Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
New member posting a howdy (as requested)
dennisanger -
I am almost positive the fairing support is a ‘bolt on’ proposition for the STD frame. If not, this may still work. Assuming it does, take a very close look at the fairing supports available on E-bay. Study to see what will be the least amount of fairing support needed to install the PoorBoy. Remember to make it sturdy. Then, simply cut off what you do not need, including any unused tabs. Paint to match the color of your bike or the color of the bikes frame. In this case, you are minimizing the amount of the uglies generated by the fairing support yet getting the support needed for the conversion. No need to invent a bracket when one already exists. Just an avenue you may want to explore. Good Luck and (sorry) keep us posted. LOL
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#16 08-17-2010, 02:51 PM,
Take a look at this support:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-Goldwing-GL-1200-Fairing-Stay-Bracket-GL1200-NL-/130420077928?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-Goldw ... ccessories</a><!-- m -->

and this one:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/honda-gl1200-goldwing-gl-1200-fairing-stay-bracket-86-/160468265961?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/honda-gl ... ccessories</a><!-- m -->

These may answer some questions.
Also, take a look at your bike's frame to see if the bolt on points are there.

Again, good luck.
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#17 08-17-2010, 03:03 PM,
bluewing Wrote:I saw a standard one time with a conversion and everything was chromed or polished, I am not sure which but it sure had a shine to it and it really looked good. I am not sure I would do that but it sure looked better than the stock car alt and brackets.

What about the exposure of the pulley and belt? Isn't anyone else concerned about that or am I missing something? All chrome alternator or polished one might look good, but I'd still be worried about that exposed belt.

I think I have to agree with Vic about the engine pull. I would hate to see a cowl frame mounted on there just to mount the alternator bracket. It would be a shame to convert this to an "Interstate or Aspy" just to cover up the alternator.

I wouldn't like pulling the engine either, but it may be your safest bet. My experience in engine removal taught me it's all in the mobility or range of motion of the jack that your holding the engine up with. If I had to do it again,( as I did changing starter clutch on my 84 Interstate) I'd consider building something to sit that jack on that rolled on 360 degree roller base. Holds the engine at the desired tilt and height, allows lateral movement, while balancing the weight of the engine, without causing it to fall or tip of the jack. I've got to ask Santa for a welder this Christmas...
Good Luck, and be safe.
8)
#18 08-23-2010, 07:06 PM,
I would think a belt cover could be fashioned in a similar fashion as the belt covers once used by Baja Bug owners. (showing my age?) Or, if given enough time and ingenuity, reshape GL1200 belt covers (they can be had in chrome too!)

Just a though as safety should always come first, and bling should come a close second.
#19 08-24-2010, 10:53 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  85 Ltd. Electrical Help Requested ForedeckYoda 1 988 09-20-2023, 07:41 PM
Last Post: Dave-1985-LTD
  !!! New Member Howdy nogotee 20 14,907 09-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Last Post: admin
  Posting a howdy 2 2,355 01-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Last Post: admin