Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
Stator & Wiring
I recently had a new Stator installed in my 85 GL1200 Interstate.

I purchased the Stator from RMStator. My mechanic discovered the stator was faulty
after he re & re'd the motor and installed the new stator. So he pulled teh motor again
and installed the second unit we received fromt RMStator. He said it charged good with
the second unit in there. Now it is three weeks later and I am on holidays in NY from Ontario
and the stator is gone again. THe same mechanic is with us and verified it.

So my question is, is thereother wiring issuesthat could be causing the stators to short out and
die ???? Is it possible that I've gotten two stators in a row that have been or gone bad ?
Anyone else had a bad experience with RMStator units ?

Thanks
Jim
#1 07-15-2010, 08:53 AM,
i think that's the stators that everybody has had early failures with "EARLY" being an understatement

do your yourself a favor and install the poorboy now,unless your mechanic is CHEAP you coulda done 3 conversions by this time

even if you didn't have lower fairing covers it wouldn't look that bad,besides you'll be able to carry that refrigerator with ya now
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#2 07-15-2010, 09:28 AM,
Oh my, I feel your pain. That's just the reason I went with the Poorboy conversion. Just the thought of removing the engine to re-do a stator. The external alternator could be switched out quickly. Depending on your resources, take your loss and move to the alt conversion. You'll love it.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#3 07-15-2010, 12:08 PM,
What they said. :YMAPPLAUSE:
#4 07-15-2010, 01:47 PM,
Hello! Sorry about your electric ! I intend to put 2k on my old honda starting sunday morning going to hit the smokies left on the blueridge and east to the obx. I was thinking what I would do in your position with a group away from home.I would buy a 150$ deep cycle battery and run it on that strapped to the seat behind me. I would pad and package it to ride well . The thing should run for days if you pull the head light fuse ,bump start. Wait and get it home and fix it on your own terms! Just my thoughts! rrboomer
#5 07-15-2010, 02:57 PM,
I feel for you but almost 10 years ago I installed an external on my Wing and I don't regret it at all. Reliable, cheap and easy to work on and the bonus is that it doesn't show on the outside.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#6 07-15-2010, 03:29 PM,
TGS Pm sent 8)
#7 07-15-2010, 06:28 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  thanks for the hard wiring stator plug info yiterp 5 2,164 12-29-2007, 06:16 PM
Last Post: admin