Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mysterious noise.
Hello all, this one is a bit of a mystery for me. My '85 Aspencade has developed a rather nasty rattle. The unusual part is that it only does it in higher gears (started only doing it in5th bur now doing it as low as 3rd). More unusual, it will not do it under acceleration or engine braking.

The engine still has plenty of power and runs smooth and I cannot replicate the noise unless I am moving. I can only guess that this is something related to the shaft drive (since I have never had a shaft drive bike before and, never encountered a situation like this before). I'd be inclined to think it a valve problem by the sound of it but that does't make any sense or it'd be doing ti all the time.

I was speaking with a co-worker who also has a couple of GL1200's and he asked me if I had a rear tire change recently. I did change both tires last summer, he seemed to think that they may not have properly lubricated the rear case and that may be the problem.

Any ideas?
#1 06-20-2010, 04:50 AM,
Don't know if this will help or not but friend of mine changed his tires last year and said he didn't use honda grease (recommended) burned it out
he said this is one thing that really does need honda product. Not sure if this is related to you or not but possible.
87 Interstate
Can't wait till my next ride !!!!
#2 06-20-2010, 07:42 AM,
If you are talking about the rear splines you need to use Molly-60 grease, you can get it a most dealers.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#3 06-20-2010, 06:06 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  mysterious leak 3 1,438 11-07-2010, 03:24 AM
Last Post: bluewing