Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
It never ends
Well... as is always the case with older stuff I get I can't seem to stop tinkering. Smile So, when the stator went, I did the alternator converstion. Smile But of course I wasn't satisfied to just do it, so I made all kinds of alterations. :? THEN.... although eveything was just fine... I decided to do the front fan conversion. :roll: All done with that and all is well. Took it for a ride with co-rider last night. Everything perfect. Big Grin So... next, Progressive springs in front and new shocks in back. :wink: Did boards w/heel/toe shifter (again with alterations to make it work better for me). Met with my son today and starting working out a new paint scheme. :lol: Can't wait till all that is done so I can hunt up one more thing to change. :roll:
Shucks, I don't have time for this, but it's so much fun. Well, you know....... :lol:
Anybody else have the same problem?
#1 06-04-2007, 12:24 PM,
But ain't it fun? Smile
#2 06-04-2007, 04:36 PM,
We discussed this just a while ago. There are alot of us out there that are using our bikes as therapy. I'll only start worrying when I have to have a couch where I work on it, or the bike starts talking back. Sometimes I think a shrink might be cheaper, but not near as fun!!
#3 06-05-2007, 04:12 PM,
You mean yours doesn't talk back? :lol:
#4 06-05-2007, 05:04 PM,
fysty-1 Wrote:Well mine was talking back @ me today. I said to heck with the threat of rain and went out for a ride to pick up some ciggies. Baby hasn't really run in about two weeks so I let her warm up while I put on my gear. With newly installed boards and T/H shifter I started out. Man o man what a difference. Strange feeling. My first experience with boards and T/H shifter. Anyway about 10min out I hear a fairly loud clicking. At first I thought it was the fan hitting sumpin' but it seemed to change with revs. then out of blue, it stops.( the noise) I was out for about an hour and this happened 4 or 5 times. scared s#*t out of me. I think she was b#*t#*ing after being left alone for so long. :? :? :? :twisted: :twisted:

yeppers,
those floorboards w/heel toe shifter are great!
Angela, did you ever find out what the noise was?
[Image: cartman_new.gif]
John McFarland
Chapter Director
GWRRA FL2-W
member 367388
#5 06-24-2007, 02:41 PM,
I sure do love my boards. I could ride with pegs but the boards are so much better. I feel more secure.
I have a question for those of you who have them.

Did you use the original shifter that came with your boards?

I had to toss mine and do a different thing but it worked out great.
#6 06-24-2007, 02:59 PM,
Does anyone have pegs they will sell cheap??
#7 07-11-2007, 11:52 AM,
If cheap means less than I paid for them, no. Mine look like new.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#8 07-11-2007, 12:01 PM,
I'm the oppisite, When I bought my bike, it had 85 differant lights on it. After having to change the pulse generator, I started removing lights. So far 65 have come off. The H/T shifter is gone. Kept the boards though. Not sure why it started missing gears, ground 4th hard a couple of times. So bye bye H/T shifter. Haven't missed a gear since I removed it.
I will admit though, some of them LED light bars get my attention.
#9 07-17-2007, 08:42 AM,
I used to have a problem with my heel/toe shifter until I took a hacksaw to it and customized it to make it fit my big foot. I made it longer and bent the forward section down a few degrees. Now I never miss a gear and I wouldn't give up the heel/toe shifter for nothing. It's all in the adjustment my friend.

#10 07-17-2007, 09:31 AM,
fysty-1 Wrote:
myplace 46 Wrote:
fysty-1 Wrote:Well mine was talking back @ me today. I said to heck with the threat of rain and went out for a ride to pick up some ciggies. Baby hasn't really run in about two weeks so I let her warm up while I put on my gear. With newly installed boards and T/H shifter I started out. Man o man what a difference. Strange feeling. My first experience with boards and T/H shifter. Anyway about 10min out I hear a fairly loud clicking. At first I thought it was the fan hitting sumpin' but it seemed to change with revs. then out of blue, it stops.( the noise) I was out for about an hour and this happened 4 or 5 times. scared s#*t out of me. I think she was b#*t#*ing after being left alone for so long. :? :? :? :twisted: :twisted:

yeppers,
those floorboards w/heel toe shifter are great!
Angela, did you ever find out what the noise was?
[Image: cartman_new.gif]

Because of the rain here, I have not been able to get @ Baby but some of the members here seem to think it is exhaust. God I hope they are right. I plan to buy a Mech. stethascope as I found out that the other day I started her up and after she warmed up, the noise came back but I was not able to pin point it. The strange thing about it is it comes and goes. That is what is most confusing. It has all the earmarks of the fan hitting somthing or the same kind of noise that the old Chevy 6's used to make when rockers were out of lashing. It sure is some strange. when riding, the noise come on about 5 min out then goes away then comes back then goes away etc etc :roll: :roll: :roll:

It is the fan hitting the alternator belt, if the alternator belt is a little on the loose side it will oscillate up and down which will allow it to touch the leading tip of the fan blades. Of course when the fan stops turning the noise goes away, it got me a few times before I figured it out.
If you have a larger than normal drive pulley this will I think exacerbate the problem.
Did you relocate the fan using Vics idea? I tried to be on the cautious side when shortening the blades but eventually chopped them down considerably but I eventually went to a different fan but still had to remove some of the housing in order to clear the belt.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#11 07-17-2007, 09:51 AM,
If you have trouble finding neutral let the clutch out ever so slightly, this makes it more difficult for the trans to jump into the next gear and it tends to want to stay in the neutral position a little better. It's a little trick I learned over the years.

#12 07-17-2007, 10:43 AM,