Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Electrical Problem
Bike runs well and everything was working, then all of a sudden my headlight, turn signals, brake light and air ride system went out. Everything else on the bike is working fine. Checked the fuses and they are good although there is no power coming to the fuse. Can anyone give me a clue what might have happened. thanks in advance
#1 06-07-2010, 06:47 AM,
I'm at work right now, so I don't have access to a wiring schematic. To the best of my knowledge, all power to the fuses comes directly from the ignition switch. Unfortunately, the power comes in in multiple wires. It's possible you have a bad switch contact, or the multiple connecter that gave Vic such problems.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=8351">viewtopic.php?f=55&t=8351</a><!-- l -->

I'll check back this evening with more info.
#2 06-07-2010, 07:16 AM,
I also had a massive electrical failure on my 87 Interstate - pulled up outside a bike shop and when I came back out & put the key in the ignition everything was dead. No fuse problem but after a bit of ferreting around I found that by jiggling one of the big wiring connectors on the RH fairing the bike came back to life. You need to go between the headstock & the fairing inner on that RH side & you will feel a number of electrical connectors all sat on a bracket there - get your hands in and give it a wriggle about & see if your power comes back.

I put it down to age + wear & tear on the connectors. Its probably worth demating the connector & cleaning the contacts - I used an electrical switch cleaner aerosol from Maplins (UK) but Radioshack probably do something similar in the US.

Anyway hope this helps.
#3 06-07-2010, 11:35 AM,
It helps to clean the connections but you also need to somehow put more tension on the female spade connector otherwise the connection will turn to heat and melt the plastic like it did on my bike. Bending the backs of the female connectors with a small screwdriver can work but if the connector has been heated you really should solder in a jumper wire to avoid further problems. On mine it was the lower right hand plug next to the fork tubes and the red wire connection, which feeds the ignition, which caused the problem.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#4 06-07-2010, 01:00 PM,
See this thread:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=7162">viewtopic.php?f=55&t=7162</a><!-- l -->

I had a similar problem, one of the connectors on the harness between the headstock and the inside of the right fairing had partially melted.
Turtle
86 Interstate, ex  police bike
85 LTD, parting out

[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#5 06-07-2010, 02:01 PM,
Thanks for the tips I will give them a try and let you guys know the out come.
#6 06-07-2010, 08:57 PM,
OK after taking the bike apart, I connected a hot wire from the battery to the wireing harness that has the headlight on it and the light works. So I started back toward the fuse box and found the ignition switch works on all the test except tl1 and tl2, wich I think are the wires that run to the fuse for the light and horn etc. If this is true can anyone tell me where to get an ignition swith with harness.
#7 06-12-2010, 11:31 PM,
Unless you can find a dealer that has one in stock you might have to go this route:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=gl1200+ignition+switch+&_cqr=true&_ipg=&_nkwusc=gl1200+ignitition+switch&_rdc=1">http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=gl1200 ... tch&_rdc=1</a><!-- m -->
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#8 06-13-2010, 12:11 AM,
OK so all this came down to a ignition switch being bad. I ofcourse started chaseing wires back and discovered they all led throught the switch and the switch was bad. So THank for al the help everyone and I now have a much better understsanding of the eletric system now
#9 06-25-2010, 01:01 PM,