Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Counter balancer wait
I was talking with one of my friends today. He seems to think the is a counter balance wait somewhere on the front of the frame (84 gl1200). Is there such an animal ? What my problem is I feel every bump, pebble in the road. I have a new E3 tire, progressive springs and have tried 3 different weights of oil (15w,10,AFT) I have tried oil levels at 10.5oz. and also clapped and measured 5 1/2 in. from top with all weights of oil. I have a spear shock tower around. I filled tower with 10.5 oz of AFT then measured from top of shock town. it is not even close to 5 1/2 in from top. so I added AFT till I achieved the 5 1/2 in from top. I then drained oil in to a measuring cup to find 12.5 oz of oil. I then added 12.5oz. to bike towers and have the same problem. I also tried turning progressive shocks upside down.
Is there a counter balance wait on the front of these bikes and if so what does it look like and location. Is there any other suggestions. #-O
#1 06-03-2010, 07:26 PM,
I not heard of a counter balance weight but, that doesn't mean there's isn't one... I not seen where it's mentioned in either my owners manual or the shop manual. A couple of things you might want to try. Check the TRAC anti-dive settings, there's 1, (soft), thru 4, (firm). Make sure they are both set the same. Mine's set at 2.

The other thing is you might want to try a lower tire pressure. I run mine @ 40psi, front and rear. It make's for a slightly stiffer ride but I love the way she handles at that pressure.. 8)
1985 Limited Edition
#2 06-03-2010, 07:41 PM,
I run 32 front 38 back trying to softening ride. I forgot to mention I weight 200 lbs. I also tried running with and without air in front. Seems like air makes it worse. I have also raised and lowered air in rear.
#3 06-03-2010, 08:07 PM,
try running your front forks with 4-5 lbs of air or less,you might try going back to atf also and start from there and try your TRAC system on 1 too

also you could try lowering the amount of oil too which should help some,progressive states max 5 1/2 inches from top with springs removed and collapsed,your 12.5 oz sounds about same as mine took too

to make things easier to change out fluids etc tap the fork cap for an 1/8 pipe plug,put caps on with springs,and 12.5 oz fluid and measure your oil height that will give you a baseline plus you wont have to pull caps again to change fluid

right now although my sei rides ok it doesn't ride as smooth as it did with standard springs but i am about to lower pressures and oil to get some of the ride quality back,nice thing is with the pipe plugs i can add fluid back easily at any time

hope this helps ya with some ideas
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#4 06-03-2010, 08:15 PM,
The TRAC system should only affect the suspension when the brakes are applied but if it is plugged/seized it could make for very firm suspension at all times.
#5 06-03-2010, 08:26 PM,
Like K Bergen said I think the TRAC system maybe plugged in one or both forks. This is the only thing I have not messed with. This will have to wait till I get back from Vacation. I leave tomorrow.

Neoracer,
as of now I am running AFT.

Thanks for all the help. You all just talked me in to checking TRAC system. Is there some kind of valve inside that I need to pay close attention to? I have an extra shock tower I will experiment with first.
#6 06-03-2010, 09:36 PM,
if you drain the air and fluid out you should be able to take the trac system off of the forks to do any checks and cleaning

when i did my fork seals and polished the forks i just ran some cleaning solvent thru them(tracs) since they did not have any sludge etc in them,did notice that the spring had to be put in a certain way though,but then again dont know what would have happened if i installed them wrong

why dont you try draining the forks and putting back 10 oz of ATF and see what happens then,what have you got to lose right?

if you are using 15 to 20 weight they are gonna ride harsher then atf
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#7 06-03-2010, 11:18 PM,
There is a cast iron counterweight ( apprx. 8 or 10 lbs. I think ) attached to the front of the triple clamps on the 1980 Interstate parts bike our garage. I was told it's there to reduce front end wobble. Is that the one you are asking about ?
#8 06-04-2010, 05:26 AM,
83 1100A has an inertia weight where the headlight would be on a standard.
#9 11-22-2014, 07:54 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suspension about done--can't wait--to feel the difference yiterp 2 1,271 09-06-2012, 02:44 AM
Last Post: Roleketu