Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
How helpful is Seafoam?
Dirty Carbs.

Repair shop suggested clean 'em, but may mean buying a re-building kit ($200-300) and labor of $300.

So, how effective is Seafoam in the tank to blow out the carbs before I chunk down $600 for a rebuild?
[Image: Goldwing%202010.jpg]
#1 05-27-2010, 10:18 AM,
If your jets aren't completely plugged and you don't have rust in the tank, Seafoam is often touted as close to miraculous. It will dissolve lacquer buildups. Often it can take more than one or two treatments to get it done but at about $8/can, I consider it well worth the try before getting wild on anything else.

Some get addicted to it but once your system is clean, it can't get any cleaner so once or twice a year is plenty, IMO. I only do a half can in a tank full every spring just to clean things out and a quarter can in the fuel as a stabilizer over the winter.

I have noticed much difference in my engine using it, including elimination of bogging down when loading the engine at lower RPMs.

Try it.
#2 05-27-2010, 11:07 AM,
Rudy,

Thanks! I found another shop in town and they offered the suggestion about use of seafoam and octane additive for a couple of tanks before we even consider taking the bike apart. So nice to find a mechanic that's looking for my long term business! I've also heard some near-miracle stories of seafoam, so we'll give it a try.

Dan
[Image: Goldwing%202010.jpg]
#3 05-27-2010, 01:46 PM,
It was nothing short of a miracle for me. I don't believe in additives, never have. However, with my experience with this stuff, it's one additive that I would pay $20 a can for any day of the week. With that said, I would assume that one would only be happy with the stuff if you have a dirty carb and no other problems.

My mechanic told me to treat the first tank according to the directions, then use what is recommended for stabilizing the fuel only in every two or three tanks afterward for a season. His reasoning was that after the initial "clean up", I don't want to loosen up so much gunk that it plugs everything up; slow and gradual is the key to avoiding problems. I believe my bike sat for a very long time before I bought it. It spit and sputtered and had no power, but ran "ok" on the highway at higher speeds; a crotch rocket it was definitely not. Your mileage may vary, but after one single treatment, I told my wife that I simply could not believe the difference. It was like night and day. I have no doubt that someone with the skill could lift the front tire straight up in the air and keep 'er there. Before the treatment, there was no way. That was two years ago and she's been running like new ever since. I put one treatment of Seafoam in it during the summer and use Stabil for the winter time.

Rich
#4 05-27-2010, 03:02 PM,
I just did my carbs and tryed Seafoam before I took 'em apart. My problem ended up being from a previous owner and and incorrectly installed float valve. No additive was gonna help that. Anyway, the carbs were spotless. No varnish build up or staining. I've used Seafoam in my truck and found it to help clean injectors and made it run smoother. Maybe it's all smoke and mirrors, but them carbs were clean when I took 'em apart.

Hey, $300 for a rebuild kit is WAY outta line! Check out Randakk's most awesome carb kits:

http://www.randakks.com/Carb%20Parts.htm#9B Everything you need to service the GL1200 carbs for $99.95!

They are a pain to remove and replace but not rocket science. I'm glad I did mine!

Good luck with the Seafoam!
Scotty P
Grafton, Ontario, Canada
1997 GL1500 SE
Gone, but not forgotten:
1985 GL1200I
1985 GL1200A
[Image: ON13_Avatar.jpg]
My Red Knights Chapter
My Professional Page
Facebook & LinkedIn
#5 05-27-2010, 05:46 PM,
I have used seafoam and did notice a difference, I don't like additives but sea foam does work.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#6 05-27-2010, 07:17 PM,
Octane additives will do nothing for your carbs.
They only reduce preignition in high compression engines but will reduce the efficiency of our lower compression engines.
#7 05-27-2010, 08:04 PM,
I can't find Seafoam in these parts so I've been using MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil) a couple of times a year. Seems to work.
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#8 05-28-2010, 07:30 AM,
I hear that Canadian Tire carries it.
Also check with marine supply stores.
#9 05-28-2010, 10:07 AM,
DannoDeManno Wrote:Dirty Carbs.

Repair shop suggested clean 'em, but may mean buying a re-building kit ($200-300) and labor of $300.

So, how effective is Seafoam in the tank to blow out the carbs before I chunk down $600 for a rebuild?

I believe in Seafoam...even if it is the placebo effect.
#10 05-28-2010, 11:23 AM,
Yes, Angela we have a NAPA store here but, to be honest, I never thought of checking with them. Maybe when my MMO supply runs low. Thanks for the tip.
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#11 05-28-2010, 02:38 PM,
Here is a link for Canadian Retailers

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.seafoamsales.com/canadian-retailers.html">http://www.seafoamsales.com/canadian-retailers.html</a><!-- m -->
#12 05-29-2010, 08:55 PM,
Think what you want about seafoam,
I for one know it is the very best.

For trashed carbs use a 50-50 mix of seafoam and gasoline
this is how Ford motor company techs clean injectors and carbs.

I have used it like this many times and it works.
Your bike will smoke like crazy but dont be alarmed its doing its job.

Start your bike to warm the engine up to operating temp.
Drain the tank, use siphon pump or your favorite method
pour 1 can of seafoam into the tank follow with the same amount of gas,
start the bike it will start easy on the straight fuel still in the carbs,
you may have to tweak the throttle a bit after the seafoam gets into the system.
Run the bike untill the seafoam/ fuel mix is used.
refill the tank with known fresh gas, not gas that has been in a gas can for a week.
but fresh gas.

Go for a ride, if its not running much better already run at least one tank through the bike
some times performance will improve after several miles.

if not better after a full tank of fuel is run through you will need to remove carbs and clean them.
#13 05-29-2010, 09:07 PM,
For my part, Seafoam brought a non-running project bike to a running project bike after one can! My 87 was not running when I got it (the guy I bought it from gave up on it). I put a can of Seafoam in it and tinkered and tinkered until I got it to run under choke and then ran the snot out of it. By the time I was done, the bike turned over easy and ran under choke (I had to tear down the carbs anyway but it's not a bad job on an 87...jets were plugged up). For what it's worth, it worked like a dream! I use it for storage in everything now! It'll smoke A LOT while it's running through the system but it's doing its job!
#14 06-25-2010, 02:27 AM,
Hello, I just bought a 1984 GL1200I and the float is sticking. Does anyone know if Seafoam will help that. I bought the bike for a winter project to restore (doesn't really need much :d ) but the weather is looking great for the weekend and I just got the brakes working. It would be a crime to pass up a good weekend to break her in.

Thanks,
Joel
#15 11-09-2010, 09:25 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seafoam Carb & Fuel System Cleaner Ranch55 7 2,921 02-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Last Post: catman