Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Voltage Rectifier for a sei 1200
31600-mg9-951 is the part number for the regulator. New from a Honda dealer you are looking at about $200 for it. From http://www.servicehonda.com it's about $150. JC Whitney also has a regulator that is supposed to work on the LTD/SEi for about $110. Electrosport makes one that they say will fit the LTD/SEi, but my LTD has burned up two of them. Very dissapointed in there products at this point. The final thing to do is to keep an eye on ebay for a used one. I got one off them a couple of days ago for about $30.

Make sure it comes from the '85 LTD or the '86 SEi. The LTD/SEi's charging system is about 150 or so watts (lets say about 13 amps more) larger then the Standard, Interstate, or Aspencade. What this means is that the LTD/SEi will kill any regulator that you put on it from the smaller charging systems.

Whatever route you go, best of luck.
#1 12-29-2006, 08:53 PM,
No problem, now do it only once, and you can really brag. It seems like a few of us LTD/SEi guys have had to put a new regulator in right on the heels of the old one.
#2 01-05-2007, 11:05 AM,
David,

I bought an OEM one for the LTD/Sei from Ebay, but it was really from here (he is not on Ebay anymore that I am aware of): http://cruisersplus.com/voltreg.php?make=0

He still has them listed on his site ($140), but you would need to call to make sure. The regulator/rectifier was IDENTICAL to the original on the bike. No problems with it this past summer.
Paul from Ohio
85 LTD
#3 01-05-2007, 07:42 PM,
Something I've wondered about, can you put the larger regulator on the smaller charging systems?
#4 01-05-2007, 10:40 PM,
Not without some fancy re-wiring. There's an additional plug on the 500 watt regulator.
Time for studs,, and/or skis

GL1500SE (for sale), GL1800 Bob in So. Oregon
#5 01-09-2007, 12:58 PM,
Hardly a big job, on mine the extra plug has two of the three stator wires. So Oregonwinger, dose that mean you think such a foolish thing could work?
#6 01-09-2007, 04:05 PM,
I think it would be a good thing to do, but it would sure confuse a future owner. LOL
Time for studs,, and/or skis

GL1500SE (for sale), GL1800 Bob in So. Oregon
#7 01-09-2007, 04:07 PM,
LOL, yeah, but I think every one of us that hasn't owned our bike sence new will look at something and thinkg "what was the PO smoking?"
#8 01-10-2007, 07:39 AM,
I relate to that! When I got mine there were about 6 wires from the positive battery terminal. I followed them to find most went to nothing at all (with electrical tape on a cut wire.) I just removed those, and the others I moved to the IGN circuit where they should be. At least one should have had a fuse so I added one.

But I admit: If I ever sell mine (no plans to do so) the next owner will probably ask the same question. ;-) There are a few things I've done "creatively".

Edit: Wow, I'm replying to year-old post.
Paul
'86 SEi
#9 01-09-2008, 03:12 PM,
RustyTheDog Wrote:Edit: Wow, I'm replying to year-old post.

I've seen alot of that lately!! :wink:
1985 Limited Edition
#10 01-09-2008, 10:24 PM,
I have a friend in our Chapter that has acquired a 1986 sei, it has the on board computer on the tank. The rectifier has burn up and I have a replacement that I thought he could use. Can anyone tell me the difference between the one that came off the bike, the number is SH574-12 5N and the one that I have is SH541-12 6.5. Not sure why? Can anyone help please

Thanks
Tony Cefalu
Metairie Louisiana
#11 04-17-2012, 02:23 PM,
if it has the two plugs ,one with six wires and one with two stator wire(yellow) it should work

make sure that the stator connector has been hardwired and also the solenoid connector is removed and 30 AMP fuseholder wired into the system,replacing the dogbones
once the regulator is determined ok,its best to remove the connectors and hardwire the regulator into the system,this removes most of the ltd/sei electrical problem areas

basically the sei/ltd's use the same basic wiring connectors,etc but there is approx 60% more current going thru the system max which is why they usually have more connector problems
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#12 04-17-2012, 04:07 PM,
neoracer Wrote:if it has the two plugs ,one with six wires and one with two stator wire(yellow) it should work

This should work but is no guarantee. I bought my SEi with a known bad rectifier. I ordered one from Saber-cycle and it came with the two plugs (standard GL1200 is a single plug). I burnt that rectifier up in about 25 miles...as I did with the the two more they sent after.

Thinking that there was something on my bike popping the part I was on the phone with Saber-cycle's tech support guy and I just happened to ask about the difference between the standard 1200 and the SEi/LTD rectifiers. His reply was that other than the plugs there was no difference and that he had removed the single plug and installed the two plugs so it would fit my bike. I immediately ordered another rectifier from another supplier and the difference in weight is noticeable.

So, when you replace the thing and if it blows after working for short while, it could that you ordered the correct part but was sent the wrong one.

Good luck!

Jack
'86 Apencade SEi
#13 04-18-2012, 09:16 AM,
the only regulator that has been known to work reliably is the factory style shidigen
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/catalog/1985-1986-Honda-Goldwing-GL1200-SEI-LTD-Regulator-Rectifier">http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/catal ... -Rectifier</a><!-- m -->

any others are failures in short while no matter what they claim

for someone to admit that they took a standard regulator for a gl1200 and adapted it to be an LTD/SEI regulator is absolutely DISHONEST,if this was bought on ebay i would take any information and send a complaint to ebay and request my money back,i'd also complain to my credit card company regardless of what ebay/paypal says if they refuse to honor a refund,i would also give them poor feedback

members beware IF YOU FIND something wrong with an ebay item,complain and give them a POOR feedback if you aren't satified with their service( product),when sellers get POOR feedback it effects what they pay to sell their items on ebay,sellers will bend over backwards to correct any poor feedback,it just doesn't effect their rates on your sale,it effects their rates ongoing
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#14 04-18-2012, 02:21 PM,