Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
solenoid
Does anybody know of a automobile crossover solenoid for a 1984 interstate ? Any help would be appreciated.
#1 04-30-2007, 02:38 PM,
are you talking about the starter solenoid?
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 04-30-2007, 03:20 PM,
Yes the starter solenoid? I was just wondering if it had a cross over to add to my crossover list. Also my 84 interstate has a starting problem ran fine all week then when I went to start it nothing. When you hit the starter button the light go dim and you hear a slight sizzling sound from the battery. Checked the battery and full charge tested the starter by disconnecting the solenoid and by jumping from my truck and the starter turns. Checked the solenoid and it tested good. When you turn on the key it show es discharge if it is in neutral and you try to start it nothing if it is in gear hit the starter button and the tach goes up to 3000 rpm release the button tach back to zero.The only thing that started happening before not starting the neutral light would come on in first gear. I have done the echarness and alt conversion any help with this would be greatly appreciated. :?:
#3 04-30-2007, 05:43 PM,
What is the condition of the plug by the solenoid, these things can get burnt so that the connections aren't good. I had to replace my main fuse with an auto spade fuse.
The sizzling sound could be a poor electrical connection. If the solenoid is good. check for voltage at the yellow/red wire when the starter button is pressed and check for a good ground on the green/red wire. those are the wires that control the solenoid.

#4 04-30-2007, 06:54 PM,
I replaced the plug and went to the auto spade fuse when I did the echarness. The voltage on th red wire and yellow wire is 11.38
#5 05-01-2007, 01:55 PM,
Presumably you checked the other side for ground?

#6 05-01-2007, 02:35 PM,
Yes the ground is good took the solenoid completely out of line put a jumper cable to the battery pos cable and jumped to the cable going to the starter and started right up Big Grin
#7 05-01-2007, 04:26 PM,
Thanks for the help things become clearer when you have someone to bounce ideas off of. Found a solenoid for $44 at old bike barn so should be up and running in a while. Big Grin
#8 05-02-2007, 09:57 AM,
onlyifitmoves Wrote:snip Checked the solenoid and it tested good. snip
:?:

In your first post you say the solenoid tested good? So why buy another?

#9 05-02-2007, 01:05 PM,
After finding the new solenoid it is just made allot better than the one that I altered with the spade type fuse. Also inspecting the one I have now I can see a (stress) hairline crack in the metal bottom so better to be safe than sorry so that is why I bought the upgraded solenoid when I do trips I am usually 1-2000 miles out and would sure hate to have something go wrong with the old one. Solenoid removed no drain after you jump from the battery cable to the starter cable. Put the solenoid back in-line turn the key on drain on the battery and will not start.
#10 05-02-2007, 11:28 PM,
I should not of used the word (stress) to describe the hairline crack.
#11 05-03-2007, 09:52 AM,