Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
where is the best place to get acc power?
So I re-wired my aftermarket fork lights (front running lights) all new from the Battery-thru-an inline fuse- to a relay-to the lights. I want to pull acc power, after the key is turned on, thru a switch, and then back to the relay to activate the 12v connection back to the lights. The idea is that if the key is on and I throw the switch the light will be activted. If the key gets turned off the lights will turn off. Where is the best place to tap into the existing wires to get the acc power that will shut off when the key is turned off? I placed my relay right above the air box.
#1 05-04-2010, 08:44 PM,
The ACC terminal on the fuse box would be the most logical choice.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#2 05-05-2010, 02:20 AM,
Logical yes..... but if you have never have done that before ..... Im guessing I would pull the four screws from the bottom of the fuse box, split it and look for the acc wire from there? Ah heck I'll just go start pulling wires apart, when I get zapped with the key on I'll hook up to that.
#3 05-05-2010, 06:23 AM,
Once you open the fuse box you will see two terminals/screws for you accessory wires to attach to, this is a very good place for your switch wire on a relay to come from. Also add a switch on that wire so that you can turn the lights on and off manually whist the bike it running.
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#4 05-05-2010, 06:55 AM,
unionjack Wrote:Once you open the fuse box you will see two terminals/screws for you accessory wires to attach to, this is a very good place for your switch wire on a relay to come from. Also add a switch on that wire so that you can turn the lights on and off manually whist the bike it running.
That's great for an Interstate or Aspencade but he has an LTD which doesn't have the terminals as far as I can see.
#5 05-05-2010, 07:02 AM,
dadswieser Wrote:Logical yes..... but if you have never have done that before ..... Im guessing I would pull the four screws from the bottom of the fuse box, split it and look for the acc wire from there? Ah heck I'll just go start pulling wires apart, when I get zapped with the key on I'll hook up to that.

I just checked and the LTD does not have ACC terminals in the fuse box, in it's place it has 2 relays instead. You can still power a relay from one of these relay (lighting or compressor) wires because the current draw to feed the coil on the relay is so low but don't take your power from there to the lights or you might have a problem.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#6 05-05-2010, 07:43 AM,
previous PO's hard already been into the wiring on my sei,but i found an acc source by finding a switched wire coming off one of the conncetors from the main fuse box and searched within the harnesses till i found a 12v souce that went off when i pulled the acc fuse then traced the wire till i found what it was connected to,

seems the previous PO had used it for a source for his driving lights,that source now powers about six relays that are switched and the relays use direct fused 12V from the battery
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#7 05-05-2010, 11:18 AM,