Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Hi Beam doesn't work
I know it's legal here in Arkansas and I have several friends that have it on their bike. I'm thinking about putting one on my bike.
Bryce
85 Interstate Wineberry Red
86 Interstate Denuim Blue Metalic
#16 05-12-2010, 11:26 AM,
The headlight modulator is legal in all 50 states per federal vehicle codes since 1995, and most states prior to that date, and all Canadian provinces too.
It is the best safety device money can buy next to your helmet, but cannot replace good rider awareness and skills.
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#17 05-13-2010, 08:44 PM,
I think I've got a link somewhere to the federal statute that say's that it's legal to use a headlight modulator. I'll see if I can find it and post it...
1985 Limited Edition
#18 05-13-2010, 10:09 PM,
Here is what I found for both Canada and US.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-t...r-regs.htm

-Canada-

Canadian Code of Regulations Governing Motorcycle Headlight Modulators in Canada
Print this page to keep with you on your motorcycle in case you get stopped by the Police.

Technical Standards Document No. 108, Revision 4 — Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment
See this link: Section S7.9 Motorcycles
Effective Date: June 9, 2007
Mandatory Compliance Date: December 9, 2007
S7.9.4 Motorcycle headlamp modulation system

S7.9.4.1 A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to modulate either the upper beam or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a lesser intensity, provided that:

(a) The rate of modulation shall be 240 ± 40 cycles per minute.

(b) The headlamp shall be operated at maximum power for 50 to 70 percent of each cycle.

© The lowest intensity at any test point shall be not less than 17 percent of the maximum intensity measured at the same point.

(d) The modulator switch shall be wired in the power lead of the beam filament being modulated and not in the ground side of the circuit.

(e) Means shall be provided so that both the lower beam and upper beam remain operable in the event of a modulator failure.

(f) The system shall include a sensor mounted with the axis of its sensing element perpendicular to a horizontal plane. Headlamp modulation shall cease whenever the level of light emitted by a tungsten filament light operating at 3000 degrees Kelvin is either less than 270 lux (25 foot-candles) of direct light for upward pointing sensors or less than 60 lux (5.6 foot-candles) of reflected light for downward pointing sensors. The light is measured by a silicon cell type light meter that is located at the sensor and pointing in the same direction as the sensor. A Kodak Gray Card (Kodak R-27) is placed at ground level to simulate the road surface in testing downward pointing sensors.

(g) When tested in accordance with the test profile shown in Figure 9, the voltage drop across the modulator when the lamp is on at all test conditions for 12 volt systems and 6 volt systems shall not be greater than 0.45 volt. The modulator shall meet all the provisions of this TSD the standard after completion of the test profile shown in Figure 9.

(h) Means shall be provided so that both the lower and upper beam function at design voltage when the headlamp control switch is in either the lower or upper beam position when the modulator is off.

For more information, contact:
Motor Vehicle Standards and Research Branch
Road Safety and Motor Vehicle Regulation Directorate
TRANSPORT CANADA
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0N5

-USA-

Official U.S. Code of Federal Regulations Governing Motorcycle Headlight Modulators
Print this page to keep with you on your motorcycle in case you get stopped by the Police.

This Federal law supersedes all state laws and makes motorcycle headlight modulators legal in all 50 states. FMVSS 108 (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) (49 CFR Part 571.108 S7.9.4) allows motorcycle headlight modulation systems all 50 states provided they comply with the standards set forth in this section. Title 49 USC 30103 (b1) (US Codes) prohibits any state from forbidding a system that conforms to FMVSS 108. Click here to see the regulation.

Code of Federal Regulation - Title 49, Volume 5, Parts 400 to 999 - Revised as of October 1, 2000
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access [CITE: 49CFR571.108] [Page 236-307]
TITLE 49: TRANSPORTATION - CHAPTER V, NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
PART 571, FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS - Subpart B--Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards - Sec. 571.108 Standard No. 108;

Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment - S7.9.4 Motorcycle headlamp modulation system.
S7.9.4.1 A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to modulate either the upper beam or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a
lesser intensity, provided that:

(a) The rate of modulation shall be 240 <plus-minus> 40 cycles per minute.
(b) The headlamp shall be operated at maximum power for 50 to 70 percent of each cycle.
© The lowest intensity at any test point shall be not less than 17 percent of the maximum intensity measured at the same point.
(d) The modulator switch shall be wired in the power lead of the beam filament being modulated and not in the ground side of the circuit.
(e) Means shall be provided so that both the lower beam and upper beam remain operable in the event of a modulator failure.
(f) The system shall include a sensor mounted with the axis of its sensing element perpendicular to a horizontal plane. Headlamp modulation shall cease whenever the level of light emitted by a tungsten filament light operating at 3000 deg. Kelvin is either less than 270 lux (25 foot-candles) of direct light for upward pointing sensors or less than 60 lux (5.6 foot-candles) of reflected light for downward pointing sensors. The light is measured by a silicon cell type light meter that is located at the sensor and pointing in the same direction as the sensor. A Kodak Gray Card (Kodak R-27) is placed at ground level to simulate the road surface in testing downward pointing sensors.
(g) When tested in accordance with the test profile shown in Figure 9, the voltage drop across the modulator when the lamp is on at all test conditions for 12 volt systems and 6 volt systems shall not be greater than .45 volt. The modulator shall meet all the provisions of the standard after completion of the test profile shown in Figure 9.
(h) Means shall be provided so that both the lower and upper beam function at design voltage when the headlamp control switch is in either the lower or upper beam position when the modulator is off.

S7.9.4.2(a) Each motorcycle headlamp modulator not intended as original equipment, or its container, shall be labeled with the maximum
wattage, and the minimum wattage appropriate for its use. Additionally, each such modulator shall comply with S7.9.4.1 (a) through (g)
when connected to a headlamp of the maximum rated power and a headlamp of the minimum rated power, and shall provide means so
that the modulated beam functions at design voltage when the modulator is off.

(b) Instructions, with a diagram, shall be provided for mounting the light sensor including location on the motorcycle, distance above the
road surface, and orientation with respect to the light.
#19 05-14-2010, 08:18 AM,
It appears that I am in violation of the US law.

I don't have an "eye" to sense the level of lux. I got mine from JCWhitney and I only have an override switch. When the sun sets or when the outside light is about that in rain, fog, etc, I override the modulator or switch to low beam.

Oh no, a law breaker. Does this mean I have to run for office???

Spank me. ;Wink
#20 05-14-2010, 08:25 AM,
Seems like you would need to be carrying a lawyer with you to argue with the cop that pulls you over for having a flashing light. I know a couple of guys who got a ticket for running the modulator but they both beat the tickets in courts. Many police officers think that flashing headlites are illegal and feel they should only be used on emergency vehicles such as ambulances and fire trucks. Police know their jobs but they don't necessarily know all the laws.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#21 05-14-2010, 11:31 AM,
Good point Vic, laws change constantly.
#22 05-14-2010, 12:13 PM,
Hey, speaking of the Sylvania Silverstar, I have seen it online as low at $17.

I checked the local auto parts store last night, they want $27......

is it likely this is the same bulb? or do they make a couple different ones? I was just surprised at the variation in price. Is $26.99 a fair retail price for that one?
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#23 05-15-2010, 06:45 AM,
They make many different models of the Silverstar to fit cars and bikes.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#24 05-15-2010, 04:50 PM,
admin Wrote:Police know their jobs but they don't necessarily know all the laws.
Correct.
Here in BC it is legal to make a left turn onto the right lane of a multiple lane roadway as long as you do so within the intersection.
If you did so in front of a police officer I sure you'd see flashing blue and red lights though.
#25 05-15-2010, 05:16 PM,
Quote:They make many different models of the Silverstar to fit cars and bikes.

I'm sorry, I wasn't specific enough.....the H4 Silverstar in the parts store was $27.....and I saw it online for mere $17. I was just shocked at the difference in pricing. But I guess until you add in shipping, etc...........the cost would be close to the same.
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#26 05-15-2010, 05:29 PM,
copman70 Wrote:Thanks for all the help. So I am looking for a Silverstar H4. What about if I wanted to replace all my lights since I do not know how long the lights that are in there have been in? Turn signals, brake, etc?

>>>>>I am running the Sylvania H4 Silverstar ULTRA and it is a real flame-thrower. btw, I hope I am not breking the law--too much-- hi hi, but might I be? Also am gonna be doing the Poorboy this winter in my new garage w/my new hf lift and all. I have really been following and taking notice of things here since I arrived back in May, 10. And I really appreciate all I have been reading and learning and taking notes and committing to memory.

DWIGHT, wd8inn
Akron, OH
'85 Aspencade w/77.5 kmi -- put on over 2500 since I got the bike in mid-March, 10.
boy, has it been a blast out of the past, too.
#27 09-01-2010, 02:32 AM,
I have been running a modulator on my 85 for a while and it really makes the cagers notice me. They even slow down when they see me coming up behind them. Maybe they think I am a cop. :lol: :lol:
Bryce
85 Interstate Wineberry Red
86 Interstate Denuim Blue Metalic
#28 09-01-2010, 05:57 PM,
I put the headlight modulator on my new '84 Aspencade.
I am sure that it saved our bacon (Canadian-ism eh?) at least once already.
I was driving on the Transcanada highway and was approaching an unmarked intersection.
There was one car facing me on the highway, about to make a left turn in front of me.
There was also one car on my right side, about to turn into the flow of traffic in front of me.
I slowed down and was making bets in my head as to which vehicle would turn in front of me first.
Everybody stayed put and I cruised on by.
I immediately thought that the flashing headlight caught their attention long enough for us to get by.
It's worth the 100 bucks in my opinion! @-)
#29 09-01-2010, 07:27 PM,
A modulator came with my bike.
I do not have an electric eye, therefore, I must be in violation of the current law.
I do have the option of turning the modulation off.

I can say for a FACT, the modulator has made me visible to folks wanting to change lanes as they are looking in the side view mirror.
I have seen them look in the mirror as they are crossing over, only to see the car get jerked back to its lane.

As a gesture of acknowledgement and appreciation, I nod or raise some fingers off the throttle to let them know they have done good.

Good dog. That’s a good, good dog.

As a community, we should acknowledge that the drivers have seen us and given us the right-of-way.

…. Okay, the bike is clean, but I’m gonna go wax something anyway……….
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#30 09-02-2010, 09:10 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lost my High beam keystone373 2 1,009 10-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Last Post: neoracer
  Headlight Low beam went out, what buld to replace it with? 3 1,266 04-23-2009, 09:53 PM
Last Post: FatherWilliam57
  I can't find my low beam. wingin' it 10 3,003 01-31-2008, 11:07 AM
Last Post: admin
  Right Turn Signals: Work - Don't Work! WingMan71 12 3,355 12-15-2007, 08:14 PM
Last Post: admin