Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
FUEL LINE?
Need to replace the tube between the fuel pump and fuel filter.. I know its not the original but I dont know what size (diameter) of tubing I need to use.. Cannot find it in the manual either.. I suppose there is specific tubing for a fuel line vs any old clear plastic tubing?
#1 04-27-2010, 02:12 PM,
1/4 inch hose for '85 Interstate. NEVER use clear tubing. Use only fuel specified hose. Fuel will break down clear tubing. As it "melts", guess where it ends up. You don't want any part of that.
#2 04-27-2010, 05:49 PM,
OK so not sure where to find that tube..
but get this?? the originals are still available..
PRICE quote from honda dealer... $165 Confusedhock: Confusedhock:
#3 04-28-2010, 08:00 AM,
olddude53 Wrote:OK so not sure where to find that tube..
but get this?? the originals are still available..
PRICE quote from honda dealer... $165 Confusedhock: Confusedhock:
It sounds like the dealer quoted the fuel pump price. Confusedhock:
Most any auto parts store will have bulk fuel line.
#4 04-28-2010, 08:21 AM,
Canadian tire is where I got mine from
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#5 04-28-2010, 09:09 AM,
I just took mine off and brought it to Car Quest to have the size matched. They have metric and SAE sizes in their hose.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#6 04-28-2010, 01:27 PM,
Somebody else said CDN tire didnt have proper fuel lines..just plastic tubing, so I will pop down the street and check.
Apparently Parts Canada has some different ones..
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.partscanada.com/catalogue/2009/ds/en/pages/0848.html">http://www.partscanada.com/catalogue/20 ... /0848.html</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.partscanada.com/catalogue/2010/mcv2/en/pages/0524.html">http://www.partscanada.com/catalogue/20 ... /0524.html</a><!-- m -->
but was told russell needs special tools to put on?
#7 04-28-2010, 02:17 PM,
I changed the clamps to stainless hose type and the hose is available over the counter at the parts dept 1/4" for the interstate and aspy 5/16 ltd

#8 04-28-2010, 02:28 PM,
Unless you know exactly what you need and the knowledge to tell quality from junk steer clear of Cambodian Tire.
You may luck out and find a qualified parts person to help you but go back next month and you'll find that his/her work hours have been cut and in all probability he/she has found a job elsewhere.
#9 04-28-2010, 02:53 PM,
Well I guess you could go to NAPA ( North Asian Parts Ass) or any of the other auto parts stores, you going to be buying the same hose made in china only for premium prices.

You march to the counter, say to who ever is there "I want 2 feet of 1/4" fuel hose" they go to the rolls of hose and providing they dont chop off a finger... you get your hose.

Similar to the stainless brake lines, they only make the stuff in China... sells for about 4$ per foot or so, chuck in two 9$ fittings.... walla you now have a brake line selling for about $60 or thereabouts.

#10 04-28-2010, 07:49 PM,
tricky Wrote:Well I guess you could go to NAPA ( North Asian Parts Ass)
I love it, we could come up a million of those. :lol:

I'm glad you think that all parts are created equal but it just isn't so. For instance I was buying my trailer plugs at Cambodian Tire and replacing them every two years do to rusted pinch screws. I went to Lordco and got the same style plug in all stainless steel, perhaps twice the price but it should last my lifetime.
#11 04-28-2010, 08:34 PM,
People are not willing to pay twice the price though, thats why we have dollar stores and Walmart etc.

Even some 1800 owners ( they must be rich Smile ) go to Harbour Freight to buy their motorcycle trailers (china made) $300 beats $3500 any day Smile
I am a poor boy I can't afford stainless Smile a dab of di-electric grease on the pinch screws and wiring, they will last quite a while.

#12 04-29-2010, 04:29 AM,
Well this has proved interesting..
First Cdn tire... HUH? FUEL WHAT?... not over the counter here.. may have some in the isles.. (didnt)
Honda dealer.. only stock metric sizes.. Honda you say.. Honda dropped us Jan 1st this year..
another dealer.. we just use plastic tubing when we replace it.. it will last fine..... no thanks..can get that anywhere..
Next SMALL dealer.. I get mine from the VW dealer over the counter..just cut me some.. 6mm good stuff works great will fit the wing..
Another Cdn tire.. real nice polite kid... sorry sir no longer have the rolls but we have the PRESTONE brand right here 2ft $5 sorry its made in china like most stuff but better than plastic tubing.. thanks kid that should do fine..
#13 05-03-2010, 01:21 PM,
So what size did you buy?
Remember the stock hose was 5.5mm ID and 1/4" hose is 6.35mm ID.
It'll slip on fine but you'll need good quality clamps to make it seal if you bought 1/4".
#14 05-03-2010, 02:23 PM,
got 1/4" that was recommended above.
#15 05-03-2010, 02:27 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fuel Line Size tgsguitar 2 2,076 04-03-2013, 10:49 AM
Last Post: tgsguitar