Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Up-shifting - Foot peg & Gearshift Pedal
Another "newbie" type question. I noticed that when I try to shift gears, my foot seems at an awkward angle in order to "upshift". I am currently wearing a running shoe but want to switch over to more protection. I bought a pair of Icon leather boots and now the angle seems more intense.

I noticed that the "foot peg" seems to be adjustable. The question "Is it?" If so then I should be able to drop it down abit so that the angle is not as steep.

Yes? Any suggestions.
#1 04-27-2010, 10:23 AM,
I wear size 14 3E boots :lol: and can shift without much trouble. But when I was a newbie, I did have to get used to it. As I recall -- aside from adjusting the best angle for the foot peg to fit you -- between the engine and crash bar there isn't much wiggle room. I tend to sit a bit forward in the seat to get the best angle of attack for upshifting.

One thing is for sure, I wouldn't wear running shoes on my bike. A couple of times in the beginning before I got used to managing my '85 Interstate, it keeled over on me (I just did a couple of dumb things like not having my feet in position on the ground in time when I came to a stop). Once the bike caught my foot under the crash bar with maybe 300 to 400 lbs of force. Without those boots, no doubt my foot would have been squashed. But the heavy sole and tough leather upper of my boots prevent serious damage to my foot -- I'm sure of it. Also, if you touch a hot exhaust pipe with your bare ankle sticking out of a running shoe, you'll smell grilled ankle. I have a couple of ankle burns on my boots -- and didn't feel a thing.

After trying dozens of them, I've found the BEST riding boots (I own THREE pairs of them)to be the low cut, zippered
Skechers Men's Cinder Twist Motorcycle Boots

[Image: skech164827_41823_lg.jpg]

They are not very expensive -- about $75 or less with discounts at shoebuy.com. And if you don't need size 14 3E they should be easy to find. Although -- now's the season and they may be getting soldout.

Be safe!

++++++++++++++++++++

Yeh, I couldn't find the above boots anywhere but there are a pretty good and not expensive pair of similar Harley's (lace boots with buckle) for $60. sizes 6M to 13M

[Image: 1767.jpg]
[Image: Akriti2450x338.jpg]

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#2 04-27-2010, 01:22 PM,
You can remove the shifter and slip it up, or down a notch on the splines of the shaft. You can also bend the shifter out away from the motor slightly too if need be.
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#3 04-27-2010, 01:48 PM,
Hi Granpah & Unionjack

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I have been lucky to date wearing running shoes (pushing my luck). Never really thought about the hot exhaust pipe. My boots look very similar to the pics you sent (much appreciated). I had planned on starting to wear in conjunction with my upcoming Motorcycle Safety course and will take your advice and make it a mandatory practice.

Will also look at adjusting the shifter.

This is a great forum for a newbie to draw upon experience of so many - Thanks again

Cheers.
#4 04-27-2010, 02:24 PM,
can u post us a picture of your heel toe shifter,depending on the brand it may not be very adjustable but
u may be able to do what i had to do to fix it

if you cant post it on the site email it to me
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#5 04-27-2010, 02:58 PM,
gwrookie Wrote:Never really thought about the hot exhaust pipe.

Especially near the exhaust manifold, if a bike has been running on the highway at 70mph for an hour the pipes get red hot. ALthough they are kind of under the bike, still it is possible to touch it with your foot and get a really bad burn if exposed flesh touches it. In fact, very long ago, I got a bad burn on my Honda 305 - a mini bike compared to the gl1200: I was driving around New York City on it in shorts and a pair of Nikes, and made contact between the exhaust and just above the ankle. It took weeks to heal. Once you get burned, you never forget it. B-(

Examples of m'cycle muffler burns:
[Image: Leg+burn.JPG]

[Image: muffler-burn-pic.JPG]
[Image: Akriti2450x338.jpg]

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#6 04-28-2010, 02:28 AM,