Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
engine swap-no fire (cdi specs)
#-O hi iam new to her,i am a ex-honda mech. of three years and put a 4.9l spfi in a fiero with a five speed without a hitch.At the honda shop i worked on wings including my 1st one a 1980 gl1100 s, a basket cace. 2nd one 1985 gl1200 i never had to any major repairs will i was there (engine tear downs) but did everything else.my problem is this my current bike is a 1200 a with 105,000 miles showing, i had a major engine issues caused by human error (myself)i swaped in a 85 ltd into my 84 asp. . Did not have to change gas tank and had to change pulse gen. connector and the neutral switch connector left coolant sensor and knock sensor in to plug the holes so far no problems. Now here is the problem, I had spark and the engine poped off a couple of times then no fire on any plug, the pg's are ohming out at 168 that is low according to the book but the readings change when the engine turns over.I used the 84 cdi box, since the ohms are 1200-1300 on the 84 is it posible i fried the cdi? What is the specs on the 84 cdi and how do you check it? ps i had my 85 loose two cycl. on start up one day and after checking and replaceing pg's like my boss thought it was what my 1st thought was a $450.00 cdi, he said in 15 years working on bikes that was the 1st cdi in a 1200 goldwing.
#1 04-22-2010, 10:00 PM,
you put the fuel injected engine in a Carbed Bike? are you using the FI system?

I changed a SEI to carbs in the 90s, customer took it to every Honda dealer in Western Canada.no one could get it to run. so I removed all the computorized crap and put on a single carb setup that I made from scratch.had to put a fuel pressure regulator in it, but it ran fine.
so not sure what you all did?
#2 04-23-2010, 06:26 AM,
[quote="scott74 What is the specs on the 84 cdi and how do you check it? quote]

I've never seen any specs on the cdi and I've never seen one fail but I have seen and heard of quite a few ignition switches failing and causing a no spark situation, in fact the ignition switch was recalled by the factory because sometimes it would kill the spark randomly in traffic. If you have the original ignition switch and it's bad Honda will still pay to replace it.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#3 04-23-2010, 07:11 AM,
I changed my bike from an Interstate to an Aspencade a few years ago. I MADE sure I got all the harnesses and parts I needed, (still need 1 relay). I changed the fairing to an Aspencade fairing with digital dash (came complete with fairing wiring harness), changed the complete frame wiring harness and everything works fine except for one tailight sensor.

I actually am considering changing my carbureted GL1200 to a fuel injected engine, but the thing is you will need everything to make sure it runs properly. I would carefully go through the wiring diagram and see what differences there are between the two bikes. You need to make sure you have all the modules and sensors needed to make the fuel injected engine run properly. I would think the CDI and many other modules would be different from a carbureted to an injected wing, but it's best to cross-check part numbers to be sure.

Best wishes.
Don W., Winchester, KY
#4 04-23-2010, 07:18 AM,
I just looked at the parts microfiches for both bikes and the cdi is evidently quite different for both bikes. I have a standard square module on my Interstate, (I think it's the same for the Aspencade), but the LTD has a different setup, totally.
I'm sure that's part of your problem. The spark has to occur at the right time and work with the fuel injection system. Your Aspencade cdi is probably not going to work with the LTD system, (just my opinion, but I'm not a master Goldwing mechanic - just love to work on my bike).

If I were going to switch to a fuel injected bike, I would buy a complete bike and switch all the components over. What I'm going to do with my bike is buy a LTD and switch all the plastic over, (because I spent over a year sanding, and fixing and painting my bike and over $2000 in paint alone).

Don W.
#5 04-23-2010, 07:34 AM,
Here's what I found on the parts fiches:
This one for the '85 LTD:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.westernhonda.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=146796&category=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=1985&fveh=3450">http://www.westernhonda.com/fiche_secti ... &fveh=3450</a><!-- m -->

This one for the '84 Aspencade

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.westernhonda.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=146205&category=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=1984&fveh=3442">http://www.westernhonda.com/fiche_secti ... &fveh=3442</a><!-- m -->

They ARE different.

Don W.
#6 04-23-2010, 07:40 AM,
dwitgoldwing Wrote:I just looked at the parts microfiches for both bikes and the cdi is evidently quite different for both bikes. I have a standard square module on my Interstate, (I think it's the same for the Aspencade), but the LTD has a different setup, totally.
I'm sure that's part of your problem. The spark has to occur at the right time and work with the fuel injection system. Your Aspencade cdi is probably not going to work with the LTD system, (just my opinion, but I'm not a master Goldwing mechanic - just love to work on my bike).

If I were going to switch to a fuel injected bike, I would buy a complete bike and switch all the components over. What I'm going to do with my bike is buy a LTD and switch all the plastic over, (because I spent over a year sanding, and fixing and painting my bike and over $2000 in paint alone).

Don W.
im not switching to injection just useing a injected engine still useing eveything else from 84 aspencade i had spark and now i dont
#7 04-23-2010, 08:18 AM,
Not to rain on your Parade, BUT why would you want to go to a Fuel Injected system thats obsolete and parts are dam near impossible to find.
making a Asp outta a INT, is no big deal. BUT making a SEI out of it now, WELL...?????
#8 04-23-2010, 08:34 AM,
Did you test the primary side of the ignition? If the ignition switch is shot you won't get spark. Try powering the coils directly.

#9 04-23-2010, 09:24 AM,
kenvb Wrote:Not to rain on your Parade, BUT why would you want to go to a Fuel Injected system thats obsolete and parts are dam near impossible to find.
making a Asp outta a INT, is no big deal. BUT making a SEI out of it now, WELL...?????
You're not listening Ken. Confusedhock:
All he used from the LTD was the long block and of course the pulse generators which moved to the front in 85, all else is stock 84 Aspencade.

Scott, if you still have the old block you could, as a test, wire the PGs from it to your CDI then turn the old engine over to see if you get spark.
#10 04-23-2010, 09:39 AM,
admin Wrote:Did you test the primary side of the ignition? If the ignition switch is shot you won't get spark. Try powering the coils directly.
i have checked i power at and thru the kill switch, power at coils and power in and out of the cdi,i checked the ground out of the cdi to the coils and in donst change much maybe 10 ohms and dosnt change consist.i think i narrowed it down to the black box.the ohms difference in the 2 pg's very well could have killed it.(ps. pg's on 85 ltd are on the back of the next to the fuel pump the asp. and inter. are on the front)85 ltd pg ohms 330 and the 84 is 1400
#11 04-23-2010, 01:30 PM,
It's not a big deal to get at the ignition control unit so why not have a friend with a GL1200 stop by and you can try the ignition contol unit from his bike to verify that yours is not working or not. I have used the one from my 84 on an 87 for just such a purpose and it didn't take any more that one half hour to get them swapped in and back again.

#12 04-23-2010, 02:21 PM,
admin Wrote:It's not a big deal to get at the ignition control unit so why not have a friend with a GL1200 stop by and you can try the ignition contol unit from his bike to verify that yours is not working or not. I have used the one from my 84 on an 87 for just such a purpose and it didn't take any more that one half hour to get them swapped in and back again.
i would but dont anyone around so i have to take a chance and go ebaying.we don't have a cycle salvage yard around here. i am going to try to get one from a 85 aspencade or interstate just in case. :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :-SS
#13 04-23-2010, 08:11 PM,
kenvb Wrote:Not to rain on your Parade, BUT why would you want to go to a Fuel Injected system thats obsolete and parts are dam near impossible to find.

Here's one good reason.....

[Image: pic.php?mode=small&pic_id=144]

8) 8)
1985 Limited Edition
#14 04-24-2010, 12:13 AM,
K Bergen Wrote:
You're not listening Ken. Confusedhock:
All he used from the LTD was the long block and of course the pulse generators which moved to the front in 85, all else is stock 84 Aspencade.

Scott, if you still have the old block you could, as a test, wire the PGs from it to your CDI then turn the old engine over to see if you get spark.
i pluged in my 84 pg's and turned over the engine while flipping a metal object pass the pg's i have spark
#15 04-24-2010, 08:22 AM,