Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
When changing your own oil and filter.......................
neoracer Wrote:just checked mine for the first time,when i got it off i thought is emtpy until i turned it upside down and water..water came running out..alot needless to say tks for the post,now maybe that persistent leak i cant find will quit
It's doubtful that will cure your oil leak if the tank wasn't over full.
I did cure my oil leak by cleaning all the munge out of the the hoses and separator tank, the vacuum just couldn't get through all that gunk and to the crankcase.
#16 03-22-2010, 08:59 PM,
Ken,

No dew in the morning EVER but I guess I will take it apart to take a peek to be sure... I just felt that even IF there was moisture in this resevoir in 1999 it would certainly be long gone over the next few day's....
#17 03-22-2010, 09:02 PM,
Tropicalsuns Wrote:Ken,

No dew in the morning EVER but I guess I will take it apart to take a peek to be sure... I just felt that even IF there was moisture in this resevoir in 1999 it would certainly be long gone over the next few day's....
Yep do it just to be sure and even if you find nothing do it religiously at about 26 year intervals. :d
#18 03-22-2010, 09:11 PM,
neoracer Wrote:just checked mine for the first time,when i got it off i thought is emtpy until i turned it upside down and water..water came running out..alot needless to say tks for the post,now maybe that persistent leak i cant find will quit

I just did mine as well like neoracer I found a lot of water in mine as well. I will mark this in my log book and make sure I do this every time I change my oil.
#19 03-22-2010, 09:30 PM,
After reading these posts, I got the heebee jeebees 'cause ever since first getting my 1985 1200 Interstate last April, I cleaned everything and changed ALL the fluids -- then soon changed them again, with NPG+ coolant and synthetic AMSOIL. BUT I never touched the capture tank -- not yet knowing what it is.

So very gingerly, I removed the tank last weekend -- expecting a lot of watery/oily stuff to come out per the above comments. But only 1-2 ounces of relatively clean oil was in there. Lucky me.

'Fact is, I never ride in rain plus the bike had been kept clean and (I think) properly stored for a long time high and dry indoors before I bought it. As I mentioned last year, my main problem was that a colony of mice had been living in the fairing -- shorting out the ignition switch. You can say, they literally pissed it away! :d

So far, I only put a new 1k on the bike -- and maybe the small amount of oil in my capture tank is perfectly normal for my short ride.
[Image: Akriti2450x338.jpg]

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#20 03-23-2010, 12:53 AM,
Quote:So far, I only put a new 1k on the bike

Perhaps a bit less international travel is in order this summer!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
#21 03-23-2010, 04:50 AM,
The maintenance schedule has been posted for those without a manual.

The crankcase breather should be inspected every 4000 miles or 6400 kilometers .... more often if driven at high speeds or in
the rain.

And if you get your bike maintained by a shop always ask if it has been done.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#22 03-23-2010, 06:05 AM,
Tropicalsuns Wrote:
Quote:So far, I only put a new 1k on the bike

Perhaps a bit less international travel is in order this summer!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Good point .... BUT ... 1) I MUST head to Budapest and Sarajevo at the end of April (sounds like James Bond?),
[Image: Budapest.jpg] BUDAPEST

[Image: sm_10bosnia3.jpg] SARAJEVO

and my assignment** lasts until July 4th (still sounds like James Bond?),
and the WORST part is, 2) those heartless airlines will not let me take my bike with me! :cry:

O.K. so THESE DAYS they only allow ONE suitcase free (22 Kg -- 50 lbs), but I'd gladly drain the fuel tank, crankcase, and cooling system, and pay the extra $50 to check my bike in as extra luggage. :YMSIGH:

ALAS, some Wingers have it harder than others. :mrgreen:

APOLOGIES TO EVERYONE FOR MY HIGHJACKING THE TOPIC it simply got out of hand :oops:
[Image: Akriti2450x338.jpg]

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#23 03-23-2010, 08:53 AM,
Thanks for the heads up , Ken . I'm new to gold wings and have been reading as much info as possible and this site is a true blessing for newbies. I will be plugging the hole based on what you stated -makes sense to me - I wouldn't have known to check for this had it not been for reading it in this topic. :YMPEACE:

Bob
#24 03-28-2010, 12:27 PM,
I checked mine last night. It was full, and the hose had some water/oil/coolant mix in it, too. It probably got really bad when the head gasket let go.
1986 Honda GL1200 Interstate
#25 04-21-2010, 09:03 AM,
Why not just remove the thing and run the hose from the motor to the air breather?
For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Matthew 16:26
For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. 1 Timothy 6:10
#26 04-22-2010, 05:44 PM,
Hmm, I found this when bleeding clutch (was full of water?) and didn't realize it was anything more than a catch for the tray around fuel fill neck, guess I really need to check some more. (and look around garage for it)
#27 04-29-2010, 11:14 AM,
Mine does not seem to have this device installed at all. I have a similar thing up by the air filter, hose runs from the air filter to the bottle and then from the bottle to the engine. Is it just a different setup on the '86?
Turtle
86 Interstate, ex  police bike
85 LTD, parting out

[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#28 05-10-2010, 06:58 AM,
Here's the parts diagram for the 86 Interstate.

So if your's doesn't have the tank #18 someone has removed it.

Attached Files
.jpeg   2200.Gif.jpeg (Size: 36.08 KB / Downloads: 141)
#29 05-10-2010, 07:38 AM,
I'll take a look this evening, but I don't believe I have that.
Turtle
86 Interstate, ex  police bike
85 LTD, parting out

[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#30 05-10-2010, 08:09 AM,