Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Starter installation
This is my first post as every question I've had has been answered. However, I rebuilt my starter on my GL1200 LTD, and followed instructioins from another site. I left the bike on the center stand and when I removed the starter the sprocket remained in place. SO MUCH EASIER THEN REMOVING THE WHOLE ENGINE. When I replaced the starter it went in really easy and I guess my question is, how do I know whether the splines on the shaft inserted into the sprocket properly or could it have pushed it away. Any help or answers

Thanks
Ron from Houston.
#1 05-26-2007, 12:04 PM,
You can take my word that the sprocket cannot move out of the way by Honda design. Inside the rear engine cover there are two small machined bosses that capture the sprocket when the starter is removed. You can try all you want to move the sprocket when the starter is out and it stays in place and the rear cover stops it from going anyplace when the starter goes back into place. Click on the following link if you want to see some pics and read more detail;
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopic.php?t=36">http://gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopic.php?t=36</a><!-- m -->
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#2 05-26-2007, 04:14 PM,
Thanks, I reviewed your pictures prior to removal of my starter, which gave me the confidence to do it. I wasn't sure if the sprocket had the room to move any. I can now procede with replacing the rest and riding again. Once again, Thanks for your replay.
#3 05-26-2007, 04:23 PM,
You're welcome. I'm glad the site could could help you.

#4 05-26-2007, 04:57 PM,
Smile Vic,

My 84 starter is at the repair shop now and I was wondering if I could do something "dumb" re-installing it.

Your posts are wonderful. Thanks, MANY thanks.

I did realize one can remove the starter without dropping the engine or even the left frame member when mine decided to stop tuning the engine. VERY close, but it does come out.

Thanks again >!< for sharing how the gear stays in place with the crank'ie thang removed.

I had a "bud" tell me to be sure and use the "side" stand and NOT the center stand and all would be fine. And, me "bud" has a $50 an hour rate.

dp 8)
ps: Probably shouldn't share, but I'm 66 and ride "naked" ...
#5 07-11-2007, 05:28 AM,
Thanks for the kind words.

There are a couple of dumb things that you could do upon reinstallation.

One is forgetting to lubricate the starter o-ring, if you don't lubricate it you stand a chance of cutting it and causing a leak meaning that you will have to take it all apart again to replace the leaking o-ring.

Two is not using a thin wrench below the starter cable on the electrical lug on the starter. Some guys crank the upper nut on with a socket and spin the entire lug and cable causing the internal soldered connection to break off inside the starter and then the starter does not work or works sluggishly because of the resistance at the broken connection. By holding the lower nut you protect the connection and things work as they should.

Three dab of grease on the splines is a good idea before installation.

Four one last thing, if you're riding "naked" through my area you might want to consider a thong, cops around here are quite reserved .

#6 07-11-2007, 08:39 AM,