Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
SOLAR TRICKLE CHARGER (free electricity)
It works!

During cold weather (averaging 5-10 degrees above freezing), even while continuously plugged into a trickle charger in my cold garage, my cold GL1200 battery was operating at low efficiency. Starting up my bike on these cold days really sucked the charge out of the battery.

Earlier this year, it dawned on me that when I begin riding around on still cold days, just above freezing but SUNNY, maybe while I'm out shopping I could harness the sun to "goose" up the charge on my battery. This was inspired by one fine day riding around and making 2-3 stops, and getting nervous as each time I started the bike, the starter turned over somewhat slower than the time before. So I bought a 1.8 watt solar charger from The Sportsman's Guide

Today, it was a sunny, cold (37-degrees F) day, and I hooked up a solar charger from The Sportsman's Guide ($25 including shipping). Conveniently, I was able to plug the solar charger into the very SAME receptacle that I use for the battery trickle charger in my garage.
[attachment=0]
I was shopping and lunching for two hours while outside the sun was boosting the batteries charge. NOW, the start up was noticeably stronger than before I had used the solar trickle charger for a couple of hours.

The 12 v/1.8 watt solar charger is VERY easy to carry around in the trunk, and plug it in while the bike is parked for a couple of hours. So far as I am concerned, it was worth the $25 for a charger that I can carry with me and which has no parts to wear out. Also, after the initial investment in buying the charger, the sun's power is (so far :lol: ) FREE.

Attached Files
.jpg   Battery Connetion.jpg (Size: 54.24 KB / Downloads: 309)
[Image: Akriti2450x338.jpg]

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#1 02-28-2010, 06:13 PM,
I guess I should just buy 6 of these in case my stator goes out while I'm in the middle of the desert?
#2 02-28-2010, 06:35 PM,
Tropicalsuns Wrote:I guess I should just buy 6 of these in case my stator goes out while I'm in the middle of the desert?
If your stator puts out 350 watts and your only using half that you would still need an array of about 100 of those. Confusedhock: Could you post a picture once you get them installed?
#3 02-28-2010, 09:01 PM,
Tropicalsuns Wrote:I guess I should just buy 6 of these in case my stator goes out while I'm in the middle of the desert?

Nah Tropicalsuns, there's a much better way.

Just keep riding around where the wind turbnes are set up, and then plug into the AC current with an AC-DC converter -- same as a household charger.
[Image: energy_windmills_1.jpg]

[Image: img_0097.jpg]

Here's how it's done!!!
[Image: turbine_wiring_6hh6.jpg]

:mrgreen:

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#4 03-01-2010, 01:58 AM,
OOooooooooR !

Just bring along enough people to halp you push! :mrgreen:
[Image: Family-on-motorcycle-Herat.jpg]

#5 03-01-2010, 02:31 AM,
bob NE In. Wrote:It worked for my tractor...

[Image: newfan.jpg]

Bob - does it have enought watts for the trio?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1ThSi1wbqU">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1ThSi1wbqU</a><!-- m -->

#6 03-01-2010, 07:06 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CAN TRICKLE CHARGING DAMAGE AN Odyssey Battery? Granpah 33 10,994 09-07-2012, 03:48 AM
Last Post: admin