Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
CO2 OR NITROGEN BETTER THAN COMPRESSED AIR FOR TIRES?
I agree that maybe the UV from the sun does as much or more damage than oxygen.

So then why do tire companies these days go to the extra trouble of filling tires with nitrogen (for free)?
One possibility is that they've discovered that a commercial 5-1/2 foot, 1500 psi cylinder of nitrogen is a lot cheaper to have on hand than maintaining an expensive air compressor.

Hey can you hear me in your little corner? :-\
#16 02-19-2010, 11:08 PM,
Yessir I hear ya!! :lol:

Quote:So then why do tire companies these days go to the extra trouble of filling tires with nitrogen (for free)?
One possibility is that they've discovered that a commercial 5-1/2 foot, 1500 psi cylinder of nitrogen is a lot cheaper to have on hand than maintaining an expensive air compressor.

That would be one reason, but I think the main reason for tire retailers to put nitrogen in tires is the same reason vehicle manufacturer's put chrome on their vehicles. To sell more of them!!!

Think about it.. You're selling 2 bikes of the same model, one plain, and the other tricked out with chrome. At least 8 times out of 10 the bike with the chrome will sell before the plain Jane model.

Same thing with the nitrogen in the tires. While their tire price might be the same or even a touch less than other dealers, chances are they are gonna sell more tires than their competitor's and make more money because they have the equivilant of "chrome" in their tires!! Nitrogen!! :mrgreen:

The Defense Rests..... 8)
1985 Limited Edition
#17 02-19-2010, 11:30 PM,
OK Mr. Dunlop, here's the official propaganda by a company called Nitrofil pushing nitrogen for everybody's tires:

"High purity nitrogen has been used for decades in Nascar, Formula One, the Tour de France, the US Military and many other applications where safety and economy are paramount concerns." :mrgreen:

More NASCAR propaganda on how they prefer N2.

Almost finally, a supposedly impartial mechanic-critic type named Bob Hazard writing in a blog with the ironic name (inspired by Vic? :lol: ), HELIUM
writes:
"How hard can it be to sell [nitrogen to the public] when the FAA requires all commercial aircraft tires to be inflated with nitrogen; Section 25.733?
NASCAR teams use nitrogen because it allows them to more accurately predict tire pressure changes."

What about bikers? Proudly proclaims Smokey Mountain H-D :lol: dealer; "Smoky Mountain Harley-Davidson & Buell is the only Motorcycle dealer in East Tennessee currently offering Nitrogen filled tires exclusively for motorcycles."

[Image: NTFMoto.jpg.w300h400.jpg]
[Credits: This is NOT Smokey Mtn H-D's set up. I stole the photo from nitrogentirefill.com. :mrgreen:

BUT in the interest of being fair and balanced (where have I heard THAT one before ? :twisted: ), a biker named Bigger Al( 1976 BMW R90/6; 1995 KLR650) comments in the blog Adventure Rider:
"Putting nitrogen in tires is great if you're flying your plane to very high altitudes, but pretty much useless in motorcycles. It's a sales gimmick used by Costco to extract more money from uninformed customers. I laugh every time I see the distinctive green valve caps that they install when they provide the "service." Spend the money on a good air guage or towards the necessary components of a nicely-stocked repair kit. You'll be happier and wealthier in the end."

And REALLY finally, someone with an inquisitive mind became hostile to the whole nitrogen thing by titling his well researched blog in DSS Tester: "Nitrogen Filled Tires a Scam?" This guy REALLY went all out calliing on the Michelen tire company and the automotive laboratory at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He concludes with resignaton:
"My dad was unfazed by my research. He said his Chevy Tahoe has better braking ability, turns better on corners, and rides more smoothly since he pumped up with nitrogen. 'Whatever they want to say, I found a difference,' he said."

Hey, don't blame me! I just work here. :roll:

[To admin: Thanks for straightening out my Dadsweet/Granpah identity crisis ^Smile^ ]
[Image: Akriti2450x338.jpg]

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#18 02-20-2010, 07:35 AM,
There's one interesting point in Granpah's post; people will obsess about things like nitrogen but otherwise will rarely check their tire pressure. Will the rubber degrade at a noticeable amount with O2 over nitrogen? Who knows. Will they wear out quicker with improper inflation?
In the end I'd rather wear out the tire from putting lot's of miles on rather than have them go bad! :d
#19 02-20-2010, 09:28 AM,
glhonda Wrote:A lot of the newer air compressors are designed to remove the oxygen. When the shop fills your tires, you're getting nitrogen whether you like it or not. I don't see a downside if it's free, but I wonder what it's doing to my impact wrench. Confusedhock:
When I used to race I not only used nitrogen in my tires but I ran the impacts off the bottle as well. Those I.R. impacts really screamed at 300psi ! :d
“A good traveler has no fixed plans,and is not intent on arriving”~ Lao Tzu ~
[Image: 16hvxut.jpg]
[Image: 15r1pnl.jpg]
In Stable
1985 GL1200 Interstate(RIP)
2003 Yamaha Midnight Venture
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650(Wife's Bike)
#20 02-22-2010, 07:34 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What about Filling the tires with Nitrogen??... William_86 26 10,623 01-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Last Post: detdrbuzzard