Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
84 Interstate-temp gauage pegged on cold-no movement.
I have read the outstanding forums and I am still unable to figure out temp gauge system.
I have the old analog gauge-which doesn't move.
No cooling problems-fan comes on ok.
What is the easiest way to drill down test problem.
PS Is the new autmotive 150k mile anti freeze acceptable.
Thanks for your responses.
#1 02-13-2010, 05:48 PM,
The best way to check the system is to ground the wire at the temperature sending unit. With the key on, the temp gauge should sweep to full. If it does, the gauge, wiring, etc is working correctly and the sender needs to be replaced.
The sending unit is on the coolant transfer tube directly behind the thermostatic switch that controls the cooling fan. It can be a real PITA to get to.
#2 02-13-2010, 08:56 PM,
Thank you very much.
I will make check in AM.
Hope the the gauge sweeps to full.
Auto Zone has Temp switch for 12.99.
The previous owner installed new threaded rod to hold radiator cover under castle nuts and rubbed holes in radiator.
The radiator will go to shop but looks perfectly clean!
Any suggestions on easy fix for radiatior chrome guard attachment. Posibilly using stainless bolts of correct length-this could be an alignment nitemare.??
Is new automotive anti freeze ok?
Thank you!!
#3 02-13-2010, 10:45 PM,
On the anti-freeze, make sure that it does not contain silicates as they will totaly ruin your water pump...
1985 Limited Edition
#4 02-13-2010, 11:26 PM,
The temperature gauge would not work on my bike until we installed a thermostat, it was cool weather.
joe
#5 02-14-2010, 11:38 AM,
neversweat Wrote:Thank you very much.
I will make check in AM.
Hope the the gauge sweeps to full.
Auto Zone has Temp switch for 12.99.
The previous owner installed new threaded rod to hold radiator cover under castle nuts and rubbed holes in radiator.
The radiator will go to shop but looks perfectly clean!
Any suggestions on easy fix for radiatior chrome guard attachment. Posibilly using stainless bolts of correct length-this could be an alignment nitemare.??
Is new automotive anti freeze ok?
Thank you!!

I realize this was over a year ago, but what was the part number for the Auto Zone Temp switch? Is there another source for this temp. switch other than Mom Honda?

Thanks folks.

-Ride On ~O)
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#6 08-08-2011, 03:32 PM,
When you say temperature switch, are you talking about fan switch?

or temperature sender. both different birds.

Use Honda for the sender

Any switch you use make sure it turns on and off at the correct temperature.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#7 08-08-2011, 04:14 PM,
I was referring to the temp. gauge sending unit. It is recommended to use Mother Honda version? I was thinking the same unless there was a reliable automobile equivalent out there. Oddly enough, the used versions out there on E-bay are about $10 less than an original, NEW part. Factor in the difference in getting it (Honda; 1-2 days, unless it is in stock, vs 3-7 days through E-bay) AND the fact from Honda it is NEW as opposed to used, the New part is the way to go. Add in the level of difficulty to get to it. Going in once with a new unit is better than thrice with used units.

As always, Thanks Tricky.
^Smile^
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#8 08-09-2011, 09:36 AM,
A little background; last week I completed changing the head gaskets. Prior to replacing head gaskets, the temp gauge registered about 200 degrees (normal operating temp) one day, the next day it registered about 160 degrees. The following morning it registered less than 104 and that afternoon, it did register at all.
I was hoping the new head gaskets would allow the temp gauge to work again, but that is not the case.
Last night I unbolted the carbs and pulled them out the left side far enough to allow disconnecting the wire leading to the temperature sending unit. I connected a alligator clip to the female plug and turned the key to the ‘ON’ position. I then touched the wire attached to the alligator clip to ground momentarily and the temperature needle didn’t budge. Because I was doing this by artificial lighting I decided to route the temperature sending unit wire out to a more convenient location and reattached the carbs. A quick start of the engine confirmed the bike had no leaks and was running again. I plan on repeating this test in the daylight as I am hoping to get needle deflection. If no deflection, I will test the wiring between the gauges and the sender and if need be, the gauge, before I replace the sender.
I have read where a temp gauge returned to use after replacing the t-stat. Could that be because the t-stat was stuck in the closed position and the coolant on the engine side of the t-stat was not getting hot enough to register?
Do you folks have any other thoughts or avenues I can explore?
To take a quote from Bartels and James, “Thank-you for your support.”
#9 08-10-2011, 07:37 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  86 Interstate Temp Gauge 2 1,833 06-03-2007, 01:52 PM
Last Post: SIR tricky