Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
NORMAL OPERATION OF CHOKE
Re: 1985 GL1200 I

Especially in cold weather, I'd like the choke lever to stay where I put it -- or move it closer to the off position as the engine warms up. BUT right after the engine first starts, the choke in my bike shuts itself off. When I put it back to the let's say 1/2 open position it still shuts itself off.

Question: Is this the way the choke was designed to opeate for avoiding driving around with the choke on? Or is there some adjustment I can make for allowing me to position the choke lever where I want it. I looked up all the shop manuals which only instruct how to replace a choke cable -- nothing about adjusting how it behaves. :-\ .
[Image: Akriti2450x338.jpg]

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#1 01-25-2010, 01:31 PM,
Mine does that also.... seems to me 5 years ago when I got the bike that it didn't. Either something happened along the way or???
Scott, 1986 aspencade 2 BLUE
#2 01-25-2010, 03:02 PM,
No, it's not an automatic choke. Check the choke cable, it's probably adjusted to tight and the bike's vibration is causing it to move.
#3 01-25-2010, 03:05 PM,
Generally, my cables tend to stretch, making them looser. The choke lever operates on a ramp. Over a period of time, the surfaces become worn and don't hold like they were intended to. OMG!!! Did I just end a sentence with a preposition? :oops:
#4 01-25-2010, 03:10 PM,
On my 84 Interstate the choke lever stays where I set it but the lever assembly was changed for 85 so that may be the intended behaviour of the newer assembly.

Unfortunately nether the 84 or 85 levers seem to be available new.
If the bike is parked for the winter you could take the lever off and see if it's worn.
You might even be able to modify it to add some friction.
#5 01-25-2010, 03:28 PM,
K Bergen Wrote:If the bike is parked for the winter you could take the lever off and see if it's worn. You might even be able to modify it to add some friction.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Actually, soon as the temp is over 49-degrees F (it's been 25-30 with icy patches) around here I'm going out riding again! But I did notice the rotating choke lever makes close contact with another surface as it pivots. So I can put some goo in there to gum it up a bit for causing some friction. I just wasn't sure if the choke was spring loaded, originally intending to shut itself off. In the summer, half the time it tends to stay put -- when I don't need it to stay open.

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#6 01-25-2010, 03:42 PM,
What's a choke?? :-
1985 Limited Edition
#7 01-25-2010, 10:02 PM,
roscoepc Wrote:What's a choke?? :-
Twill be my handshake when next we meet. :evil:
#8 01-25-2010, 10:43 PM,
glhonda Wrote:
Twill be my handshake when next we meet. :evil:

:mrgreen: :lol: :YMHUG: B-(
1985 Limited Edition
#9 01-25-2010, 10:52 PM,

Well, there are two types of chokes. Some tell clean chokes :lol: and others tell dirty chokes :evil:

Right now, mine seems too clean -- but I can change. :twisted:
#10 01-26-2010, 04:38 AM,
Dadsweet Wrote:

Well, there are two types of chokes. Some are clean chokes :lol: and others are dirty chokes :evil:

Right now, mine seems too clean -- but I can change. :twisted:

#11 01-26-2010, 03:22 PM,
Granpah Wrote:Re: 1985 GL1200 I

Especially in cold weather, I'd like the choke lever to stay where I put it -- or move it closer to the off position as the engine warms up. BUT right after the engine first starts, the choke in my bike shuts itself off. When I put it back to the let's say 1/2 open position it still shuts itself off.

Question: Is this the way the choke was designed to opeate for avoiding driving around with the choke on? Or is there some adjustment I can make for allowing me to position the choke lever where I want it. I looked up all the shop manuals which only instruct how to replace a choke cable -- nothing about adjusting how it behaves. :-\ .

I have found that if the choke cable is not routed correctly it will act like a spring due to the tension on the cable. Check the cable routing, you may have to remove the upper end of the cable to relocate it, clean and lube the cable and make sure that it is not binding anywhere and you should have no problems with the choke.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#12 01-29-2010, 06:04 AM,
Thanks for the suggestion about cable routing. I'll check it for tension.

#13 01-29-2010, 06:17 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Float valve removal and operation Discus 9 2,606 04-18-2012, 04:55 AM
Last Post: Discus