Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Replacement Camshafts
LH head developed tiny coolant leak, so I pulled the head to replace head gasket.
Found both exhaust lobes on the cam are both in rough shape... scored and rough. Needs replacement.
Will pull other head to examine its cam too.
OEM has discontinued the part. Any idea where I can get some aftermarket cams? Anyone?
Thanks...
#1 01-16-2010, 10:01 AM,
I would look for a used cam. If the cam lobe is rough the rocker will be also & need replaceing. I have a 84 parts engine that should have the parts you need.

Ride Safe, Don
#2 01-16-2010, 12:42 PM,
Thanks very much Poorboy.
Both exhaust rockers are badly worn as predicted, and tomorrow I'll pull the RH cam out for inspection. - probably the same.
Why only exhaust lobes??
#3 01-17-2010, 06:47 PM,
Well, pulled RH cam this morning. It has 3 lobes with a problem.
Near as I can figure, a cam lobe will develop a problem like this for only two reasons... 1. Not hardenned properly 2. Poor lubrication. If #2 is true, I am in fear for the rest of the engine.
Am I missing something or is my fear misplaced?
#4 01-19-2010, 06:39 AM,
You forgot poor maintenance as in the oil filter never being changed and allowing dirt to recirculate through the bypass. It does make a guy wonder about the rest of the engine but maybe it was just a plugged oil restrictor on that particular head.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#5 01-20-2010, 01:11 PM,
Ya, now I'm scared.
Oil restrictors are clear
No idea of how often PO changed oil/filter.
#6 01-21-2010, 10:05 AM,
How does the opposite head look?

#7 01-21-2010, 05:31 PM,
Other cam had 3 bad lobes and corresponding rocker arms.
Poorboy has a good used set I'm probably going to buy.
Doing some reading about it... most probable cause is this (and especially with bikes/airplanes/other low use toys): For engines that see a lot of time between periods of use, the oil system has time to drain down. Oil drips off cams and every other surface in the engine. Upon start, there are a few seconds (very damaging seconds) that the engine spins with very low or no oil pressure... until the oil pump fills and pressurizes the whole system. This is a big cause of cam wear.
To prevent, simply flip the kill switch to off, crank until your oil light goes off. Now you know your moving parts are all well lubricated. Now flip kill sw. to on, start and the engine is running already primed up.
The guys who fly all know about this, as cam spalling in aero engines is a real concern... and it is due to the above cause.
Bikes that are driven a few times a week are not an issue, but if you let the machine sit for a week or more at a time, once it gets old you may have an old engine with low hours, but the cams are probably scewed up.
#8 01-28-2010, 09:32 AM,
Another thing you can do to prevent this from happening is to use a high quality oil like Amsoil that stays on the metal surfaces and also protects from the effects of condensation.

#9 01-28-2010, 11:36 AM,