Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Performance Problems continue, new parts didn't fix anything
He must have got it fixed seeing as how he has not posted in a long time or he parked it for the winter.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#31 12-10-2009, 12:32 PM,
Nope, not fixed yet.
Believe me, I feed my GL1200 addiction every day by visiting this site
and staring at pics of our bikes. Ihave been working many late nights, (rental property maintenance) ,so my '86 GL is still waiting on a compression check. We've had a lot of rain and crummy weather so I haven't gotten to ride to work in a few weeks.
#32 12-10-2009, 01:20 PM,
Looking forward to your next report. Tongue

#33 12-10-2009, 01:40 PM,
--------------------
#34 12-10-2009, 02:25 PM,
Congrats on the engagement. Now you've got to get that bike working properly so that it's a reliable machine to carry you guys.

#35 12-10-2009, 06:27 PM,
I see the problem.... it's yeller. :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :- :- :-
#36 12-11-2009, 12:07 PM,
I know it's off topic but I feel I must comment on the yellow paint.
I painted my Pearl Hotrod Yellow GL1200 that color because I love the color on the GL1800 wings. Before the Pearl yellow, my bike was 4 colors for about 6 months, (dark blue, maroon, beige, silver), from all the mismatched ebay pieces I had on the bike. When my bike was the darker colors, people pulled out in front of me all the time; they just didn't respect or see the bike. Now, in gleaming bright Pearl Hotrod Yellow, that can't help BUT see the bike.
When I ride with our Goldwing group, my bike is the first one you see from miles away, (even if I'm in the back of the group). To me, it's all about visibility, (plus I really like the color).
#37 12-11-2009, 12:55 PM,
Any guy with half a brain can easily see how superior a yellow Gold Wing truly is. Other colors have dings and dents and scratches from other people running into them whereas the yellow does away with that crap by glowingly standing out in a crowd.

I painted mine school bus yellow for safety reasons and because my wife said that it had to be that color if I wanted her to ride with me but over the years the color has really grown on me and if there ever was another Gold Wing it would be in this yellow color again because I have grown to like it for the safety reasons and for taste. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :lol:

#38 12-11-2009, 02:29 PM,
School bus yeller? is that cause yer into yer second childhood? :d :d :d :d :d :d :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
#39 12-11-2009, 04:02 PM,
Yes, the first one wasn't that much fun but the second one is a blast. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#40 12-11-2009, 06:59 PM,
I may be misinformed, but I remember back from auto class a quick way we'd check the internals of an engine was to hook up a vacuum gauge and make sure it was acting properly. If it bounced around (a significant amount 3 or 5 psi) rater than going up and down smoothly than something mechanical is wrong and that would have to be fixed before trying to diagnose any other problems.
If that's true, than something may be amiss in your bike. On the other hand, if the compression is good than it baffles me why your vacuum gauges are jumping so much.

On a separate note, I'm watching this forum because my bike cuts out above 2500 rpm's (misses, pops, and chugs) right now and it's pissing me off. It didn't use to and it only had 89 psi of compression in each cylinder (unless it's running than the compression is much higher). I'm thinking the problem is in the carburetors (leaning toward faulty air cut off valve). I also desire to clean out all the fuel lines and carbs when I get time.
#41 01-05-2011, 10:18 AM,
Is there a happy ending to these stories ?

#42 01-06-2011, 05:25 AM,
One thing that you should do is find a steep hill and climb the hill in a lower gear. What you want to do is have the engine under heavy load above 4000 rpm in first, second or third. The reason is that the ignition timing is done differently in fourth and fifth. In the first three gears the timing is done by engine speed and in the top two gears it is done by engine vacuum. If there is a difference in performance in the lower gears then I would check the timing advance.

You can test the vacuum advance by disconnecting the vacuum line that goes to the ignition box and use a hand vacuum pump. Next, ground the red/white or green/orange terminal of the shift sensor coupler. Now, with the engine at idle, apply vacuum with the pump. The advance should start at 30-50 mm (1.2-2.0 in) Hg and should max out at 50-70 mm (2.0-2.8 in). If the advance does not work then the ignition box should be changed.

With the carburetors, the most important thing is the main jet and needle. The critical thing is that the position of the main jet in the carburetor housing must be identical for all carburetors. And the needles must all be the same size and they all must extend from their piston the exact same amount. Another important thing is that all of the springs for the diaphragms have the same length and tension. If these things are not set equally then you have no hope of getting balanced performance from each cylinder.
#43 01-08-2011, 02:57 PM,
admin Wrote:I painted mine school bus yellow for safety reasons ...... I have grown to like it for the safety reasons and for taste. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :lol:

What does it taste like? Lemon drops? Peeps? banana taffy?
What does a blue bike taste like?
I hope brown is chocolate. :-SS

Hope your feeling better Vic. :d
#44 01-08-2011, 05:11 PM,
Taste more like a banana split, delicious and disappears real fast.

#45 01-09-2011, 06:48 AM,