Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Carb Slide Diaphragms from SaberCycle - I got mine
Hey wonderful GL1200 people:
I'm getting ready to swap out my
Carb Slide diaphragms in my '86 GL1200 tonight.
I'm also switching my carb tops from aftermarket chrome back to OEM. I just polished the originals with Bom's Away metal polish - (after a bunch of careful sanding) and they look great, (I'm only going to polish the back two tops since they're the only ones that show). I've read that the aftermarket tops don't seal as well as OEM and I'm inclined to agree. I've not had good performance at top speeds since
I switched the tops. I used to be able to get 127 mph but can't hit that anymore, (118 tops). The cylinders always seem to be fighting each other no matter how good my sync is, and compression is very good, I'm pretty sure it's the carbs... The original slides are worn on the sides, (the black coating is worn away quite a bit).

Anyway, I was advised by a fellow 1200 rider to put a single drop of CA glue
on the diaphragm at 4 spots to help keep it centered and located properly. Having
been in my carbs several times over the last 5 years, the glue thing sounds like
it may be a good idea. I just don't want to mess up my $167 dollar investment.
I am going to put new "O" rings in the elbows tonight when I change out the slides.
I also was told by a local mechanic, (long-time 1200 expert), to hold the slides up while putting the caps on. I use a piece of rubber tubing slid in above the butterfly plates.

Should I do anything else while I'm changing the slides? I already rebuilt the carbs last year completely, (except for the diaphrams). I like the ones from SaberCycle because they are complete, (don't have to reuse the old slides).

Comments would be welcome.
Thanks,
Don W. , Winchester, KY
#1 10-30-2009, 12:51 PM,
Quote:I used to be able to get 127 mph but can't hit that anymore, (118 tops).
Wow, Confusedhock: where is it your going that your in that much of a hurry?

Ken
#2 10-30-2009, 01:13 PM,
Forget about the speed, I just use that as a benchmark of how my bike is performing.

Can anyone address my original questions?
#3 10-30-2009, 03:00 PM,
dwitgoldwing Wrote:Forget about the speed, I just use that as a benchmark of how my bike is performing.

Can anyone address my original questions?
Holding the slides up while putting the caps on sounds like a good idea but I would be leery of using glue on them.

Top end speed is not a good way to test performance as there are to many variables, tire pressure, atmospheric pressure, temperature and humidity just to name a few.

Ken
#4 10-30-2009, 03:37 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slide valve diaphragms pstelter 2 2,159 06-24-2014, 02:54 PM
Last Post: bs175dths
  Slide Diaphragms wildhorse 1 1,419 06-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Last Post: SIR tricky
  Replacement Honda GL1200 CV Slide Diaphragms randakk 3 1,910 05-12-2009, 06:48 AM
Last Post: Guest
  What does a carb do and how can I make mine work right. admin 4 2,939 01-15-2007, 08:40 PM
Last Post: exavid