Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
I'm confoozed. Need help with Radio, CB, Intercom, Cell....
Jeeez...I don't know where to start... I guess I want too much. I've searched and I guess I just not good enough to put it all together... So...I've turned to the brain trust of this board for a little help and Devine guidance.

So...I guess the best place to start is "just what do I want".

In order...I think... (I told you I was confused)

-Intercom (currently works)

-CB -communicate with other bikers that I ride with. (no CB)

-Cell phone access -sometimes I'm the only biker and would like to communicate with the cagers that I am traveling with or going to meet...or the wife when she isn't with me.

-Radio / mp3 music (radio doesn't work)

-Maybe access to GPS unit (do not have one of these...yet)

What I currently have...
-'86 Aspy w/ AM/FM/Cassett that only pops, scratches, hums...I tried this radio in another '86 Aspy and it did the same no song and no dance thing, but the pops, scratches, & hums sounded the same. Yes, his worked in his bike but I did not try his radio in my bike.

- Intercom works fine..a little static, but not bad. Static mostly heard at idle.

- 2 - J&M HS 8154 Headsets w/5 pin connector (works with the GL1200's intercom)

- no CB on this bike. I don't think the '86 Aspys came with a CB...no evidence.

- I have a Blackberry phone. (has Bluetooth capibility)

Of course a tight budget so things may need to be added as $ comes available. (wasn't born rich, didn't marry rich, no tickets in the lottery)

I guess I could send off the radio for repair and add an in-line modulator for mp3 music...but how would I incorporate the cell phone and CB??

Any and all options and opinions would be greatly appreciated. I guess I just want too much. But then again, I hope someone has been “there, done that” and can help me with what “to do” or “not to do”.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions...and also for this message board, just to be able to have a place to post a problem....whether it gets resolved or not!

Later,
GaryB
#1 10-28-2009, 10:04 AM,
first thing i'd recc is to send the radio off to sierra to have radio and cassette fixed........cost me $185 to fix both

then when get that fixed you can buy the cassete adapter so you can play mp3's thru the radio

then i'd suggest to find a new or used gps (ebay has some used good ones occasioinaly for about $100

last thing i'd sweat is having cellphone capability ......ya have enough things to worry about when riding then cell phone calls,if you get a good gps you can at least know when you got a call.....then you can stop if ya have to

tunes first the other things are livable

your bike could have had a cb but just wasn't instaled when PO's bought the bike years ago, alot of people just add a cheapee cb unit into the area where it would have gone,not the prettiest add on but can get the job done if ya need it

just get the bike running good,the rest will come along later
\

just my 2 cents
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#2 10-28-2009, 01:19 PM,
Gary,

I too would like to have a cell phone connection added to the sound system. I thought I saw a web site that provided a connection to the system via the intercom connector. I do remember this being well over $100, so it was out of my budget.

I am seriously looking at the TomTom 720 GPS system because it handles cell phones via Bluetooth communication, provides MP3 music via FM modulation (lower power broadcasting) and even GPS guidance. At good site for more information is: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gpsreview.com">http://www.gpsreview.com</a><!-- m -->

As to the radio pop and clicks; The first thing I would check is the antenna connection and the cable going to the radio. Take a multimeter, set it Ohms (resistance) measurement on the lower scale. Touch the leads together without touching any other object, your meter should read 0 (zero). Touch one meter lead to the antenna wip-wire the other to the base mount of the antenna. You should not see any value other than the same one as when the two lead are not touching each other (infinite resistance). Now take the lead not touching the antenna wire and connect it to the center of the antenna cable coming from the antenna. You should have a very low resistance or even 0. Now touch the outer shielding part of the connector, it should have infinite resistance. If this is the case, that antenna and its cabling are good.

Because you have a CB, you should have a CB/FM signal mixer box in between the antenna and the radio and CB. It is located in the left fairing side. (Things are a bit tight in this side of the fairing due to all of the audio components and connections.) There will be three antenna connectors. One input for the CB, one input for the radio, and the last for the antenna lead. By-pass this box by connecting the radio directly to the antenna leads. If you pops and clicks go away, your mixer box is bad. You can try and see if the CB receives a signal from another broadcast source, but don’t try to transmit at this time because you may damage the CB. If the CB receives and the radio does too, I would bet money the box is bad.

If this does not solve the problem check the condition of all electrical contacts within the audio system. There are quite a few. I found simple corrosion on one contact of the main connector where the radio slides into it’s mounting tray. This was causing me intermittent problems. I clean all contacts with good quality contact cleaner and I have not had any problems since other than the CB not working.

If you find that your radio does not receive contact Sierra electronics for a quote on repair. They are at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sierra-mc.com">http://www.sierra-mc.com</a><!-- m --> I got a quote of $100 for a basic repair on my CB, with an estimate of cost if there it required more substantial repairs. This seamed fair. My CB will be going in this fall.

Check out <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.goldwingdocs.com">http://www.goldwingdocs.com</a><!-- m --> and download the Honda Goldwing 1200 Audio Component Interface Diagram, and the Hondaline CD System Installation Manual for more information on how this system is put together.

Good luck.
#3 10-28-2009, 01:22 PM,
i have a TomTom 720 too and bought it because i thought the FM modution would be good for MP3's but found that basically cuts out the radio fulltime even when it wasn't giving directions plus half the time there were strong radio stations which provided interference either in gps or mp3 mode.....which is why i use the cassette adapter and just let the gps give me speaker directions and visual
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#4 10-28-2009, 01:58 PM,
Thanks for that information. I don't have a problem using the casset for other audio imput.
I was just looking for a "cleaner" solution. But if it doesn't work, why bother. :d
#5 10-28-2009, 02:03 PM,
Here's a couple of pic's of what I did for a cb on my bike. I allready had an antenae so this setup only cost me about $50.00!

The radio:

[attachment=1]

The mount:

[attachment=0]

Attached Files
.jpg   001_800x600.jpg (Size: 141.15 KB / Downloads: 518)
.jpg   002_800x600.jpg (Size: 116.83 KB / Downloads: 515)
1985 Limited Edition
#6 10-28-2009, 09:46 PM,
Get the oem Panasonic stereo overhauled by Sierra, and try to find all the necessary components to add the oem CB radio. Then you would have an integrated system where the CB interrupts the stereo when it broadcasts and works well with your intercom. All the necessary components are available on eBay, you can find an itemization of the components you need on this website.

Get an FM modulator like the "Scosche FM-MOD02 FM Modulator for iPod, Satellite Radio or Portable Music Player"

http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-FM-MOD02-M...326&sr=1-2

to connect an Iphone to your oem stereo. The FM modulator plugs into the stereo antenna and will direct the iPod sound to your oem speakers or intercom. The iPhone has music and GPS capability - you could listen to mp3s and they will be interrupted by incoming calls or GPS directions if I am not mistaken. The Iphone is a bit pricey but you could probably find a deal on a used or smaller model if you look on eBay. Of course you need AT & T cellular service for it to work. But it is an amazing device - there are thousands of interesting apps that can be downloaded for free or cheap which do some pretty remarkable things.

The key device is the FM modulator, which provides a "bridge" between the Honda Panasonic system and the modern add-ons. This allows for a "two-sided" stereo system - one classic side with AM/FM/cassette, and CB, and the other side will be mp3s, GPS, and cellphone. Not exactly a fully-integrated system, but semi-integrated, not bad for a classic Honda motorcycle.

If you aren't ready to commit to an iPhone, the FM modulator can be used to input an Ipod to your oem stereo, or if you don't want the hassle of the oem Honda CB radio acquisition and installation, you could purchase a Cobra 75WXST CB radio, which is a neat CB radio with weatherband that has all the controls in the microphone plus a remote box with a speaker output to hook to the FM modulator. You could hook up a separate GPS system with bluetooth through the FM modulator as well - anything that has sound output should be able to plug into the FM modulator.

Either of the two paths mentioned above are "scalable" - you start with the oem stereo overhaul, then the CB addition (oem Honda CB system for the intrepid do-it-yourselfer, or Cobra for modern reliability), then an Iphone or Ipod, then finally GPS paired with a bluetooth cellphone. In any case the FM modulator is key - the addition of this inexpensive device will allow you to input just about any electronic source to your oem Honda stereo system.
#7 10-28-2009, 11:50 PM,
Thanks for all your inputs! I think I have a plan of action now...

first - get the am/fm/cassett fixed...

Again, I appreciate each of your time, effort, and insight.
GaryB
#8 10-30-2009, 01:07 PM,
Yeah. Step one complete. Got lucky. Bought a AM/FM/Cassett off eBay for $88.17 including shipping....and it works great.

Also picked up a '86 Honda CB radio for my '86 Aspy. I haven't attempted that install yet. May need to get a few more pieces parts to finish.

Again thanks to all for the direction..
#9 11-09-2009, 01:36 PM,
I would have the original radio overhauled by Sierra then sell it on eBay at a Buy It Now price. I am almost certain that someone would pay a couple of hundred bucks or so for a radio that had been freshly rebuilt. Then you could use the proceeds for CB parts and an FM modulator.
#10 11-13-2009, 01:38 PM,
Jettdirect Wrote:I would have the original radio overhauled by Sierra then sell it on eBay at a Buy It Now price. I am almost certain that someone would pay a couple of hundred bucks or so for a radio that had been freshly rebuilt. Then you could use the proceeds for CB parts and an FM modulator.

Now that's a good idea.

Thanks,
GaryB
#11 11-13-2009, 08:52 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cell Phone 4 1,863 05-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Last Post: 85GL1200I
  Intercom and Radio Noise Mr. Ed 2 1,345 03-22-2009, 07:02 AM
Last Post: Ed Z
  How do you Hook up an intercom and you radio to your helmets 2 1,344 06-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Last Post: SIR tricky
  Radio/CB/Intercom thru headset pappy 3 2,459 06-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Last Post: silverfoxwing