Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mouse Repellant
I know there are quite a few of us on this site that have to put our toys to bed for winter so I thought I'd pass this info along, even though I've posted it on the other forum(s).

Just picked up the camping trailer from the dealer after having some repairs done and we got talking about winter storage. I'm storing the trailer out on the farm this winter for the first time and mentioned I wasn't looking forward to removing the moth ball smell in spring but I couldn't stand the thought of mice making my trailer their winter palace. Service manager told me what they've been using in their storage yard for the last 3 years with not a single mouse incident since they've started using them. The miracle product?

DOWNY Dryer Sheets!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.downy.com/en-US/product/ultra-downy-april-fresh-sheets.jspx">http://www.downy.com/en-US/product/ultr ... heets.jspx</a><!-- m -->

Apparently Downy uses a chemical in their dryer sheets that repels mice. But it has to be Downy. Other brands are not as effective. Sounds like the "Lemon Pledge on the windshield" thing, doesn't it?

Mentioned this to my brother-in-law last night and he tells me he heard about it and used them last year in his trailer and had no mice in spring, either. Nice guy! And he parked his trailer in a yard with a dozen boats and some of the boats had had mice in the seats so he knew that mice were in the area.

Needless to say, I'm loading the trailer/boat/bike with Downy dryer sheets this winter. I paid way too much cash for my toys to let those little freeloaders eat my investment. There's enough rat-bankers doing that!
Lawrence

'97 GL1500SE
'98 Valkyrie Std
#1 10-19-2009, 02:53 PM,
I've used the dryer sheets in my home. It does work. Never thought of putting a couple in the fairing pocket or air cleaner. Makes sense. For you guys that don't do your own laundry, the sheets come in different "levels" of fragrance. Always try to buy the highest level possible.
#2 10-19-2009, 03:08 PM,
Thanks for the tip Lawrence I will try that this winter.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#3 10-19-2009, 06:45 PM,
I'll have to tell a friend of mine about this. He's got a Suzuki Boulivard that some mice got into the wiring and chewed a few wires next to the triple tree. It shorted out the idiot lights on the speedometer so I trailered the bike to the house so I could work on it in my garage.

T'was a long hard battle but I got the wiring checked out and repaired,,, after a beer or 12..... :mrgreen:

[attachment=0]

Somehow after seeing that pic, I don't think his wife want's me working on his bike's anymore.... :lol: :lol:

Attached Files
.jpg   001_640x480.jpg (Size: 76.57 KB / Downloads: 190)
1985 Limited Edition
#4 10-19-2009, 09:50 PM,
Makes sense, I've never found any mice in my dryer..... :lol:
#5 10-22-2009, 07:16 PM,
Just bought a camper and the dealer said the worse place to store it is big steal building with dirt floor. My daughter keeps theres next to the house and uses Downy and never has had a problem
[Image: us-cANADA.jpg]
1978 Goldwing GL1000
1985 Goldwing GL1200A
#6 10-27-2009, 10:27 AM,
bob NE In. Wrote:Right...like I'm gonna put my 14 cats outta jobs!!!

I couldn't if I wanted to anyway....they have a union.

Bob, how the heck do you call 14 cats to dinner all at once???? :-J
#7 10-29-2009, 12:33 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Water Repellant Keener 1 954 08-02-2011, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Keener
  The Mouse has a Heart!! roscoepc 5 1,570 06-21-2009, 08:42 PM
Last Post: Guest