Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.8 Average
What Style Helmet
Just Curious, What Style Helmets Do Most Of You Wingers Wear? Half-- Open Face--Full Face?
Why Do You Like It?
Thanks
#1 09-22-2009, 04:36 PM,
Open faced with a half visor.
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#2 09-22-2009, 07:36 PM,
I use a half open face for short runs and I have a visor in my trunk in case of heavy rain. I use a full face with a visor for long runs and cold weather.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#3 09-22-2009, 07:46 PM,
an hjc ac-3 open face and an hjc cl15 ff mostly. i do have an hjc half helmet and a cs 12 hjc ff
'75cb750 ,'79cb750superK,
'93gl1500se, '79cb 750f,
'85cb450sc, '05sunL70
'06 ST 1300....william
#4 09-23-2009, 03:34 AM,
I run with a Bell Mag-8 3/4 helmet... I like it because the face shield flips up and under the visor (protected)... I normally don't use the face shield, but it's nice to have it all ready for use when heavy rains hit...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bikersden.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=2218">http://www.bikersden.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=2218</a><!-- m -->
Ed Zogg
#5 09-23-2009, 11:05 AM,
HJC full face. I've always used full face helmets and am comfortable with them.
#6 09-23-2009, 08:17 PM,
Open face only. I can't stop every two minutes to breath.
Claustrophobia?

Ken
#7 09-23-2009, 08:50 PM,
I've got 2 pairs of full, 3/4 and half helmets and it seems that the half helmets get the most use as a direct result of fit and comfort. Come fall the 3/4 and full helmets get more use. Personally I'd like to see them all sitting on the shelf most of the time when I'm riding if it was up to me.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#8 09-24-2009, 08:04 AM,
Hey Guys,
Thanks For The Reply's So far. I'm surprised, I Figured Most Wingers Wore Full Face! So Much For Stereotyping. I have 1/2 helmet & 3/4 . I Like Wearing The 3/4 So My Bike Sounds Newer! Vic, You Really surprised Me! You Go (REBEL)!!

Thanks Guys Keep Um Coming ^Smile^
#9 09-24-2009, 11:08 AM,
I DO NOT advocate, support or encourage anyone not to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle I would just prefer to make my own choice about wearing a helmet or not.

#10 09-24-2009, 11:54 AM,
admin Wrote:I DO NOT advocate, support or encourage anyone not to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle I would just prefer to make my own choice about wearing a helmet or not.

I SECOND VIC'S MOTION -- BUT WOULD EXTEND IT TO BICYCLE RIDERS MOST OF WHOM SEEM TO THINK THE GROUND IS SOFTER THAN THEIR HEADS.

A good doctor friend of mine -- literally, a world class obstetrician -- Fernando Arias from Colombia, South America (land where macho was invented) many years ago took up bike riding after he tried out my fancy 12-speed. I INSISTED he MUST wear a helmet -- which in his own words a year later saved his life. After buying himself a top-of-the-line 12-speed (and a helmet), being macho, eventually Fernando decided to go full speed down a hilly bike path (that runs along the Mississippi River parallel to a river road). He assumed (never riding on the path before) that the bike path was continuous. Wrong! Around a curve at the bottom of the hill, the path suddenly crosses the road, continuing next to the river. Out of the corner of his eyes, Fernando saw a pickup truck moving on the road in his direction. When to his sudden horror the bike path ended, Fernando swerved to avoid the road -- and the rest was inevitable. He went flying, landing on his head and shoulder (which got dislocated). When I went to visit him in the hospital, some skin was missing from his nose and both eyes were swollen, black-and-blue. Fernando thanked me for nagging him about the helmet which he claimed saved his life. Such is Colombian macho.

As for me, I wear a full face visor -- I'd wear a coat of steel armor but my bike couldn't carry the extra weight. :lol:

See: MCN tests cheap helmets

and just for the fun, another British made action video about the GL1500 MCN: Honda Goldwing Comfort first ride
[Image: Akriti2450x338.jpg]

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#11 09-24-2009, 12:58 PM,
Helmets don't always work: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://members.shaw.ca/jtubman/deadhelmet.html">http://members.shaw.ca/jtubman/deadhelmet.html</a><!-- m --> but unfortunately they always add weight and heat to your head. The choice should be up to me, same goes for my underwear or anything else that comes in close contact with my body. P.S. You might find that some of the links are dead but keep trying the other ones for the stories.

#12 09-24-2009, 03:14 PM,
admin Wrote:Helmets don't always work: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://members.shaw.ca/jtubman/deadhelmet.html">http://members.shaw.ca/jtubman/deadhelmet.html</a><!-- m --> .

I read the above narrative which is not really relevant to a generalization about helmets.
Obviously, wearing a helmet cannot guarentee a motorcyclist will survive a collision. However, the facts are that several medical and highway patrol studies from several states (U.S.), independently collecting statistically significant accident data in several states is consistently conclusive: large multiples of head trauma deaths of motorcyclists result from not wearing helmets. Examples follow:

The following is taken from an article published in the Journal of the American Medical Association in 1990 that is still cited today:

"... Two states that weakened their helmet-use laws from comprehensive to partial during the study period had increases in motorcycle-related head injury death rates (184% and 73%), and one state that strengthened its law from partial to comprehensive had a decline in its death rate (44%). Head injury death rates based on motorcycle registrations were also lowest in states with comprehensive helmet-use laws. Since helmets reduce the severity of nonfatal head injuries in addition to lowering the rate of fatal injuries, we urge the adoption and enforcement of comprehensive motorcycle helmet-use legislation. ..."

More recently, more bad news from Pennsylvania (published in WebBikeWorld):

New University of Pittsburgh Study Shows Motorcycle Helmet Law Repeal Caused Fatalities

June 25, 2008 - Two University of Pittsburgh researchers have published a new study in the most recent edition of the American Journal of Public Health. It is entitled “Changes in Motorcycle-Related Head Injury Deaths, Hospitalizations, and Hospital Charges Following Repeal of Pennsylvania’s Mandatory Motorcycle Helmet Law,”

Abstract: "To evaluate the 2003 repeal of Pennsylvania’s motorcycle helmet law, we assessed changes in helmet use and compared motorcycle-related head injuries with non-head injuries from 2001–2002 to 2004–2005.

Helmet use among riders in crashes decreased from 82% to 58%. Head injury deaths increased 66%; non-head injury deaths increased 25%.

Motorcycle-related head injury hospitalizations increased 78% compared with 28% for non-head injury hospitalizations. Helmet law repeals jeopardize motorcycle riders. Until repeals are reversed, states need voluntary strategies to increase helmet use."

The separate issue of state legislatures requiring motorcylists (and why not bicyclists?) to wear helmets -- BTW, not specifying which design must be used (e.g., a kids Halloween make believe football helmet could be legal) -- must be traced back to the "compelling" arguments to convince most law makers to adopt the law. My guess is (but I don't actually yet know), it has something to do with taxpayers "being forced!" to pay for head trauma medical costs from bare headed riders surviving bike crashes.
[Image: Akriti2450x338.jpg]

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#13 09-24-2009, 10:34 PM,
Granpah Wrote:
admin Wrote:Helmets don't always work: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://members.shaw.ca/jtubman/deadhelmet.html">http://members.shaw.ca/jtubman/deadhelmet.html</a><!-- m --> .

I read the above narrative which is not really relevant to a generalization about helmets.
Obviously, wearing a helmet cannot guarentee a motorcyclist will survive a collision. However, the facts are that several medical and highway patrol studies from several states (U.S.), independently collecting statistically significant accident data in several states is consistently conclusive: large multiples of head trauma deaths of motorcyclists result from not wearing helmets. Examples follow:

The following is taken from an article published in the Journal of the American Medical Association in 1990 that is still cited today:

"... Two states that weakened their helmet-use laws from comprehensive to partial during the study period had increases in motorcycle-related head injury death rates (184% and 73%), and one state that strengthened its law from partial to comprehensive had a decline in its death rate (44%). Head injury death rates based on motorcycle registrations were also lowest in states with comprehensive helmet-use laws. Since helmets reduce the severity of nonfatal head injuries in addition to lowering the rate of fatal injuries, we urge the adoption and enforcement of comprehensive motorcycle helmet-use legislation. ..."

More recently, more bad news from Pennsylvania (published in WebBikeWorld):

New University of Pittsburgh Study Shows Motorcycle Helmet Law Repeal Caused Fatalities

June 25, 2008 - Two University of Pittsburgh researchers have published a new study in the most recent edition of the American Journal of Public Health. It is entitled “Changes in Motorcycle-Related Head Injury Deaths, Hospitalizations, and Hospital Charges Following Repeal of Pennsylvania’s Mandatory Motorcycle Helmet Law,”

Abstract: "To evaluate the 2003 repeal of Pennsylvania’s motorcycle helmet law, we assessed changes in helmet use and compared motorcycle-related head injuries with non-head injuries from 2001–2002 to 2004–2005.

Helmet use among riders in crashes decreased from 82% to 58%. Head injury deaths increased 66%; non-head injury deaths increased 25%.

Motorcycle-related head injury hospitalizations increased 78% compared with 28% for non-head injury hospitalizations. Helmet law repeals jeopardize motorcycle riders. Until repeals are reversed, states need voluntary strategies to increase helmet use."

The separate issue of state legislatures requiring motorcylists (and why not bicyclists?) to wear helmets -- BTW, not specifying which design must be used (e.g., a kids Halloween make believe football helmet could be legal) -- must be traced back to the "compelling" arguments to convince most law makers to adopt the law. My guess is (but I don't actually yet know), it has something to do with taxpayers "being forced!" to pay for head trauma medical costs from bare headed riders surviving bike crashes.

I believe that Vic's main point is that he want's the right to choose!

Is the coffee ready yet...... :- :-
1985 Limited Edition
#14 09-24-2009, 10:44 PM,
Thank you roscoepc, that is my point precisely and to take it one step further I want the right to sue government if the helmet they force me to wear causes death or severe injury as a result of wearing the helmet. Helmets do not always work therefore I should be able to choose when I want to wear it. BTW, Granpah, will you pay for my loss if the helmet you advocate forcing me to wear is the root cause of my injury or death? I seriously doubt so yet I must pay big time for insurance in spite of being forced to wear a helmet.

#15 09-25-2009, 05:34 AM,