Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Aftermarket fan for GL1200
Having gone through my 2nd Honda fan purchased used from ebay, I wanted a better solution.

I purchased a Permacool 19128 8" electric fan from the web. Here's what the fan looks like out of the box.

[Image: CIMG2833.JPG]

I dismantled one of the failed fans, and tried a quick fit. Not bad !

[Image: CIMG2834.JPG]

To get it to fit right, I used a dremel tool and ground off all of the mounting tabs on the outside of the plastic fan ring.

[Image: CIMG2836.JPG]

I also ground a notch in the ring, that goes over the lip of the top end cap. This allowed the rest of the plastic fan ring to lie flat on the radiator fins for an ideal seal.

[Image: CIMG2837.JPG]

[Image: CIMG2838.JPG]

Surprisingly, one of the fans mounting holes lined up exactly with one on the bracket. It is at top in the next picture. I made an aluminum bracket to pick up the bottom hole in the picture and bolted it to the bracket.

[Image: CIMG2839.JPG]

The connector wires are the exact same color code, so I cut the connector off of the old Honda fan and soldered it to the new fan wires.
Here's the finished product. Seems to have much better airflow than the stock.

[Image: CIMG2841.JPG]

Mission accomplished.
#1 09-21-2009, 04:14 PM,
That looks pretty good. Any idea what the CFM is compared to the stocker?
Turtle
86 Interstate, ex  police bike
85 LTD, parting out

[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#2 09-21-2009, 06:56 PM,
garyft Wrote:That looks pretty good. Any idea what the CFM is compared to the stocker?

19128 8" Standard Electric Fan
Mounting Area Req'd: 8" x 10" x 2-1/4"
Est. CFM: 800
Motor RPM: 3000
AMP Draw: 4.5
Fuse Size: 30 AMP

Don't know the OEM fan
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#3 09-21-2009, 07:10 PM,
That will be much better. It's the exact fan that I have but I mounted mine on the front to make room for the crank pulley. It works great.
#4 09-22-2009, 07:22 AM,
Nicely done bbolesaz. Can you let us know if you are running the 3.5" or 4" crank pulley.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#5 09-22-2009, 10:03 AM,
I'm running a 500W Honda stator. See my other thread.

http://gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopic.php...56&start=0
#6 09-22-2009, 11:17 AM,
How's the 500 watt stator doing these days?
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#7 09-22-2009, 02:13 PM,
So far so good on the stator. Before I tore into the bike, the stator had been slowly failing. That and procrastanation on my part found me with a 5V battery and a dead bike on the way back from Mexico. No such problems since.

Lately, my problems have been with cooling. Like I said, I've had 2 fans fail, the original and then one purchased from ebay. This mod should fix that. However, when I was testing the system, I found a leak in the upper portion of the radiator core. Dang!

I have an ebay radiator on the way and possibly a shop that can fix the old one.

BTW, does anyone know a trick to remove the thermostatic fan switch without pulling the carbs off?
#8 09-23-2009, 08:22 AM,
The thermo switch sits forward of the bulkhead between the radiator and carbs, should be able to pull it without touching the carbs if the radiator is off. If you mean the temp gauge sending unit, I don't think I could get it without pulling the carbs.
Turtle
86 Interstate, ex  police bike
85 LTD, parting out

[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#9 09-23-2009, 08:33 AM,
For the thermo switch use a long extenson & deep well socket( forgot what size). Remove right fairing lower.You don't have to take anything else off.
#10 09-23-2009, 12:14 PM,
Many thanks gents. I thought the switch was behind the bulkhead also.

Thinking about maybe dropping some coin and having a custom aluminium radiator built for the old girl. Pricey, but riding between Phoenix and Payson in the summertime demands the best in cooling systems. Haven't had much luck with used ebay cooling parts lately.
#11 09-23-2009, 12:57 PM,
The fan switch can be replaced without removing the rad or carbs... It's a bit tight getting the plug (rubber boot) off and back on, but can be done... The problem I ran into was the connectors would push themselves back into the rubber boot and only make a surface contact... I ended up removing the rad such that I could push the wires onto the switch and then slide the rubber boot over the whole works... This process too could be done with the rad in place, but the extra effort and time to do it that way probably wouldn't be worth it,,,
Ed Zogg
#12 09-23-2009, 01:03 PM,