Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
SYNTHETIC vs. PETROLEUM BASED MOTOR OILS...WHY I SWITCHED
K Bergen Wrote:
larhjass Wrote:I think some of you guys are taking Vic's apology waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to seriously!!! However, Vic, my wife makes a terrific "Humble Pie" !!!! :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d
You have to take the eating of crow seriously or you could end up going out in public with black feathers stuck between your teeth. :ymblushing:

I'm thinking of changing to synthetic oil but am wondering how safe they are with a wet clutch and/or which ones are safe and which ones are not.

Ken

Tomorrow I will post the paper from Amsoil regarding wet clutches. So far no slippage at all on my bike when I abuse the clutch.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#16 09-18-2009, 09:56 PM,
Just an added note FYI, we changed the oil, using Amsol, in both the 1200 and the quad, right after that meet at Don's, Vic. The wing presents better shifting, but the most noticable improvement is in the quad, '03 Foreman 450, ever since we have had it, 4-5 years you could never start it without using the choke.. not even in the summer. Cold hearted beast. It has started everyday without using choke since. It had always had Honda oil in it from new. This is not just a recreational quad, it is used on the farm. We are pleased.
'85 GL1200 Aspencade
'07 Shadow Sabre 1100
South of Sarnia, SW Ontario, Can
#17 09-19-2009, 03:56 AM,
Thanks Vic, again we have all learned something from your efforts. I just changed my oil two weeks ago but my next change will be Amsol synthetic. BTW your new engine covers look good in black.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#18 09-19-2009, 04:40 AM,
Thank you Lane. Don't forget that you can order directly from Don and he can ship to you from the Toronto warehouse. I've grown to like the new covers on my bike, they really cut down on the heat you feel in the summer.

#19 09-19-2009, 11:18 AM,
As promised I have loaded the wet clutch compatility info into the lead post.

#20 09-19-2009, 04:59 PM,
admin Wrote:As promised I have loaded the wet clutch compatility info into the lead post.
Thanks for the added information Vic.
I'm still undecided on which way to go but the more information I can gather and understand will hopefully lead me to the right decision.

Ken
#21 09-19-2009, 05:17 PM,
I think the two biggest factors in my decision to make the switch to Amsoil (apart from Vic's testimonial and my reading the white paper) were the reduced oil temperature and no viscosity breakdown. I'm thinking the first may help extend the life of the new stator and the second assist in smoother shifting and reduced engine noise. The latter two really became apparent after riding for awhile on a hot day using dino oil. In addition, I'm hoping neutral will be a bit easier to engage. Synthetic is not inexpensive but if it lives up to all the hype, the added cost will be worth it. We'll soon see...
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#22 09-19-2009, 06:32 PM,
admin Wrote:Only scientific research such as the dyno testing I have done will prove the value of one oil over another. Take your bike and Mobil 1 or what have you in to a shop with a dyno and see if you get the same power increase that I did.

I have a couple of small problems to deal with...there is no dyno within 100 miles and no Amsoil dealer within 50 miles. My post was not to start the "oil war". My apologies if it seemed that way.

I searching through the Amsoil sight it does seem (at least to me) that Mobil 1 came in 2nd. So if I can't use the best without a heap of extra expense and much inconvenience, I will settle for the next best....whatever that would be...and only if it doesn't come with too much extra expense and inconvenience.

Thanks for your original post. I just may do the switch from dino to syn....yet!
8^)
#23 09-20-2009, 09:50 AM,
Just let us know how it works out for you GaryB.

#24 09-20-2009, 09:52 AM,
Ok, once I'd made the decision to make the switch, I went right out and bought four US quarts and did the change this morning. (Sorry, Don, but I was impatient!) Given other committments, we were only able to do a 60 km test run but I can confirm the engine runs quieter, shifting has improved and neutral is easier to find.

I want to give Don (GL1800) a plug as he was very patient and helpful in answering my questions.
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#25 09-20-2009, 04:18 PM,
CHANGING COLD SYN OIL

This site (i.e., Vic's test and other testimonials) convinced me to switch to AMSOIL. However, since AMSOIL isn't available off the shelf in my town, I picked up a gallon of syn Mobil (on sale $22) at my local Walmart and switched with the conventional mineral oil in there -- a way of "washing" out the last traces of mineral oil before switching to the more expensive [Image: mcf.jpg] AMSOIL ($50/gallon online -- including tax and shipping).

I haven't seen discussions here on changing synthetic oils -- but in theory it should not at all be necessary to warm the syn engine oil before draining it because of its low viscosity. So far as I can see, yet another advantage of using AMSOIL is that room temperature cold engine oil can be rapidly and completely drained -- no need to run the engine before changing oil. As I recall, the main reasons for running the engine before changing oil is to suspend the sludge and decrease its viscosity during drainage so it'll flow faster. But syn oils reportedly do not form sludge (breakdown products from mineral oil) and they freely flow at room temperature.

Finally, from comparisons of data I've seen on wear protection, AMSOIL comes out ahead [that is, The Four Ball Wear Test ]. This is especially important for starting cold engines during which most of the wear occurs.

Let me know your opinion(s) on changing cold syn oil versus hot mineral oil.

+ + + + + + + + + + NOTE: Added Sept. 24+ + + + + + + + + +

AMAZING DIFFERENCE!

So last night after seeing the new HD "Wizard of Oz" at our local theater, I changed the oil to Mobil 1 synth (I had already changed the coolant). Then this morning I went out for a test drive, and what an amazing difference! Yes, shifting was much smoother (and noticeably easier getting it into Neutral while not moving). I wouldn't have believed that just an oil change can make such a big difference in performance -- but there it is. [A couple of days ago, I swapped waterless Evans NPG+ with my old Honda half water coolant].

By the way, I had just changed to the made in Canada oil filter adapter [Image: TASFilter4.jpg]
and spin on filter -- all adding up to easier filter changes, and I believe that too is an improvement because filtration efficiency has moved up a notch.
[Image: Akriti2450x338.jpg]

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#26 09-21-2009, 01:39 AM,
Just wondering if there might be some concerns with oil leaks showing up with synthetic oils , that might not occur with convential oils. Thought I read/heard something about that somewhere. Anybody have any experience with that??? I'd love to have the obvious benefits that go along with the Synthetics but not if it will cause other problems.
If you ate today ,thank a farmer!!
#27 09-21-2009, 04:14 AM,
The only one I heard involved using rear gear case synthetic, it was blamed for an oil ring problem, the person changed the ring returned to dino 80 gear oil.

Warrenton MO on the way home
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#28 09-21-2009, 05:04 AM,
tricky Wrote:The only one I heard involved using rear gear case synthetic, it was blamed for an oil ring problem, the person changed the ring returned to dino 80 gear oil.

Warrenton MO on the way home

I have had synthetic gear oil in my final drive for two years now with no problems so far.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#29 09-21-2009, 05:24 AM,
Just an FYI for those in Canada.
We have an 8% decrease in the price of AMSOIL for the month of October. May see even more in the months to come if the U.S. currency lowers to our CDN $.
I usually give a 10% discount when guys buy a case. Now it will be 18% discount.
And if you become a Preferred Customer then you buy at the Wholeslae price and save even more.
Don

#30 10-08-2009, 05:46 PM,