Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
A question about AGM batteries
I copied this post I made in the alternator section, maybe I'll get more replys here in the electrical section.

I dont understand something here.

The Odyssey is $125.99
It's specs are 17 AH 220CCA 2 year warranty

The Xtreme Permaseal is $74.99
It's specs are 21AH 350CCA 1 year warranty

My understanding of battery tech is higher AH and higher CCA is better.
Am I wrong?
If I'm right then we're paying the extra $ for an additional 1 year warranty?

For me I think the higher capacity is worth more than another years warranty.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Odyssey looks like one of those "pay more for the name" deals like buying a Sony product.

Edit: Vic, stupid me, I meant for this to go in the electrical section not ignition section. Would you move it please.
#1 05-13-2007, 11:41 AM,
I think Dan that the Odyssey is in a category all it own and that's why it's a little more expensive. It's a deep cylce battery, it's a dry cell battery, it's a high reserve battery, it doesn't drip acid, it can be mounted in any position, it is vibration resistant and it's most things a motorcycle owner would want a battery to be and for that we have to pay a little more. Would I like it to be a little cheaper? Yes. Would I want to give up the features it has? No way. So I guess I just pay the price and just enjoy the fact that I don't need a trickle charger and that I can rely on my bike always starting when I need it to. I've been on the same Odyssey for 5 years now and I'll let you know when this one lets me down.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#2 05-16-2007, 03:19 PM,
I get what your saying Vic it's just that I've gotten very skeptical over the years after finding out after the fact that I've bought the "better" higher priced product only to find out it was the same product re labeled under a different name. I'm not saying this is the case with an Odessey, just being cautious. I dont like to get burned.

I see this all the time in my trade as an electrician. This practice is especially true in home entertainment components, particularly plasma displays. I've also heard there are less than a dozen battery manufacturers but dozens of brand names.

I guess for me as a die hard skeptic now I'd have to see a side by side comparison to believe the Odessey is worth the extra cost.
After all, both of these AGM's boast similar vibration resistance, high capacity and not needing a charge on it for storage.
#3 05-16-2007, 03:47 PM,
I can tell you for sure Dan that the Odyssey is definately not another AGM battery, although it is a lead acid battery in individual sealed cell packets that expands when heated or gases and the gases remix when the contents cool. That's where the difference lies. Most batteries gas and lose their essence over time whereas the Odyssey's claim to fame is in their completely sealed cells with engineered expanding bubbles that allow for enough expansion and enough elasticity to compress the chemicals back into the mix which keeps the composition stable for a much longer period of time. Also by keeping out air it keeps the composition cleaner and more stable. I'm no Odyssey engineer but I just think that I "get" how they do it.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#4 05-17-2007, 03:49 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sealed batteries SIR tricky 5 2,143 09-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Last Post: William_86