Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Trunk light turn-signal conversion
My 85 GL1200A is equipped with the conversion kit to install turn signals on the corners of the trunk (see link below). Just the other day, I noticed that one of the lights as burned out. How do you remove the corner lens cover to get at the bulb? Removing the lower plate (the one that gives access to the trunk tail light) doesn't really reveal any clues as how to remove the lens and get at the bulb. I'm afraid that if I try and brute force it, I will end up with a cracked lens.

Can anyone who has installed this mod before give me some clues at how to get the lenses off? Thanks.

- Pete

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/67_Lighting_Accessories/28961_GL1200_Gold_Wing_Trunk_Light_Conversion_Kit/?goto=%2Fpgroup_list.php%3Finc%3Dgl1100%26categoryid%3D67%26type%3Ddes">http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/67_L ... type%3Ddes</a><!-- m -->
#1 09-04-2009, 05:04 PM,
The entire assy needs to come out. Lift the trunk lid, you'll find two screws that come in from the top and two nuts that hold the studs on the outer edges. There are four total. All screws and nuts are removed from inside the trunk. Once the assy is out, you'll find two small screws that hold the corner lens to the center piece.
#2 09-04-2009, 05:11 PM,
Just this week, I installed a new set of corner tail/brake trunk lights (the "other" option) on my 85 GL1200 Int, swapping the lights for the corner reflectors (using the exact same kit that you referred to). Our Moderator described it 100% exactly like it is. :YMAPPLAUSE: ^Smile^ :YMAPPLAUSE: ^Smile^ :YMAPPLAUSE:

In my case, I have a trunk railing around the trunk making it convenient to (using two large plastic ties) to support the removed light assembly by hanging it from the railing while installing the new corner lamps. I had worried about the assembly which weighs 3-4 lbs. hanging from the bundle of wires that comes out in the bottom middle. But using longer ties or some twine, the same thing can be done with the back of the trunk rack if your bike dosen't have a railing. In my case, I was installing/splicing new wires so it made sense to not have any weight on the existing wires. But even just changing a couple of bulbs that will involve unscrewing the two screws holding the corner lenses in place, it may be useful to quickly slap a couple of plastic ties around the light assembly and the trunk rack for better support.

Cheers!
[Image: Akriti2450x338.jpg]

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#3 09-04-2009, 06:36 PM,
Thanks for all the help so far...I saw those fasteners earlier but I didn't think they had anything to do with the rear light assembly.

Of course, removal brings up another question. The light assemblies seem to have two bulbs. One bulb is on mounted on the back side of the trunk and is easily removable. The other seems to be mounted in a vertical orientation and only has one wire connected to it - a green one. See the circled item in the attached photo.

What is this thing? On one side, I seem to have a black ring around the inside (like it blew). The other side looks fine but does not light at all. Or is this a fuse? There seems to be a filament that runs the entire length of the bulb. Unfortunately, I don't have any of the installation literature (and neither does the PO). Also, they seem to be more or less permanently installed. Since I have the back torn apart, should I (can I) replace these items?

Note: I seem to be having a hard time attaching the photo. I'll keep trying...
#4 09-04-2009, 07:13 PM,
My kit came with a pretty good set of instructions even describing the color coding and which wire to attach to which preexisting one in the bike. I'll scan it in tomorrow -- and attach it here for you. So far as the tail/brake system is concerned (from memory!) the yellow/green wire is the brake (brighter -- elongated) one, the brown wire is the smaller, round taill light, and solid green is the ground. So far as I recall from the colored wiring scheme in the shop manual, the Interstate and Aspencade ae petty well the same scheme fro the trunk lights.

Tomorrow, I'll send in my scanned "official" instructions for the kit. [wife is giving me the third call to join her "already"!]

" ... If you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." ~ George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
#5 09-04-2009, 09:06 PM,
fysty-1 Wrote:Pete just a little FYI. If you have a Trunk rail, it will have to be removed as the units come out the backside of the trunk. Good luck :d :d :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE:
Oh almost forgot. The fuse like light is called a fussion or something like that & it is your brake light

I'll have to respectfully :- disagree. It depends on whether your bike has the type of railing that attaches to the trunk (then I agree) or the "other" design in which the railing has two arms that are anchored under the trunk through the bolt holes next to the helmet locks. The front has two more arms that sit on the frame between the trunk rack/hand hold and seat. THAT railing has about a 2" separation ALL around the trunk -- THROUGH which the unbolted light assembly can easily be slipped. ^Smile^

What follows is the "official" schematic (as promised) for installing the trunk lights. :YMHUG:

Attached Files
.jpg   â€¢Trunk light.jpg (Size: 157.61 KB / Downloads: 357)

#6 09-05-2009, 12:09 PM,
I've posted a close-up photo showing the DETACHED type of railing on my bike.

Attached Files
.jpg   Trunk rail.jpg (Size: 84.11 KB / Downloads: 341)
.jpg   Walgreen.jpg (Size: 140.35 KB / Downloads: 283)

#7 09-05-2009, 03:18 PM,
Quote:Does anyone know if someone makes a red lens for the saddle bag turn signal?

If you look at the link in my OP, it looks like the kits comes with both amber and red lenses for the truck lights.

I appreciate everyone's help. Turns out I had two problems. Both the running light and the turn signal were not functioning. Using my newly-developed soldering skills, I got rid of the blue connector that brought power to the running light. That fixed the running light.

To fix the turn signal, I cleaned off the bulb electrode and ensured that the mounting bracket was snug around the (-) terminal of the bulb. Can't say that I was very impressed by the means that the bulb is held in place and connected.

So riddle me this: why does the main trunk light (the 1157 style bub) have a running light connection (brown wire) and a flashing connection (green w/yellow). Since the running lamp has power all the time, doesn't that defeat the purpose of having the flashing input?

I hope nothing else breaks on this bike - the wife is starting to make comments...Stay safe this weekend.

- Pete
#8 09-05-2009, 05:52 PM,
pstelter Wrote:So riddle me this: why does the main trunk light (the 1157 style bub) have a running light connection (brown wire) and a flashing connection (green w/yellow). Since the running lamp has power all the time, doesn't that defeat the purpose of having the flashing input?
If you double check Granpah's attachment I think you'll find that it's a brake light.
That's how 1157 bulbs work, low intensity for the tail light and high intensity for the brake light.

Ken
#9 09-05-2009, 06:38 PM,
I have never seen a bike with red lens at the saddle bag cornners.

Poorboy
#10 09-06-2009, 09:19 PM,
Pete asked whether my 85 GL1200 Interstate is the original silver.

After a fairly detailed post, I somehow made it disappear. So here it goes again.

So far as I know, the silver is the original factory finish.

An authoritative Web site lists the standard Wing paints and their code
Steve Saunders who researched ALL Wing paints, lists the 85GL1200 Interstate as
Starshine Silver Metallic, NH144M
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/8357.html">http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/8357.html</a><!-- m -->

But before thinking about doing your own painting, read

"How to Paint Your Motorcycle"

and

"How to Custom Paint Your Motorcycle"

both by world class bike painter JoAnn Bortles

which can be had in good used condition from Amazon.com for about ten bucks apiece.

Words of caution: You'll need special equipment and someplace away from people and pets PLUS -- if you ever wish to ride again -- a high quality personal respirator, fitted with the correct canisters for protection against toxic fumes, and properly used! [The solvent fumes from the lacquer can kill you -- I write this as a retired medical research scientist for 40 years, and institutional safety officer responsible for 3,500 laboratory workers]

Turn to Page 17 and read under Safety from a posted online copy of JoAnn's book telling a sad story of what happened to her!

Best wishes for a happy and SAFE Labor Day (I'm taking it easy -- earned it),

Granpah

#11 09-07-2009, 08:52 AM,
Granpah -

Thanks for the info! (I don't remember if I ever got around to responding to your PM - if I didn't, here's a big public thanks.)

While I would love to paint the bike myself, I have just too many irons in the fire...so when I say "I'm thinking of painting the bike" I reallly mean is that "I'm thinking of paying someone to prep and paint my bike."

Cheers!

- Pete
#12 09-16-2009, 09:25 AM,
fysty-1 Wrote:
Granpah Wrote:I too would like to thank "Granpah" for his very informative post.

You're welcome!

BTW: I adopted the spelling "Granpah" 'cause that's exactly how you'd spell what my grandkids call me. :lol:

#13 09-16-2009, 02:47 PM,
Granpah Wrote:Pete asked whether my 85 GL1200 Interstate is the original silver.

After a fairly detailed post, I somehow made it disappear. So here it goes again.

So far as I know, the silver is the original factory finish.

An authoritative Web site lists the standard Wing paints and their code
Steve Saunders who researched ALL Wing paints, lists the 85GL1200 Interstate as
Starshine Silver Metallic, NH144M
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/8357.html">http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/8357.html</a><!-- m -->

But before thinking about doing your own painting, read

"How to Paint Your Motorcycle"

and

"How to Custom Paint Your Motorcycle"

both by world class bike painter JoAnn Bortles

which can be had in good used condition from Amazon.com for about ten bucks apiece.

Words of caution: You'll need special equipment and someplace away from people and pets PLUS -- if you ever wish to ride again -- a high quality personal respirator, fitted with the correct canisters for protection against toxic fumes, and properly used! [The solvent fumes from the lacquer can kill you -- I write this as a retired medical research scientist for 40 years, and institutional safety officer responsible for 3,500 laboratory workers]

Turn to Page 17 and read under Safety from a posted online copy of JoAnn's book telling a sad story of what happened to her!

Best wishes for a happy and SAFE Labor Day (I'm taking it easy -- earned it),

Granpah

Feel free to ask me for any tips regarding painting a bike. I've painted hundreds of cars and trucks and dozens of motorcycles.

Here's a shot of me squirting the yellow on my 84 Aspy.
[Image: DSCF0174-1.JPG]
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#14 09-22-2009, 09:54 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Left, but no right turn signal Gistsc72 1 236 11-28-2023, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Gistsc72
  Wonky Signal Light 8th_Hussar 1 1,860 07-24-2014, 09:36 PM
Last Post: bs175dths
  Turn signal/Stop light/ Strange behaviour DC44 13 5,407 01-17-2014, 01:09 PM
  turn signal problem 85GL1200I 5 2,592 08-13-2013, 08:26 AM
  license plate light, neutral light, front brake light problems steelhorseangel 8 4,742 07-16-2013, 03:35 PM
  LED Trunk Brake light 9 3,810 05-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Last Post: charron.bob
  Turn Signal Woes 90Blazer 5 2,238 04-09-2012, 01:51 AM
Last Post: Burnout
  Mystery short on right turn signal Garycw 5 2,310 01-26-2012, 11:37 PM
Last Post: firstwing85
  change out of rear stop/tail light and turn signals waltharper 4 2,322 06-21-2011, 04:54 PM
Last Post: JerryH
  Trunk rrunning light ??? 17 5,481 06-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Last Post: charron.bob