Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
New to group-
I wanted to say "HI" and ask you a question-
I just bought this '85 LTD (although I was 'generally' advised against the 1200, and especially the "injected ones") and expect it to get here early next week (EBAY purchase).
[Image: BNkdhmkKGrHgoOKiMEjlLmVzhzBKbKmFpbp.jpg]
PO says he JUST NOW found out (the very last time he rode the bike) that there's a (litterally) hot "yellow" wire down by the steering stem. He can see it from the fairing opening (near shelter). Any ideas what that is? (He says the volt meter still shows proper charge voltage.)
I also wanted to ask about the '87 Aspencade lower engine cover piece (air dam?). Will it fit on my bike? Know where to find it (fairly)?
You can see it in this pic-
[Image: 87RSfrontloangle.jpg]

Thanks guys,
mk. :YMBRINGITON:
#1 08-21-2009, 01:00 PM,
The lower cowling fits on your bike. Bolts on with 4 bolts that currently hold the lowers tight. If you are willing to ride up to Canada and do some "Midnight Auto" shenanigans Confusedhock: I could give you the address of the fellow I sold that '87 to. For a price, of course. :d And you'd be well advised to take the fork slide covers while you're at it. If I remember correctly Kansas has enough bugs that if you don't protect those forks you'll be discovering how to replace fork seals in the not too distant future.
Lawrence

'97 GL1500SE
'98 Valkyrie Std
#2 08-21-2009, 01:29 PM,
Welcome to the site Mark from Ontario Canada. Nice looking bike, In my opinion the GL1200 is the best bike ever made, I wouldn't trade mine for anything.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#3 08-21-2009, 07:27 PM,
What were the negatives you got on the 1200??? Want a GOOD opinion on the ownership of a 1200,...............ask VIC!!!!!!!
#4 08-21-2009, 10:33 PM,
I looked on mine and I think I see a yellow wire connecting to something located behind the right side of the triple tree. When you get the bike, could you post a picture of the area in question so I'll know exactly where to look? When I see the photo I'll see if I can find out what component that the wire goes too. I'll probably have to yank the fake tank off but that's no big deal as I've got plenty of experiance in that area!! :mrgreen:
1985 Limited Edition
#5 08-22-2009, 02:16 AM,
Negatives Recieved: (From a small local dealer)

Stators dying will cost you $1100 to have fixed. <-- Not a problem on the 1500, he said.
Need to remove engine to fix the "certain" stator problem. <-- No mention of auto alternator option.
FI (model) system is old, unreliable, and VERY expensive to find parts (IF you can even find them).

That's about it as far as advice I got... Except for a 1500 rider I know who said the 1200 was "a hot rod" with a gleam in his eye. :x

mk.
PS- I will certainly provide pics when I go searching for this mystery "hot" wire. My bike has a Kenwood radio in it so that might be a contributor to this problem.
***I might need a clue to the order of removing the 'shelter.' I suppose the seat comes off first, but I wonder if I can do that without removing the trunk...
[Image: SnapShot4.jpg]
#6 08-22-2009, 09:57 AM,
The seat will come off without taking the trunk off. You will have to remove both right & left fairing pockets. The rubber like filler panel next to the tripple tree(your right one is already gone). The tool tray, both side covers & the four bolts & it should come off.

Poorboy
#7 08-22-2009, 10:39 AM,
You can remove the false tank without removing either the trunk or the seat. Remove both side covers and the tool tray. Remove the fairing pockets on both sides (four screws each). Remove the rubber fillers on both sides to to access two bolts at the top of the false tank. (One of your fillers is missing, but they are cheap and easy to get off eBay.) Remove two bolts at the top and two bolts at the base of the false tank. Lift up on the false tank at the front and pull it forward; it requires a little manipulation and positioning of the handlebars. Then pull the false tank forward a little to slide the rear portion out from under the seat. It is only held on by the four bolts and the seat simply overlaps the rear. You will have to unplug your false tank computer.

That Kenwood stereo fits in there pretty nice. I like the fact that it has an auxiliary input.

While you are under there inspect the voltage regulator for cooked wires. Clean the connections and add dielectric grease to the connectors. Also change your air filter if it needs it.

If you do remove the seat it can be adjusted forwards/backwards to find a better riding position. At just shy of 6 feet, I prefer to set my seat all the way back.

If your windshield has never been adjusted, it is probably set in the lowest (sportiest-looking) position. By removing the mirrors and front trim piece, the windshield will adjust upwards two inches from the lowest position.
#8 08-24-2009, 08:30 PM,
Very good, Jett- ^Smile^

This present windshield is a wrap-around. Does that still adjust?

Someone else told me they put a slip-stream windshield from a 1500 on a 1200. I have always liked the look of the Tulsa tall shield, but I wonder if that's the same as the Slip-stream?

Lastly, I have just found a SEI windshield on EBAY and it has a motorized wiper on it. Was this ever a factory option?
[You see, I want to look thru the shield-] :YMAPPLAUSE:

Thanks all for the info,
mk.
#9 08-25-2009, 08:24 AM,