Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.8 Average
New members post up a howdy!
Hello Henning,

I just bought an 85 GL1200 Ltd. myself. I like it so far. I have to familiarize myself with all of those LCD readouts and buttons. Have fun in the sun with yours! UP'er
#61 04-22-2007, 12:43 PM,
Congratulations on your new purchase. That LTD is one of my favorite Wings. I hope you get many years of riding pleasure from it.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#62 04-23-2007, 04:48 AM,
Big Grin HELLO ALL, I HAVE BEEN A GL NOW FOR 7yrs AND HAVE FOUND THE PEOPLE GREAT... THIS SITE IS JUST WHAT THE DOCTOR ORDERED. I HAVE RIDDEN FOR 25+ YEARS, FIRST BIKE WAS A 550 KWI 2 STROKE 3 CYL THAT WAS SCREAMER, WOULD DO A WEELEY JUST LOOKING AT IT... THE NEXT WAS A 650 YAM SPECIAL(2 CYL), NEXT WAS A 650 YAM MAX, NEXT IS THE 87 GL WHAT CAN I SAY THAT HASN'T ALREADY BEEN SAID ABOUT THE 1200... I NOW HAVE A 75 CB750SS TRIKE, 2 CB750A HONDA AUTOMATICS 76/78 THESE AUTO'S ARE FUN TO RIDE I PLAN ON CHANGING THE SS WITH AN AUTO TO RIDE AROUND TOWN AS IT HAS A HARLEY SERVICAR REAR END SO NOT VERY GOOD ON THE HIGHWAY... ISN'T MOTORCLCLING FUN WITH ALL THESE TOYS...
THE GL IS THE ONLY BIKE I WILL TAKE ON LONG RIDES AS MY HIP JOINTS SEEM TO BE DETERYATING... YES I CAN BE A LITTLE WINDY AND PUT OUT TOO MUCH INFO BUT IF I DON'T WHO WILL... Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
1987 GL1200A
#63 08-07-2007, 04:19 AM,
Welcome Grizly58 Join all the others with deteriorating something or other, even if it is only the bikes Smile

Please post in lower case it is easier for most of us to read, if you have problems with being able to see the smaller characters, if your using windows xp , hold the CTRL key and use the scroll wheel to magnify the screen contents.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#64 08-07-2007, 08:28 AM,
Welcome, Grizly58. You're absolutely correct, this is a great site with membership growing weekly.
#65 08-07-2007, 09:27 AM,
tricky Wrote:Welcome Grizly58 Join all the others with deteriorating something or other, even if it is only the bikes Smile

Please post in lower case it is easier for most of us to read, if you have problems with being able to see the smaller characters, if your using windows xp , hold the CTRL key and use the scroll wheel to magnify the screen contents.

wow, what a great tip Tricky, I didn't know that! [Image: boyoboy.gif]
John McFarland
Chapter Director
GWRRA FL2-W
member 367388
#66 08-07-2007, 09:46 AM,
Just bought my 3rd wing. '84 Aspencade 1200 and trailer. :lol: Needs some TLC as in polish and such but it has almost everything I want or need.

This forum is a god-send for me as I am not really well informed on the 1200.

I look forward to meeting some of you, as I see we live in the same general area. I also look forward to meeting the rest of you as time goes by.

Now for my million dollar question. Confusedhock: Can straight pipes be put on a 1200 Aspencade? Confusedhock: If not, I would like some advice on what type of exhaust I need to make the bike louder. I know that may not be to everyones liking, but, I believe loud pipes save lives.
Big Grin Big Grin
That kid did what?
#67 09-30-2007, 09:55 PM,
Welcome, DataJack, from the west side of the country. You'll certainly find all you need to know about your new 1200 here.

I, for one, however, don't agree with the loud pipes save lives approach. Visibility can be achieved through far quieter means such as headlight modulators and LED replacement bulbs.

I suspect you might have started quite a debate.
#68 10-01-2007, 07:38 AM,
DataJack Wrote:Just bought my 3rd wing. '84 Aspencade 1200 and trailer. :lol: Needs some TLC as in polish and such but it has almost everything I want or need.

I look forward to meeting some of you, as I see we live in the same general area. I also look forward to meeting the rest of you as time goes by.

Now for my million dollar question. Confusedhock: Can straight pipes be put on a 1200 Aspencade? Confusedhock: If not, I would like some advice on what type of exhaust I need to make the bike louder. I know that may not be to everyones liking, but, I believe loud pipes save lives.
Big Grin Big Grin

I had straight pipes on my Wing for about 6 months and I loved it but my wife wouldn't ride with me because it was too loud plus I have 4" extensions that run all the way to the back of the bike which only served to amplify the noise, as I said it was great but everytime I shut the bike off I kept on saying what, what, what to people around me after a ride so I finally put a stock system back on. I found that I lost a bit of top end horsepower and a slight bit of gas mileage but now my wife rides with me again and I can hear people after I shut the bike down. :lol:
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#69 10-01-2007, 08:39 AM,
DataJack Wrote:Just bought my 3rd wing. '84 Aspencade 1200 and trailer. :lol: Needs some TLC as in polish and such but it has almost everything I want or need.

Big Grin Big Grin

If loud pipes save lives, why do so many people get hit by trains.

Good defensive driving will save your life and the stock pipes your hearing.

#70 10-01-2007, 04:43 PM,
keener Wrote:Welcome, DataJack, from the west side of the country. You'll certainly find all you need to know about your new 1200 here.

I, for one, however, don't agree with the loud pipes save lives approach. Visibility can be achieved through far quieter means such as headlight modulators and LED replacement bulbs.

I suspect you might have started quite a debate.

This might be so keener. I don't know how many miles or Ks' some of you put on your scoots a year, but I have put as many as 70,000 on in 18 months. And thats with snow on the ground too.
I am not a fair weather rider and thus I have been cut off, threatened with vehicles and people and just in general been looked at as one of "those bikers."

I put straight pipes on my 1980 wing and "bingo". They still looked at me as one of "those bikers" but they never cut me off anymore. They could hear a bike even though they may not have seen me. Also loud pipes to a non bike rider means "bad biker". So they tend to be a bit more careful.

As far as another biker driving a cage. Bikers are always aware of bikes in the 'hood, regardless if they are on one or driving a car.

Its not bikers that need to hear the bike. Big Grin
That kid did what?
#71 10-01-2007, 06:59 PM,
So I guess I have to ask again and be a bit more explicit. Can straight pipes be put on a wing? (with out causing damge to the engine).

I know I had them on my 1980 and it seemed to cause no damage. Can the same be said for the Aspencade? Smile
That kid did what?
#72 10-01-2007, 07:03 PM,
tricky Wrote:
DataJack Wrote:If loud pipes save lives, why do so many people get hit by trains.

Good defensive driving will save your life and the stock pipes your hearing.
I see you live in Waterford. The wife and I were in Brantford on the weekend. Maybe we can all get together for coffee. Meet somewhere in the middle so to speak. Smile
That kid did what?
#73 10-01-2007, 07:08 PM,
Pity you weren't around for our meet at Casey's at Kitchener last weekend.

That would have been real close to you.

I have mine scheduled for a head gasket change in the next few weeks so I am not riding it till after that's done, I cant get at it till after 13th October.

But keep an eye on the forum someone suggested a wintertime meet, you might be able to ride in the snow, I gave that up after a 70 mile ride in 6 inches of the stuff in the UK back in 1958ish besides my older bones don't take to the cold

If it happens I imagine unless global warming comes in with a vengeance most of us will be on four wheels unfortunately.

#74 10-01-2007, 07:53 PM,
:lol: LOL :lol: :wink: Now why do I find that so funny? Because it has hppened to me. I have been caught twice in snowstorms and the second time it kept me overnight in Burlington, and I lived in Hamilton at the time. The first time i could get the city bus home.

I fully intened to ride as much as possible this year. That way I can see how MY "old bones" hold up to the cold and just riding in general. I have not rode in 5 years now.

As for the meeting at Casey's, I too wish I had known of this forum.

Has anyone ever checked out the german restraunt in Conastoga?

Awesome food, all you can eat buffett. Maybe some time in the summer we could all meet somewhere and do a run up there to eat. Heck, lets meet in the winter in our cars and take a run up. Ha ha.

Like I said, I look forward to meeting you all.
That kid did what?
#75 10-02-2007, 10:22 AM,