Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.8 Average
New members post up a howdy!
Hello all, been apart of this site for about a week now. Great site!!! My name is Dave aka Starwatcher. I live near Canton,Ohio. I ride a 1980 GS750L Suzuki with 7000 miles on it and almost show room new, and more in tune to this site, a 1985 Limited with 68000 miles, which the stator went out last week. That is the reason I came to this site. I am in the process of doing a "poor boy mod". I am a ham radio operator (KC8EEY) and also build and operate my own telescopes for astronomy, my other hobby. I have had a computer for over 30 years, started with a EZ80 then TI99/4 and the list goes on from there, Linux is my main OS of choice. I am a retired construction Boilermaker and now Associate Pastor of a local church. Married for 34 years and I am 56 years old, I plan on staying there too!! lol Well I think that is enough info to help you determine if you and I have anything in common.
#211 05-05-2009, 07:19 AM,
Hello and welcome to the site. The biggest thing we have in common is the GL1200 and that is enough to keep us together as we ride. Tongue
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#212 05-05-2009, 08:38 AM,
Welcome to the site from Ontario Canada. As Vic said we have GL1200 in common and look forward to sharing information with you.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#213 05-05-2009, 09:29 AM,
Hello from southeastern British Columbia! Just joined, and trying to sort out how to post and provide the necessary info ... such as location, bike, etc.

1986 - 1200 Aspencade Trike (owned x 5 years, believe it to be an original Leman conversion with Ford Mustang rear)
1986 - 1200 Aspencade SEi (bought to trike in 2006, still sitting, so considering selling)
#214 05-07-2009, 10:32 AM,
Hi there ThreeWheelin'inBC and welcome. To modify your profile just go to the top of this screen and click on User Control Panel, then look at the left side of the screen and you will see Profile, click on it then make your changes or additions.

#215 05-07-2009, 10:49 AM,
Welcome to the site from Ontario Canada.
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#216 05-07-2009, 12:33 PM,
Hey, ThreeWheelin, WELCOME, especially as we now have another member from BC! As soon as you post your location, we'll chat.
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#217 05-07-2009, 03:27 PM,
Welcome 3wheelin! Always good to have another BC rider here! I think we have all corners of the Province represented now!
#218 05-07-2009, 04:49 PM,
Well I'll start by saying hi, I own a 86 sei 60,000 miles great bike, just got it this year. been a problem after problem with this one, first got it, battery wouldnt charge ended up being a regulator,, forks leaked bad had to replace seals, had to replace brakes, which calipers were sticking, was making noise from back so i tore it down and found the flange teeth and final drive teeth allmost completely gone, thanks ebay. while i had it apart the ride sensor rod was missing, honda doesnt stock this piece,, thanks ebay and thank this site because all the posts got me through every step without a manual.
#219 05-14-2009, 07:11 PM,
Welcome to the site sublimetoy, congrats on the new bike. This is a great site to get help. If you don't have a manual you can download one for free here.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://gl1200.free.fr/index3.htm">http://gl1200.free.fr/index3.htm</a><!-- m -->
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#220 05-14-2009, 09:11 PM,
Welcome to all that I've missed so far!! 8) 8)
1985 Limited Edition
#221 05-14-2009, 11:00 PM,
Hi everybody,
Been a member for a couple of days now but hadn't had time to look over too much except the read me first stuff.
A few of you know me from Steve's and Devan's sites and a few from Nekkid might remember me too.
Nice to see some friends here.
I don't, nor have I ever had an 1100 or a 1200 so I didn't know if I should join in or just let you guys get on together.
I THINK I joined here right after it all got started but can't remember for sure.
Anyway, I saw a question posted over on Devans's board asking about if members here could sign up for my free GLHelpers directory and I told the poster that since I didn't know the members here, I had no way to verify they weren't web trouble but that I had planned to join so maybe now was the time. So here I am.
I don't know much about the 1200's yet but I need to learn because I'm starting to make some products for the 1500s and others and several people would like me to make them for the earlier bikes as well. Since I'm more committed to making things for the classic GLs than the newer ones, I figured that would be another good reason to come on in and start getting some exposure to the 1200 and it's people.
So here I am. With all my reasons.
Again, I'm happy to be here and happy to see that Vic's board has evolved to this level of success since I watched it start seems like way back.
Very nice board and looks like very nice members as well. Thanks for allowing me to join in.
#222 05-16-2009, 07:22 AM,
Hello and a great big welcome Rudy. Be prepared to learn lots about GL1200's here and don't ever be afraid to ask a question as there are many members ready and willing to answer it for you. I'm anxious to hear about what you will be making for the GL1200's. Smile

#223 05-16-2009, 08:07 AM,
Welcome to the site Rudy, ask all the questions you want.
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#224 05-16-2009, 08:27 AM,
Thank you both.
Vic, I found out where I had signed up before... it was when you were on WowBB. I still remember that oil thread where you and Twisty got into a debate and he mysteriously took his ball and went home. Too bad we can't discuss things that have differences of opinions without somebody going off pouting someplace. We got that going on right now over at Steves. 3rd grade stuff all the way.

As for the products... I'm designing and just starting to produce are what I refer to as "Smart Products" mainly because they are microprocessor driven and do things a biker would like them to do for him or her (including me). This was something I always wanted to do for myself and due to having my job terminated out from under me on July 1, this year, I decided last fall, to get started on it knowing how long developments of this type take.

Basically I'm reverting to what I used to do up until 1994 when I started doing software development in databases and programming in PHP for a living.

There are currently 3 products I have in some stage of development or production in the Smart Products line:

SmartLight introduced on April 15 this year is shipping Plug&Play units for the 1500s and wire-in versions for all others.
For the bikes that don't have or need gear indication, they will have kickstand down alerts instead and I hope to have that version out next month sometime. Each product will have it's own page. Here is the URL for SmartLight with gear indicator and without (without is cheaper):
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://smartlight.rudysproducts.com">http://smartlight.rudysproducts.com</a><!-- m -->
I need to see if our own resident LED supplier can sell me the LEDs I need for these so we can keep it in the family. Haven't had time to contact him yet about it because I have been busy just getting the first releases out.
SmartSentry This will be a series of various specialized bike alarms designed specifically for GL's and can be adapted to others.
I hope to release some versions of those around the end of July. These won't be high dollar units like some can be.
SmartPanel This is a side panel restraint system and alert for the panels and box lids. It also interfaces with SmartSentry to make the panels as inputs to tie into the alarm system as well. This is also intended to be released mid summer.

As of July 1, this will be my only source of income other than some ebay stuff so it will be a product line and company consisting of one of us just like the LED sales are. Hopefully we can work together to help each other at some point. I've had a GL since 77 and had all Hondas before that. Been riding about 40 years now and engineering about 30. So I hope it's a good mix. I have had nothing but raves about the products, quality and priciing so far.

As a side note, I also have several non-commercial web sites. GLHelpers.com for travelers, GoldwingTech.info as a photo-guide site many have used for belt changes and wiring solutions, and something called RudysBackyard.com which is mainly a place to store and sell used stuff from because I thought the ebay store was too expensive and too restricting.
I also have SERRASJ.com which is a local southeastern riding group page that includes many members of all mixes of GLs and others who ride with us now and then, including some members here. It is a no-dues group that just rides to enjoy the ride and each other.

I am also hoping to be making several other items we can use such as:
A bulletproof 7v regulator
A replacement for the electronic speedo sensor sending unit
Rewound and replacement pulse sensor coils
And any other thing I can do to support keeping our older wings going and staying reliable as other sources dry up.
I also plain to do some audio things too and some imported specialty products we could use.

More than you wanted to know? Just thought I'd get that part over with now and leave it at that.
Thanks
#225 05-16-2009, 10:11 AM,