Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Right 2 pipes not getting hot
I have an 86 Aspencade se-i. I had it idling tonight and noticed that the right side 2 pipes were not getting hot. The 2 left pipes got very hot. This was after it was idling for about 5 minutes. The exhaust coming out of both tail pipes was warm, but I did notice that there was some kind of a crossover between the tail pipes. I just bought the bike recently and I am only slightly knowledgable about the mechanics of a bike-but I am learning.
Is it possible I am only running on 2 cylinders? If so, is there an easy way to verify this? It starts up just fine (fuel-injected), and seems to idle just fine. It starts out idling at about 1200 rpms, and then goes down to about 900 or 920 rpms.
Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tim
#1 10-06-2009, 07:22 PM,
tbiede Wrote:I have an 86 Aspencade se-i. I had it idling tonight and noticed that the right side 2 pipes were not getting hot. The 2 left pipes got very hot. This was after it was idling for about 5 minutes. The exhaust coming out of both tail pipes was warm, but I did notice that there was some kind of a crossover between the tail pipes. I just bought the bike recently and I am only slightly knowledgable about the mechanics of a bike-but I am learning.
Is it possible I am only running on 2 cylinders? If so, is there an easy way to verify this? It starts up just fine (fuel-injected), and seems to idle just fine. It starts out idling at about 1200 rpms, and then goes down to about 900 or 920 rpms.
Scott, 1986 aspencade 2 BLUE
#2 10-06-2009, 07:41 PM,
tbiede Wrote:I have an 86 Aspencade se-i. I had it idling tonight and noticed that the right side 2 pipes were not getting hot. The 2 left pipes got very hot. This was after it was idling for about 5 minutes. The exhaust coming out of both tail pipes was warm, but I did notice that there was some kind of a crossover between the tail pipes. I just bought the bike recently and I am only slightly knowledgable about the mechanics of a bike-but I am learning.
Scott, 1986 aspencade 2 BLUE
#3 10-06-2009, 07:43 PM,
Welcome to the Site, tbiede!!

A start would be to, one at the time, pull the spark plug wires off the plugs on the side that's staying cold and seeing if the rpm's drop. If they do, I'd say the engine need's to be balanced with a manometer as the adjustment is most likely off.

Also, I believe an easy way to see if your getting fire to the plugs would be to use an inductive timing light on each plug wire on the cold side of the engine.

More Intelligent members than I will be along shortly with more and better suggestions as to what your problem is!! 8)
1985 Limited Edition
#4 10-06-2009, 09:31 PM,
Generally speaking, no heat suggests poor, or non existant combustion.
Unfortunately, because it's fuel injected, the computer may be "compensating" for any irregularities it sees. This can sometimes make diagnosing harder than on a carb model.
At 900 rpm, I wouldn't suspect a major problem. Since the bike is new to you, some simple checks would be advised.
Check your compression. If the engine isn't viable, no sense throwing parts at it.
If your compression is even, timing belts are most likely installed correctly, although it would be a good idea to change them out.
The coils fire front and rear cylinders respectfully, so ignition isn't a likely suspect since it's isolated to one bank.
The throttle switch, fuel pump, filter and regulator affect all cylinders equally, so you can rule them out.
Look closely for things that are going to affect that bank.
Vacuum leaks, dirty injectors, faulty sensors. If you suspect a bad component, swap them left to right and see if the condition follows the part, or is consistantly on that bank. It may be something as simple as balancing the throttle chamber.

Roscoe types faster than me.
#5 10-06-2009, 09:40 PM,
glhonda Wrote:Roscoe types faster than me.

I'm better looking too!!!! :mrgreen: ;Wink :YMHUG:
1985 Limited Edition
#6 10-06-2009, 10:00 PM,
roscoepc Wrote:I'm better looking too!!!!

Let's face it roscoe...you and I have faces that were made for radio. #-O
#7 10-06-2009, 10:06 PM,
glhonda Wrote:
roscoepc Wrote:I'm better looking too!!!!

Let's face it roscoe...you and I have faces that were made for radio. #-O

You're right! A radio that's turned off!! :d
1985 Limited Edition
#8 10-06-2009, 10:07 PM,
Hello tbiede and welcome! If the bike is relatively new to you, it’s more than likely the previous owner didn’t service it properly. My ’85 LTD did the same thing as your describing, when I first got mine.

I would start by FIRST doing a thorough throttle body cleaning. It’s probably never been done. Might as well change the air filter while you’re in there. Check all the vacuum hoses. If in doubt, throw them out! I had to replace all of mine due to dry rot and leakage. Change the spark plugs.

Then SECONDLY, do good throttle body synchronization and balance the two bank sides together. I bet it’s WAY off. Also re-set your idle speed. Yours is too low. Should be at 1000 rpm at operating temp. (mine is set at 1050-1080) This will also keep up the charging rate at idle speeds.

THIRD, get some Sea Foam or Chevron Techtron fuel injector cleaner (use a slightly heavier concentration) and ride the bike hard ! Run through two or three tanks. (BTW, gas mileage will be terrible while you’re blowing it out) After you’ve ridden for several hundred miles and cleaned everything out, re-check the balance of the throttle bodies. It will be slightly off.

You’re idle speed when “cold” is too low. It should automatically idle up to 1500-1700 rpm when first started, then settle down as the bike warms up. If this doesn’t happen after you clean and balance everything out, then the air valve will need some attention.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you make out ! You may want to consider getting a good service manual such as a Clymer or Honda factory.
Adam
'96 ST1100
Brewerton, NY
#9 10-07-2009, 05:09 AM,
Thanks for all of the info. guys. I am looking forward to tearing into her this winter! I want to check and clean all electrical connections, the stator wires, etc. I am also getting the EEE on the compressor readout, which I suspect is electrical connections.
Just passed my rider's safety course today! I will get my completion card in the mail in about 2 or 3 weeks. This allows me to go to the Secretary Of State and get my "M" license, without testing. I am looking forward to that.
Happy and Safe riding everybody! :d
#10 10-11-2009, 03:26 PM,