Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
If it can be screwed up, I can get it done!!
I just got finished replacing my rear tire on my bike, and I was so proud of my self because I took the time to completely polish the rim and everything was looking very good.. After several hours of work on the rim, it was time to put everything back together. Everything went as smooth as silk (I couldn't believe it) until it came time to torque all of the fasteners. As I was torquing the smaller bolt that holds the brake caliper to the bracket, it snapped completely in two. To compound things, not only did the bolt snap, but it snapped in a manner that just enough of it is protruding from the hole that it's not allowing me to pivot the caliper upwards in order to remove the remnant. If possible, I would like to avoid having to remove the tire. So, I'm thinking that I need to drill a hole in the broken bolt and try using an ez out to remove. My explanation is probably as clear as mud, but I am hoping that you can understand my situation. Is this my best course of action? If so, what size drill bit should I use in order to drill the initial hole and what size ez out would work? If this is not my best solution, I am certainly up for any and all suggestions.
#1 06-26-2009, 04:42 AM,
first off start with a small drill bit and hopefully centered,get the hole as deep as u can than u possibly can enlarge the drill bit to take out enough of the broken bolt that u will be able to move the caliper out of the way

after that enlarge the hole to get a ez out in,hopefully it will come out than......at this point its whatever works

make sure you chase the hole with a tap before you try to install the new bolt

good luck we have all been there,
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#2 06-26-2009, 05:09 AM,
If it just broke from tightening not from being cross threaded I would try a left handed drill bit. They do make them. Using the left handed bit while drilling the bit may bite into the broken bolt & back it out. The broken piece should turn easy.

Poorboy
#3 06-26-2009, 06:25 AM,
bob NE In. Wrote:DO NOT...I repeat.. DO NOT use an EZ-Out!!!

I do, on average, two exhaust manifolds a month. Studs break. I use a left handed drill bit and an easy out on every one of 'em. Done it like that for nearly thirty years. Am I using the wrong tool?
#4 06-26-2009, 02:15 PM,
I know that this is going to be hard to believe, but the "fix" went a whole lot better than I expected!!!! Believe it or not, when I removed the other caliper bolt, it gave me just enough lee way to pivot the caliper off of the broken bolt. I sprayed the bolt with "Aero Kroil" (a topic best left for another day) and let it set for a few minutes. I inserted the bit in the drill and was doing my best to get a straight angle into the bolt, when I noticed that it moved!!! Ever so slightly, but it moved. After seeing this, I opted for the screwdriver and hammer routine....slowly tapping the remnants of the bolt. Much to my surprise it turned very freely! Another couple of taps and I was well on my way. I removed the straggler and replaced it with a brand new bolt and everyone lived happily ever after!

This was a rare occurrence, but everything worked out!!!

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Chester/Chula
#5 06-26-2009, 05:05 PM,
glhonda Wrote:

I do, on average, two exhaust manifolds a month. Studs break. I use a left handed drill bit and an easy out on every one of 'em. Done it like that for nearly thirty years. Am I using the wrong tool?

Well if yer not breaking any gl,, I'd say yes you are using the wrong ones!! Stop using those good John Deere EZ-Out's and try a cheap chinese brand like Bob!!

=)) =)) =)) =)) =))
1985 Limited Edition
#6 06-26-2009, 09:34 PM,
Congratulation's on getting that bolt out Chester!! I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but that's why gl uses a left hand twist drill bit. If the bolt break's loose while drilling the drill will take the broken bolt right out!! 8)
1985 Limited Edition
#7 06-26-2009, 09:38 PM,
I think Bob's mother was terrorized by an easy out while he was still in the womb :roll:
#8 06-27-2009, 10:34 AM,
bob NE In. Wrote:Much like there is a difference between a railroad flare and a stick of dynamite.

[Image: queer.gif]

Yes, it's very difficult to catch fish with a railroad flare. :lol: :lol:
Bob Smith
2000 Aspencade - Mine
2009 Shadow Aero Touring - Hers
2000 Shadow ACE 750 - Sons
http://picasaweb.google.com/goldwings4ever/
#9 06-29-2009, 05:27 AM,
:mrgreen: Y'all guys got snakes in yer heads!
Trying to keep the rubber side down and the dummy side up.
Member Iron Butt Association
#10 06-29-2009, 09:18 PM,
glhonda Wrote:

I use a left handed drill bit and an easy out on every one of 'em.

Do you keep those left handed drill bits with your left handed hammer? :roll:
#11 07-01-2009, 08:44 AM,
Man o Man, As an Airccraft Mech now for more than a couple of years, the broke bolt or screw removal question has come up a lot. Grab-It makes a fine removal tool,and Snap-on as well, Some tools better than others, But it all ways comes down to what worked this time. Ive had to try 3--4 methods to finely get a screw out.

Until next time Keep the dirty side down
Jetmek
84 GL 1200 I
#12 07-01-2009, 09:43 AM,