Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Polishing Windshield Trim
When my windshield trim starting looking really bad and scratched up several years ago, I decided to just paint it black. It's been okay, but now I'm thinking of going back to the original unpainted version. Has anyone tried to polish these to get rid of the scratches... like totally buffing or polishing out the brushed aluminum look? Is it possible, or kinda of a silly idea? I see a chrome version on eBay now and again, and I remember these were sold as Markland or Sabre options years ago, but if I can just spiff up the original I don't mind the elbow grease versus the extra cash.
#1 06-08-2009, 08:46 AM,
You can polish them, I used Auto-sol and it worked great with a bit of elbow grease. I got most of the scratches out but the trim is not very thick and it depends how deep the scratches are.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#2 06-08-2009, 09:02 AM,
I polished my windshield trim with a buffing wheel. It works well. Warning: If you have deep scratches that you are not going to buff out, they will stand out like nobody's business. (Wanna guess how I know?) :mrgreen:
The Rev. William B. Henry, Jr.
1994 GL1500SE Trike
#3 06-08-2009, 08:12 PM,
So does buffing it out polish it up? Do you get rid of the original brushed look? It's been a while since I did it, but it seems to me that I tried buffing it at one time and it looked so bad that I HAD to paint it. But maybe I didn't spend enough time on it....
#4 06-08-2009, 08:27 PM,
I've not tried polishing the windshield trim, but on the other aluminum thingies on my bike I used an 8" cloth buffing wheel with Mibro stick polishing compound, #3, (for the pitting), and then used #6 for semi final buffing and finished buffing with Mother's Billet Polish. Then I waxed everything with about 8 coat's of Mother's Carnuba Cleaner Wax.

She's Puuuuurty!! 8) 8)
1985 Limited Edition
#5 06-08-2009, 09:32 PM,
Do what Roscoe said. The windshield trim will shine up just as well as the timing belt covers, valve covers, etc. (By the way, don't forget it will help greatly if you remove all the laquer first. I used Klean-Strip for Aircraft. The coating just "bubbles up" and is easily removed. Then buff away!)
1994 GL1500SE Trike
#6 06-09-2009, 08:44 PM,
Having buffed a few items on my bike, I will next time apply some clear sealer on them afterwards... I found that even with wax on them, they tended to need far to much attention through out the year to keep them looking good... I'm going to go the route Mother Honda used (clear coat) all the aluminum that I shine up... I'm leaning towards a POR 15 product to do the job...
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.por15.com/GLISTEN-PC/productinfo/GPCGG/">http://www.por15.com/GLISTEN-PC/productinfo/GPCGG/</a><!-- m -->
Ed Zogg
#7 06-10-2009, 07:38 AM,
I cheated. Bought a chrome one. :lol:
#8 06-12-2009, 05:59 PM,
sundance Wrote:I cheated. Bought a chrome one. :lol:

I'm tempted... but....

So I didn't follow up for a little clarity. When you buff the originals out, are you buffing down through the brushed part? I'm imagining that buffing just to that level won't do much for the looks, so would one of you confirm that you're actually buffing down to a plain polished aluminum look?

Thanks.
#9 06-16-2009, 11:28 AM,
Ed Z Wrote:I'm leaning towards a POR 15 product to do the job...
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.por15.com/GLISTEN-PC/productinfo/GPCGG/">http://www.por15.com/GLISTEN-PC/productinfo/GPCGG/</a><!-- m -->

Please let us know how this works out. I checked out the product on the site and it looks like a pretty effective treatment (used POR for a fuel tank some time ago). I wonder how far a pint will go?
#10 06-16-2009, 11:31 AM,
Yes, buffing down to a mirror-like finish! No "mat" or "brushed" design left on it.
1994 GL1500SE Trike
#11 06-16-2009, 12:38 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Polishing old fairing bagelboy 11 4,751 03-15-2015, 04:06 AM
Last Post: bagelboy
  Cleaning/Polishing Black plastic etc. 10 2,876 06-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Guest
  Has anyone refinished the windshield trim? vleighty 12 3,170 02-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Last Post: admin