Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
My 84, the yellow is coming along
Steps:

Completely disassembled all plastic from the bike.
Removed all rubber, screws, badges, etc. from the plastic
Bagged and labelled everything becasue I knew this would be a long project. 6 months because I was in no particular hurry.

Sanded everything down with 250 grit to get the shine off.

Coated all pieces with primer (grey)
Coated all pieces with an epoxy based sealer by PPG (white) better for yellow
Bought PPB Deltron in Y130P Hot Rod Yellow Pearl
Total Qtys were 2 qts base, 2qts mid coat, 3quarts clear and hardner
The base and mid coat are a 1:1 ration mix with the reducer.
Basically sprayed each part however many coats to achieve the results.

Those were my quantities but we ran into issues and had a few redo's Also being a 3 part system was a little more expensive than just a base and clear.

Issues:
The burgundy on the wing kept being reactivated by the PPG product. On some pieces it lifted the old paint right off of the plastic, old primer, and all. We had to recoat several pieces in primer and sealer.

When I say reactivate, I don't mean the yellow wasn't hiding the old color. The old color was literally rewetting and bleeding through the yellow.

Perhaps the Deltron was not the components to go with. In the end it gave us a lot of headaches. But it is so much better than 80's burgundy....
#16 06-22-2009, 03:11 PM,
Good info, Ken. I'll save this for future reference! My original blue is doing the typical "clear coat shuffle" and the front fender, and parts of the saddlebags and trunk have patches of this on them, plus I even painted the tank lids black one day because I hated staring down at the blotching ("so why are you looking down instead of straight ahead, dummy!?) :-)

Anyway, I always thought the GL1200 would look great in that bright yellow and you guys have proven it!

I'm too busy enjoying just riding it seriously for the first time in a while, with new tires, brake pads, seat and other stuff, so it'll be a while before I feel like tearing it down. On the other hand, I have a spare dummy tank cover, and some SEI lowers, and the thought hit me to collect a complete set of plastic from other bikes and paint THEM instead... then I can truly do it at leisure. We'll see.

Thanks, Ken.
#17 06-22-2009, 03:20 PM,
I get a lot of very nice compliments on the yellow on my Wing and many drivers have told me that I am very visible on the road.

Here's a couple of pics showing my bike all apart and ready for paint and the other one shows me spraying it. Lots of room is needed for a paint job like this and fortunately a friend let me use his professional booth for the job. I used 2 part polyurethane paint from PPG and had no problems whatsoever with the original paint lifting.

[Image: DSCF0156.JPG]

[Image: DSCF0174-1.JPG]
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#18 06-22-2009, 05:43 PM,
A paint booth would have been nice Wink

Yeah, not sure what the deltrons problem was but the burgundy bled through like when you put a paper down to soak something up. Just bizarre looking... Ketchup and Mustard only belong on a burger, not a bike...
#19 06-24-2009, 08:02 AM,
That's incredible considering that you used a good quality sealer. I used the original, with clear coat removed, paint as a base and I spot coated the repair areas with 2K primer and it didn't lift, bleed or fisheye anywhere. It would be nice if you could talk to a tech and find out what the problem was.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#20 06-24-2009, 08:35 AM,