Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dunlop E3 minimun tread depth...when to replace?
Quote:Excessively worn tires are more susceptible to penetrations. Always remove tires from service before they reach the tread wear indicator bars (1/32 of an inch tread pattern depth remaining). Worn/unworn tire combinations and worn tires used in wet conditions can result in deteriorated handling.

I copied the above from the Dunlop site.......

I ordered a new E3 for the front of my bike, I thought it was time. But I have way more tread left, easily 1/8 inch. Am I jumping the gun on the tire replacement? I want to be safe, but I don't believe Dunlop would publish that if it was not true.

Do you folks run your tires down to 1/32" tread before replacing them?

I need to hitch up the reading glasses and take a good look at those indicator bars, maybe I'm missing something......

What do you guys think?
A rainy day off beats a sunny day at work any time..................
#1 06-05-2009, 04:36 PM,
I go with peace of mind and safety over anything anyone publishes or thinks. I just replaced my front E2 with a E3 due to finding two cuts in the front tire.There was at least 4/32 left in tread. The cuts did not spread open as if they were under stress and in probing them there was no tread showing and did not appear to go deeper then the lowest point of the tread. I had a couple of more experienced riders look at it along with the local Honda shop and they all agreed it "Probably" would be OK. I couldn't get it off my mind and as I have stated in another post my wife is to precious to me to put her in a bad situation especially over $100.00
I think the real answer to your question depends on your peace of mind and your riding situation. If you are never in rain you "Probably" would be OK. If you are caught in rain then we all know the more tread the better. The fact that you are even looking at it tells me your mind is not at peace.

Hope this helps
#2 06-05-2009, 05:00 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Metzler 880 Tread Failure neoracer 10 7,619 06-16-2013, 12:41 AM
Last Post: neoracer
  Elite III tread direction roscoepc 10 3,879 09-16-2008, 04:31 PM
Last Post: BearOnt