Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Different length battery bolts?
OK - I haven't asked a dumb question for what must be days now...

I like to connect battery standby chargers on my bikes because I haven't smartened up and bought Odyssey batteries yet.
And I am adding other connections - heated clothing connector, now two of them on the Wing, maybe GPS power, and so on.

Can a guy buy proper battery connection bolts of different lengths to accomodate adding these accessories harnesses?

#1 11-05-2010, 05:17 AM,
have never seen any but hope that somebody has
what i have done is cut a small piece of thick,wide wiretie and placed it under the existing bolt
works better than nothing at all
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#2 11-05-2010, 08:23 AM,
Any hardware or home store will have the same bolt in different lengths. (Lowes, Ace, HD, etc.)
#3 11-05-2010, 08:28 AM,
I use a short piece of small diameter clear tubing under the battery terminal "nut". It helps hold the nut up and in place. I also had to find a longer bolt for some of the "add-ons" but the piece of clear tubing sure works sweet for me.

gb
#4 11-05-2010, 01:59 PM,
You can eliminate many of the accessory power connections at the battery by adding a new fuse block. On the Aspencade, as I see you have, under the false tank at the OE fuse block the top fuse is for accessories, two screw terminals above it for positive and negative, this circuit is switched via the key. What I did is run one wire to the positive screw to a relay, then a ten gauge wire to the battery. Then wire the relay to a six circuit fuse block and now run all my accessories from the new fuse block. The fuse block is mounted under the fairing just behind the left shark fins. I run my satellite radio, GPS, extra running lights, phone charger etc from there. Here's a photo looking through the shark fins.

[attachment=0]

Attached Files
.jpg   fuse relay accs.JPG (Size: 318.74 KB / Downloads: 142)
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#5 11-05-2010, 06:05 PM,
Roleketu Wrote:You can eliminate many of the accessory power connections at the battery by adding a new fuse block. On the Aspencade, as I see you have, under the false tank at the OE fuse block the top fuse is for accessories, two screw terminals above it for positive and negative, this circuit is switched via the key. What I did is run one wire to the positive screw to a relay, then a ten gauge wire to the battery. Then wire the relay to a six circuit fuse block and now run all my accessories from the new fuse block. The fuse block is mounted under the fairing just behind the left shark fins. I run my satellite radio, GPS, extra running lights, phone charger etc from there. Here's a photo looking through the shark fins.

[attachment=0]

I've been gonna do something similar, but just ain't found one dem round-to-its. I'm planning on putting the add-on fuse block next to the original. I don't have the reg/rectum-frier cause I'm run-n the Po-boy charg'n system.
#6 11-06-2010, 01:24 PM,
I chose behind the fin's so I have easy access to replacing a fuse. At the OE rectifier you would have to remove the false tank to access fuse replacement.
[Image: VisitedProvincesMap.jpg]
[Image: VisitedStatesMap_zps8229ee64.jpg]
#7 11-07-2010, 03:02 AM,