Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
ARE YOUR BRAKE HOSES TOO OLD? 10% discount on new ones here
Hi Jess, if you've got clean oil and the proper amount of oil in the forks and the anti dive is set to position #4 then the anti dive should be working. Hold the front brake tight and bounce the front end down and you should see it in action compared to position#1.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#31 01-31-2010, 12:46 PM,
I asked this on another thread, so please forgive the redundancy. Vic, is getting the fairing removed a day or weekend job? Got the hoses, got started (well, got the bike on the lift, that is) and the sun came out. I didn't want to disable the bike for the only good weekend in quite some time so I opted for later. Actually, those wind deflector bolts on the lower tree are what gave me pause for reconsideration. I'm not against tedious work, as witnessed by my ground-up rebuild of the old '75 GL, but just slower and more cautious this time around.
Jess
#32 03-26-2010, 11:14 AM,
You could remove and reinstall the fairing in less than an hour Jess if you have a good helper for the lifting off and setting on process which will only take a few minutes of your helper's time. The hardest part is the electrical but even this goes smoothly if you pay attention when you tear it apart and you're good with using a couple of long screwdrivers to get the connectors back in place.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#33 03-26-2010, 11:41 AM,
I just completed installation of a set of Venco DOT approved stainless lines. Nice kit, everything fits properly.

And the S.O.T.P.D. (seat of the pants dyno) confirms a welcome increase in braking performance. "Your results may vary..."

Just a note if you install the the clutch line - it comes as one piece - the stock line is combined rubber and fitted steel. A secret benefit is the flexible clutch line can now be pushed out of the way to get at that &%@ fuel filter bracket nut.

#34 04-02-2010, 06:10 AM,
Why not use a one piece front hose, and a one piece front to rear master hose? Wouldn't this make installation a whole lot easier?

The rear hose on the swing arm I understand leaving attached to the metal line, but if the clutch is changed to a one piece why not the other two? This way no dis-assembly of the bike other than the top shelter should be necessary, or am I missing something?

I can order from Canada for the 85-87 for $110.00, or get them made custom locally for $150.00 including UV and Kevlar reinforced sheaths, but still have the question of what is the difference between the 84 and the 85 lines other than a slightly different parts number on Honda's parts list.
I know Venco has great products and service, but their lines are also very very expensive compared to others I can find. like $200.00 extra.
'RIDE TO BE SEEN' :d

Most common quote from a cager after killing a motorcyclist.

"I never saw him" instead of "I never looked for him".
#35 04-02-2010, 09:25 AM,
Hi all, I know this thread is pretty old...so am I....that's another story! :d
Do these kits come with all the fitting angles figured out / premade?
I have been considering this type of upgrade,but, every site I tried want me to figure out the angles and such..P.I.T.A.! Confusedhock: It sure would be worth it to me if all I have to do is order & pay... :-J \:d/ Thanks!
#36 04-02-2010, 05:52 PM,
BladeRunner Wrote:Hi all, I know this thread is pretty old...so am I....that's another story! :d
Do these kits come with all the fitting angles figured out / premade?
I have been considering this type of upgrade,but, every site I tried want me to figure out the angles and such..P.I.T.A.! Confusedhock: It sure would be worth it to me if all I have to do is order & pay... :-J \:d/ Thanks!

I only have experience with the Venco Wings kit - it is a buy, install, and ride kit - everything fits in original position well except the slave cylinder end of the clutch line - the Venco line is one piece and fits better if you run it straight up from the slave cylinder rather than trying to angle off toward the right side of the bike through the clip type support bracket like the original. They have installed a swivel on that end to allow you to work the line into position. It sounds more complicated than it is when you are installing the lines. The stainless lines are somewhat "stiffer" than the rubber original equipment but if you take your time it is a worthwhile upgrade to the GL1200.

They also sent my parts by mail so I did not have to pay those nice UPS brokerage fees (only GST at the post office), and sent email advising when shipment was made etc. Great service.

#37 04-03-2010, 05:27 AM,
Thanks Wing, I went to the web site,but, I couldn't find any pics OR description of the lines. Confusedhock: Do they have a cover? Does it come in different colours? Is it UV safe? As I said about a couple of other sites; They want you to order by picking the different fittings, AND to pick the angles :roll: ..I guess you could do that,but, it's a lot of extra work and I don't think it could be done unless you remove all of the lines first to use as a guide :-L Venco is more expensive,but you get what you pay for usually! :d ^Smile^
#38 04-03-2010, 11:15 AM,
BladeRunner Wrote:Thanks Wing, I went to the web site,but, I couldn't find any pics OR description of the lines. Confusedhock: Do they have a cover? Does it come in different colours? Is it UV safe? As I said about a couple of other sites; They want you to order by picking the different fittings, AND to pick the angles :roll: ..I guess you could do that,but, it's a lot of extra work and I don't think it could be done unless you remove all of the lines first to use as a guide :-L Venco is more expensive,but you get what you pay for usually! :d ^Smile^

If you look at the product description there are images of lines in packages. I don't believe they come in different colors. My lines did not have covers other than the coating that is on the line.

#39 04-05-2010, 05:02 AM,
Hi Vic--Am about to replace my brake lines on my 86 Aspy, have been looking for specific instructions as to the proceedure, but have been able to locate ? Is there anything I should be concern about other than the removal of the front fairing?Any comments would be appreciated> many thanks John D.
#40 11-03-2010, 08:49 AM,
Wayne (WGJ46) and I searched out Phillip at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.classic-cycle.ca/">http://www.classic-cycle.ca/</a><!-- m --> and got the first two sets that he made, matching the hoses I sent to him for the 85 Aspencade.

I do believe he made some alterations as per our suggestions, such as a swivel connection on the clutch slave and matching to OEM connectors.

I haven't seen any lines since we got ours so it would be best to email Phillip ask some questions.

The removal of the fairing is the only difficult part and that's not as bad as one would expect and does give one the opportunity to inspect all the electrical connections while in there.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#41 11-03-2010, 12:38 PM,
HI Tricky--- Thanks for the info, I have a set of venco wings brake lines. So will follow the Clymer manuel and take my time.,removing the fairing.Will keep you posted 8) Regards John D. ,
#42 11-05-2010, 10:34 AM,
I was looking at Venco, and after investigation found he was using a certain manufacturer and just adding more than $100 on to their price, that is why I searched out a Canadian supplier who supplied the same product at possibly half the price.
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#43 11-05-2010, 12:05 PM,
Thanks Tricky-- What can I say!?Igot mine in June,and I believe I paid about 240.00. What are you gonna do ? :evil: Regards John D.
#44 11-05-2010, 04:06 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  84 aspencade vs. 85-87 brake hoses unionjack 6 2,304 04-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Last Post: unionjack
  braided stainless steel brake hoses 19 5,314 03-27-2010, 07:23 AM
Last Post: bluewing
  If youwonder if you need to update your old brake hoses... admin 31 8,566 06-22-2009, 04:19 PM
Last Post: Guest
  STAINLESS STEEL BRAKE HOSES, GREAT PRICE admin 4 2,025 04-14-2009, 05:25 PM
Last Post: SIR tricky