Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
ARE YOUR BRAKE HOSES TOO OLD? 10% discount on new ones here
I've been running these braided stainless steel brake hoses on my 84 Aspencade for over 7 years with no problems and to this point I have not come across a better supplier for our braided stainless steel brake hoses. There are cheaper suppliers out there, but, do you really want to risk a few dollars when it comes to your brakes. To me it's just not worth trusting some second rate brake hose builder and finding out after they failed that we should have went with the premium quality brake hoses. And if you're thinking about getting new brake hoses from the Honda dealer you will be shocked at the price and you will also be shocked to realize that the new hose will actually be an old part that has been sitting in some warehouse for 25 years.

I have done extensive research and I feel that the best way to upgrade your old brake hoses is to install braided stainless steel brake hoses as the replacement. I have also done extensive research on a number of suppliers and the only one that can consistently deliver a top of the line product when it comes to stainless steel brake hoses is Venco Wings http://www.vencowings.com The nicest part about dealing with Venco Wings is that he (Jim, store owner) has agreed to give every member of this site a 10% discount on all GL1200 stainless steel brake hose sets as long as you copy and paste the attached coupon into your order when you order your stainless steel brake hoses. Order from this link: http://www.vencowings.com and copy and paste the coupon from the attachment into your email when you order.

Here are some benefits of dealing with Venco Wings: his brake hoses are DOT approved, he sells water pumps and stators for our GL1200's and he is a full service Gold Wing shop that will work on our GL1200's and he has a factory trained technician that was trained to work on our GL1200's. Jim also sells Kuryakin safety chrome as well and it is always a pleasure to deal with Venco Wings.

Just so you all know, I do not receive a penny of compensation from Venco Wings for doing this safety blitz. I'm doing it solely from a point of safety and looking out for the members of my site and their GL1200s'. As I explained earlier, those old brake hoses may pose a safety hazard when their number comes up.

Oops, apparently a link was not working in the email I sent, this one works: http://www.goodridge.net/usa/pdf/all_mar...rubber.pdf http://www.goodridge.net/usa/pdf/all_ma ... rubber.pdf
After you receive your new brake hose set please come back here and tell me what you think of them.

Vic, site owner and administrator

P.S. Just received a PM telling me that the stainless brake hoses can be had cheaper elsewhere, here is my response.

I had a set of HEL's and I have a set of Galfer's and they don't compare to the ones I recommend. The fittings are different, no clips to hold them into the brackets, they are not DOT approved and the worse part of all is that they use a separate brass adaptor inside the the fittings to make them compatible with the inverted flare which makes them a nightmare to install on the 1200. I've also tried the route of having the brake hoses built by a local company and that turned into a joke. Venco hoses fit the bike precisely, they are DOT approved, they have high UV outside tube, they have the matching clutch hose complete, they ship USPS without a hassle, you don't have to send your old hoses in for matching and if you have a problem with them there is no problems with Venco fixing the problem or taking them back . There's lots and lots of cheap hoses out there and if you want to experiment with the brakes on your bike by all means go ahead but I will sure miss you if anything goes wrong with your discount brake hoses. As I said in the email, I trust these hoses because I use them on my bike and have for the last 7 years and from ordering experience with other bikes. Venco will give you the least hassle when ordering and the least hassle if there is a problem. I never stated that they were the cheapest brake hose out there I just said that I thought, from experience, they were the best which is the only reason I would recommend them to a fellow GL1200 owner, especially since they are a brake item. I have read stories about how the cheaper brake hoses have ruptured or the fitting has blown off the end of a cheap brake hose. That's not for me on a big bike like the GL1200, I need to know that I can stop when I need to stop. [u]Also, bear in mind that if you choose to go with cheaper racing brake hoses, be aware that they might not be DOT approved and this could impact you heavily if you get into an accident if the brake hoses fail, your insurance might not pay up because you chose to skimp on non DOT brake hoses.

Attached Files
.doc   Venco Wings coupon.doc (Size: 25 KB / Downloads: 402)
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#1 05-08-2009, 09:49 AM,
Please, if you have any questions do not email me for answers as it is much better if we share the knowledge with others right here on the site. Tongue

#2 05-08-2009, 08:35 PM,
THANKS for the info and it makes so much sense.
85 Aspencade
93 Aspencade
Loving life
#3 05-09-2009, 05:55 AM,
This link should work; <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.goodridge.net/usa/pdf/all_markets/Goodridge_stainless_v_rubber.pdf">http://www.goodridge.net/usa/pdf/all_ma ... rubber.pdf</a><!-- m -->
NOTE: Our website (Goodridge) is currently being re-designed and should be up and running shortly.

#4 05-09-2009, 07:55 AM,
Thanks for the info VIc.
but thats something i cant afford right now :cry: :cry:
85' GL 1200 Interstate - My Picture Thread
[Image: signaturebg4.jpg]
#5 05-09-2009, 09:06 AM,
It's kind of like driving on tires with the cords showing through the rubber. I sure hope that they don't let go on you William because if they do you will be saying that the price of replacements were awfully cheap. When I had the original brake hoses on my Wing I often wondered when they were going to fail. I'm just glad that I never had to find out when they actually failed. Just save up a little at a time for new ones and I know that you'll do a terrific job of installing them.

#6 05-09-2009, 11:06 AM,
You're smart man Gary and it sounds like you know your priorites quite well. :-bd

#7 05-09-2009, 06:09 PM,
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#8 05-09-2009, 08:21 PM,
I plan to order a set tomorrow. Your sage advice is sincerely appreciated. I'm sure there's other important parts on the 'don't skimp' list, but surely tires and brake lines have to be in the top 5.
Charlie
1992 GL1500 SE
[Image: Visited.jpg]
#9 05-10-2009, 04:30 PM,
Don't forget the gas lines also.

#10 05-10-2009, 07:26 PM,
This post reminds me of something my dad used to tell me... I was working on my first car and was looking to hop up the performance on it... He told me to first go through the brake system and spend my money there... His words were “If the car won't run, it's inconvenient. If the car won't stop, it's lethal"...
Ed Zogg
#11 05-11-2009, 04:41 AM,
Thanks for the head's up Vic, I will inspect the brake and fuel lines and if they look good I will leave them over the summer and replace them all in the winter. I agree 25 years is warning enough that this has to be done.

A couple of questions, does the LTD use the same brake line hoses as the Aspencade / Interstate? Also, which supplier did you use for your fuel line replacement? I would guess the fuel injection bikes differ in terms of components for fuel lines - only a guess. If anyone can enlighten me I would appreciate it.

Thanks and ride safe,

Ray
#12 05-11-2009, 06:39 AM,
Ed Z Wrote:This post reminds me of something my dad used to tell me... I was working on my first car and was looking to hop up the performance on it... He told me to first go through the brake system and spend my money there... His words were “If the car won't run, it's inconvenient. If the car won't stop, it's lethal"...

Sounds like your dad's a very smart man Ed.

#13 05-11-2009, 07:22 AM,
SnowWing Wrote:Thanks for the head's up Vic, I will inspect the brake and fuel lines and if they look good I will leave them over the summer and replace them all in the winter. I agree 25 years is warning enough that this has to be done.

A couple of questions, does the LTD use the same brake line hoses as the Aspencade / Interstate? Also, which supplier did you use for your fuel line replacement? I would guess the fuel injection bikes differ in terms of components for fuel lines - only a guess. If anyone can enlighten me I would appreciate it.

Thanks and ride safe,

Ray

As far as my research showed me, all the brake hoses are the same on all models of GL1200's from 84 - 87.

For my gas hose I used bulk gas hose cut to measure and available at Car Quest. Most auto parts stores will have the gas hose you need. Just measure the length you need and they will cut it for you.

#14 05-11-2009, 07:26 AM,
Thanks for checking that info out John. If I come across a better value on the stainless steel brake hoses I will certainly let the site know about it. There's lots of cheaper hoses out there but nothing that I would recommend for something as important as brakes.

#15 05-11-2009, 11:41 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  84 aspencade vs. 85-87 brake hoses unionjack 6 2,273 04-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Last Post: unionjack
  braided stainless steel brake hoses 19 5,200 03-27-2010, 07:23 AM
Last Post: bluewing
  If youwonder if you need to update your old brake hoses... admin 31 8,412 06-22-2009, 04:19 PM
Last Post: Guest
  STAINLESS STEEL BRAKE HOSES, GREAT PRICE admin 4 1,995 04-14-2009, 05:25 PM
Last Post: SIR tricky