Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Pops & shoots at low speeds even when warm.
Remember when you clean, to clean with gas as some carb cleaners will destroy the rubber used throughout the carb assembly.
I don't mind admitting I had to remove my carbs 8 times before I was able to get the bike running correctly.
Other than cleaning the jets and the ports repeatedly, I also found that the throttle needle slides were not sliding smoothly due to gas vapor coating both the sides of the piston and the walls of the piston slide cylinder. It made for a very poor transition when opening the throttle slowly. Remember, a difference of atmospheric pressure is what causes those needles to float up and down.
I ended up cleaning all surfaces of the piston and the cylinder with gas until spotless clean, making for absolute certain that the diaphragms and return springs were seated properly upon reassembly. I would slide each throttle needle piston up with my finger then quickly release waning to hear the 'snap' as the piston came to rest.

I replaced all the vacuum hoses and used safety wire instead of reusing those little factory hose clamps, going out and buying new OEM or going to the auto parts store for those really small hose clamps.
Once I synched the carbs with my mercury sticks, the bike ran the best she has run in over two years. (she sat unused and unloved for two years)

I also pinched an intake manifold o-ring when it fell out of it's groove while installing the assembly. This caused a vacuum leak which caused problems.

If you haven't cleaned the throttle needles, their pistons and the cylinders, try that before resorting to the stealership, then let us know what happened.

Good Luck.

-Ride On ~O)
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#16 02-29-2012, 10:35 PM,
bs175dths Wrote:Remember when you clean, to clean with gas as some carb cleaners will destroy the rubber used throughout the carb assembly.
I don't mind admitting I had to remove my carbs 8 times before I was able to get the bike running correctly.
Other than cleaning the jets and the ports repeatedly, I also found that the throttle needle slides were not sliding smoothly due to gas vapor coating both the sides of the piston and the walls of the piston slide cylinder. It made for a very poor transition when opening the throttle slowly. Remember, a difference of atmospheric pressure is what causes those needles to float up and down.
I ended up cleaning all surfaces of the piston and the cylinder with gas until spotless clean, making for absolute certain that the diaphragms and return springs were seated properly upon reassembly. I would slide each throttle needle piston up with my finger then quickly release waning to hear the 'snap' as the piston came to rest.

I replaced all the vacuum hoses and used safety wire instead of reusing those little factory hose clamps, going out and buying new OEM or going to the auto parts store for those really small hose clamps.
Once I synched the carbs with my mercury sticks, the bike ran the best she has run in over two years. (she sat unused and unloved for two years)

I also pinched an intake manifold o-ring when it fell out of it's groove while installing the assembly. This caused a vacuum leak which caused problems.

If you haven't cleaned the throttle needles, their pistons and the cylinders, try that before resorting to the stealership, then let us know what happened.

Good Luck.

-Ride On ~O)

Well I deffinatly understand the two yr prob. I got the same thing here. I just took it down the road and desided to clean a spot in the shop and rip into the carbs again there has to be something I missed, oh and when I was puttin it away last fall I broke the choke lever on the bars so yea its got to come apart anywho.
#17 04-01-2012, 01:53 PM,
Did cleaning the wallet at the Honda Stealer solve your popping problem?
enjoying the view from the saddle....... due mainly to the people and information found within this site
#18 05-10-2012, 08:25 AM,
I would also say check for small exhaust leak or plugged up air filter

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
#19 05-11-2012, 08:16 PM,
Sounds like youve cleaned the carbs plenty. Second on the look for a exhaust leak. If the thing runs ok except for the popping thats probably what it is. As to cleaning as long as you take out any parts that have plastic or rubber you can vat carbs in a carb vat and get them super clean. Just blow them out well with air before you put rubber plastic parts back in. Honestly a lot of the time all the carbs need is take out the jets and bowls and vat them, blow out the carb with compressed air and your done unless they are really messed up. Its not a rebuild, and honestly if you have the cash for the kits and are gonna take the carbs off a wing you might as well rebuild them.
If your a lil short on green though 80 percent of the time getting the jets needle seats and bowls vatted will do the trick. :d
Ghost.President: G.M.M.C.C.
Member:Patriot Guard Riders
#20 05-11-2012, 10:32 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Carb still pops after rebuild 5 1,197 10-23-2011, 04:49 PM
Last Post: MRGONE