Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Pops & shoots at low speeds even when warm.
Hello all, my 85 Wing pops & shoots at low speeds anywere beyween 15 & 35 mpr. Carbs have been cleaned but maybe not good enough. I bought it with a little over 65,000 miles on it and don't really know much about it. I see reading on here I should definitly check the timing belts , it runs great when you give her the juice even with me and my wife on it but you level out and it feels like your pulling a sail , it even pops when I run the rpms up to around 1500 or so in nutral. Got me scratching my noggin don't know what to do next.

Thank You. Kelly
#1 05-05-2009, 06:51 AM,
You stated the carbs have been cleaned out.??? Does this mean they have been rebuilt or just taken apart.??? To do a good job with these carbs one must do a bit of reading up on them and be willing to take much time to get them right... Often times the carbs are worse off after cleaning or even a rebuild because of a lack of knowledge and patients went into the task... Just for one example, if the aluminum caps were not drilled out and removed, then likely the idle jet o-ring was damaged from the carb cleaner used... Another is if the correct procedure for setting the float level was not followed, they will be set wrong...

From what you have stated about the popping, I would be inclined to run a compression test first to give you an idea of what direction to go in... If there is a valve leakage issue, then the compression test should point that out... If the test comes out all good, then I'd look at the plugs and see if you can identify the cylinder that is not running 100%... Put in a set of new plugs and test the running again... If still pops, then it’s likely time for carb removal... Do insure you check out the air cut-off valve and do replace the old lines (vacuum and fuel)... Also take the time to inspect and clean the reed valve assembly as a part of the carb rebuild... Be sure to get new Orings for the carbs, manifolds, and the reed valve lines (where they plug into the manifold area)... Have a good look at Randakks site for some great info on rebuilding carbs the correct way (as well as why it's the correct way)... Randall has some great info as well as parts for this task... Check out his tech tips...
Ed Zogg
#2 05-05-2009, 06:48 PM,
Thanks guys i'll try all that.

Kelly
#3 05-06-2009, 04:37 AM,
I just rebuilt my carbs using Randakks kit and his how to carb by Howard, also have a haynes manual, I drilled out the lowspeed screw plug,

Had the carbs out three times still running LOUSY

Sync'd carbs, Still Lousy just not poping & spitting so much.

Now it has a low speed bog/hesitation load or no load it does not matter

It runs better when i put the choke on, I have to drive with it on? is that a lean low speed circuit?

I may try to adjust the low speed screws, it seems like when it gets into the med high range it runs very good.

Anyone else have this?

westwing
#4 05-09-2009, 12:04 PM,
Yes that is exactly what mine is doing. When i'm riding and the wind is just right the exh. will just about kill you it is so rich. Well to put it this way I filled it with gas reset my trip meter and went riding around I am now at just under half a tank and only got 60 miles on i'm no rocket sientist but I think something is wrong.
littleitchy
#5 05-09-2009, 01:34 PM,
I had an 1988' 6cyl goldwing in ran really rich, it turned out the airfilter was pluged and needed to be replaced
#6 05-09-2009, 01:42 PM,
Westwing...you are correct. If pulling the choke on remedies the situation, you're running too lean. The idle circuit accounts for about 15 to 20 percent of the overall function of the carbs. Since there is no accelerator pump, transition can be very uncomfortable with a bad idle circuit. You said you used the kit from Randall, and you boiled the carbs. Where did you set your base adjustment for the idle mixture screws? '86 calls for a base setting of two turns out from stop.
Littleitchy, sounds like you're running too rich. You might want to try this <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=6704">viewtopic.php?f=56&t=6704</a><!-- l -->
#7 05-09-2009, 08:39 PM,
Thanks glhonda,

I used 2 turns per Randaaks rebuild manual the one that is written by Howard I beleive, that Randakk sells. Randakks kit, it is very thourough and an excellent kit.

I have the carbs back out for another boil, they should be very tender ans tasty by now,

I noticed that the low speed jet looked like it had 4 small holes in a circle & one in the middle(or is it just one) if it is one is there a size?, it also had 4 holes on the perimeter

I just want to ride, without it felling like a bucking bronco, and riding with the choke on (Dangerous)

Thanks

Westwing
#8 05-09-2009, 09:11 PM,
Now I'm confused. I removed the slow speed jet from one of my "dead" carb racks. There are a total of eight small holes around the barrel of the jet. Two every ninety degrees. There is one hole at the tip that allows you to see through the barrel from the top or bottom.
My parts book says the slow jet should be stamped #40
#9 05-09-2009, 09:29 PM,
Glhonda

regarding the #40 size jet, how is that measured? would a #40 drill bit be the same size?

Westwing
#10 05-09-2009, 09:40 PM,
They make gauge sets for measuring the jets, but I've never compared them to a drill size. Makes sense, but I can't say for sure. Do you see a stamp on the top of the jet denoting size?
#11 05-09-2009, 09:46 PM,
Hi Glhonda,

my lowspeed jet did have 8 holes & it was a #40 jet. I found a site that says the #40 jet refers to .40mm,
I went to google to convert that to inches and used that size wire to unblock my lowspeed jets, all of them were plugged to some degree.

It runs with out hesitation and is very smooth, I noticed that I use alot less choke

Tomorrow I will sync them & adjust the low speed screw

It's very smooth, much smoother than before

Thanks

Westwing
#12 05-10-2009, 08:19 PM,
Another thing to give a checking is the spark plugs... Just worked on a friends 1100 that ran rough and had a miss (running on 3 cylinders) from time to time... Checked the plugs to get an idea which cylinder was the problem child... What I found is the pluhs had been in there so long that the gap (spec at .035) were nearly .070" .!!! As soon as I gapped them and reinstalled, the bike ran great... Went and got new plugs.!!! Also The spark plug caps had become loose... Took about 3 - 4 turns each to tighten em back up... After a 200 mile run on saturday he reports the bike never ran so good....
Ed Zogg
#13 05-11-2009, 04:27 AM,
Hello,

My bike is running rich and have decided to replace the low speed jets

Does anyone have any lowspeed #40 jets. I need 4ea or anyplace I can get them?

Thanks

Westwing
#14 08-31-2009, 04:19 PM,
OK Its been a while but I've taken the carbs off cleaned and checked them over, put the Randakks kits in them, put new belts on, and put new head gaskets in it and had the carbs synked. Allthough it does run alittle better it still pops a little at lower speeds. The carbs were dirty so they got a good soakin and scrubbin, had to replace one float, the other three were replaced once before there was only one that was nansty brown and half full of gas. The whole job was ALOT easier then it looks. Just don't know what to do with it next other then take it to the local Honda dealer for a good wallet cleanin. Oh and every thing I bought less the timin belts and carb kits I bought at a Honda dealer. :-\
#15 09-30-2011, 07:24 AM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Carb still pops after rebuild 5 1,512 10-23-2011, 04:49 PM
Last Post: MRGONE