Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How much time to remove/replace wheels?
I've seen a few messages about what's entailed in removing and replacing the wheels. Does anyone have a sense of how much time is involved for a first-timer? If I do this I'll have to take it pretty slow and carefully to make sure I'm not missing anything.

I was going to ride my GL to a shop and have it done but got to the end of my driveway and discovered a big bubble on the rear. Probably not too safe to see if it can make 30 miles in that condition, so I'll have to get dirty.

Bill
#1 04-27-2009, 04:39 PM,
I don't want to queston your mechanic abilities, but with the owners manual you should be able to remove both in a couple hours. Good luck
1986 Aspencade
#2 04-27-2009, 04:43 PM,
Then after practice about 30-45 minutes Smile
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#3 04-27-2009, 04:51 PM,
Welcome to the site, Bill. Can you post your location in your Profile right away?
Ian
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination, that matters.
#4 04-27-2009, 04:53 PM,
Okay, I guess the reason I asked is that I have a Markland trailer hitch on the bike and I remember my previous dealer being really ticked off and charging me extra because of the time and hassle getting it off and on. I was figuring I'd have to suffer through some of that mess. But maybe not! Since it's not my primary transportation I'll go ahead and start on it this weekend so no matter how long it takes - no problem. I was also a little concerned about the procedure (my manuals are buried in the garage so that's why I couldn't check for myself yet.)

Thanks guys!

(and yes, I posted stuff in the Profile - thanks for the reminder!)
#5 04-28-2009, 02:40 PM,
Wheel is off, getting tire mounted.

Now, before i take possession of my new tire/wheel combo and start the reinstallation process, what other things should I do while it's off? Here's what I plan so far:

1. Ordered the Monroe boots mentioned elsewhere, and will install those.
2. The rotor needs turning or I need a replacement... that should be fun.
3. Possible replace the brake lines - new braided ones if I do it.

What else can only be done with the wheel off?

Thanks, Guys...

Bill
#6 05-11-2009, 12:18 PM,
Check the wheel bearings carefully, get some 60% moly grease for the drive splines...
Ed Zogg
#7 05-11-2009, 06:25 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Both Wheels Off at the Same Time? ember1205 4 3,366 06-12-2014, 06:14 PM
Last Post: ember1205
  Time to replace the front tire... staijo 2 1,501 09-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Last Post: unionjack