Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Just rebuilt the Carbs using Randakks Kit & Manual
Before I rebuilt the carbs I had some coughing & splitting, maybe some backfiring through the carbs.

I ran MMO several times through, several tanks, then ran seafoam through several tanks. I have to say, when I rebuilt the carbs that the pleanum was yellowish & dirty, The carbs were yellowish and dirty, also.

But carb cleaner spray cleaned that right up.

After I cleaned the carbs the bike seamed to cough and spit more than it did, I adjusted the sync by ear the best I could until I get the throttle lock. The coughing and spitting reduced signifcantly but still has some until I can get this baby sync'd

It was definitly gummed up with all the yellowish, gummy, & dirty

Randakks kit was great and the manual walked you through most of it. The Haynes manual took care of the rest.

Cant wait to try her out after a proper sync

Westwing
#1 04-25-2009, 10:22 PM,
well, I tried sync'ing the carbs

it got rid of the popping and spitting through the carbs but now it has a bog, hesitation in the throttle, the carbs dont seem to return to idle with just the return spring either

ha anyone ran across this after a rebuild

Westwing
#2 04-30-2009, 06:35 PM,
If the engine will return to idle if you twist the throttle grip closed the last few degrees - check where the throttle cable passes by the frame on the left side under the "false tank" bodywork. Any intereference here will cause the cable to bind a little bit and hang up off idle. When I did mine it was easy to get the cables in the wrong spot and cause this interference.

#3 04-30-2009, 08:29 PM,
Does the bog go away with the choke on? Is the engine up to full operating temp when it bogs?
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#4 05-01-2009, 07:00 AM,
Yes Vic,

the bog goes away after the choke is on , The only weigh I could ride it was to put the choke on, but that is dangerous and the bike wants to run away at high rpm.
I tried to adjust the lowspeed screw a little but either in or out starting at 2 turns out 1/2 turn at a time may have made it run alittle better but still ran poor with the bog/hesitation

Help?

Thanks

Westwing
#5 05-09-2009, 01:06 PM,
You may have dirt in the jets causing this problem or your reassembly was incorrect and you have an air leak in one or more of the carbs.

#6 05-09-2009, 01:13 PM,
OK,

Last time carb's were off cleaned with carb cleaner used a syringe to push water through all orfices then blew compressed air through everything.
I made bougia base de carbarator for dinner tonight,

I boiled each carb, rapid boid 5-10 minutes until aldelanta.

Looks like my slow speed jet, may have been a little closed, I tried to clear them with a very small copper wire. When I tried to look through the low speed jet actually looked like four hole's in a circle and one in the middle.

The wife looked at me like you picked mother day weekend for this. :roll: :x

I hope this time works, although I can now get the carbs pulled in less than 2 minutes, ya that ten pound sledge really knocks um outthere!
Maybe next time ill try a 9 iron the longer handle will give me a better follow through and maybe help improve my golf game.

Thanks

Westwing
#7 05-09-2009, 07:28 PM,
Whatever you do, do not reuse the o-rings, get new ones each time you pull the intakes. The old o-ring will not seal properly which may cause an air leak.

Just tell your wife that you will take her for a smooth ride on your Wing when you're done. Good luck.

#8 05-10-2009, 08:18 AM,
Thanks Vic

I Just put the carb's back in, after boiling them and pushing a wire throught the low speed jets &the highspeed jets to clear them.

Low speed jets where clogged.

I did put it back together with the old o-rings

when I started it, the bike was like brand new.

very smooth no coughing or spitting.

No bogging or hesitation and I havent even sync'd it yet, I havent even adjusted the low speed screw yet.

It's just really smooth with a very smooth throttle transition.

I am going riding tomorrow after sync'g the carbs, & adjust the throttle low speed screw

NICE!! NICE!! NICE!!

Westwing
#9 05-10-2009, 08:10 PM,
I'm glad it worked out for you. As surprising as this may sound you might even get better gas mileage because you unclogged those jets and now the different carb circuits are working properly.

#10 05-10-2009, 08:15 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Carbs rebuilt but... Wing nut 13 3,759 02-28-2012, 09:35 PM
Last Post: unionjack
  Just rebuilt my carbs 7 3,048 10-29-2010, 03:28 PM
Last Post: bs175dths
  I'm a happy guy! Carbs finally rebuilt! scty_p 8 2,741 05-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Last Post: DannoDeManno