Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Sputtering GL 1200
Hi, I'm a new member and I'm really desperate to fix my beautiful 1984 1200 Standard with 30.000 miles. My bike starts and runs great from idle to 2000 RPM and from there it sputters and coughs, up to the 2600 RPM mark and then it runs great again. I have serviced the plugs, fuel and air filters and I'm thinking that it might have a hole in one of the throttle valves, am I looking at a possible solution there? Please help, Thank you in advance, Mike E.
#1 04-22-2009, 01:40 PM,
Sounds like low speed jets are partly stoped up. Once they go to the high speed jets it gets enough fuel.
Poorboy
#2 04-22-2009, 03:32 PM,
Hi Mike........between 2000 and 2600? Is this in the garage, or on the street? Any particular gear?
The reason for asking is that at that low an rpm, you're putting a tremendous load on the ignition system, as well as lugging the motor.
Try a hand held timing light on each plug wire ( lucky you, not much plastic to remove on a standard) and see if you're losing spark. Very possible you've got a coil fading on you or a bad plug/wire. However, these carbs don't have accelerator pumps, so there is no additional fuel for the transition off idle. It's possible dirty carbs could cause this as well. Eliminate the ignitioin first. Much easier than pulling the carbs. And welcome!
#3 04-22-2009, 03:35 PM,
Guys, Thank you for your help. It does it while riding it in the RPM range described in any gear. Do you think that I should try some of the Seafoam fuel additive? I don't really know much about that stuff, only what I've read in the forums. I also always run premium gas but unfurtunally here in Florida all gas stations use the 10% ethanol in the gas.
#4 04-22-2009, 04:07 PM,