Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2 Average
My bike is dead and I could use your help.
Hello Guys and Gals, it has been a while since I have had a chance to participate on the boards. (Son in sports, looking for a job and getting my bike ready to go for the year) I do like all the changes that have taken place. Vic, I will make a donation just as soon as I can.

I have a problem that I could really use some help with. Since the first of the year, I have been doing a lot of work to my GL1200 to get it ready for the year. IE; new tires, complete tune-up including carb overhaul and sync rebuild front shocks and a few other odds and ends. So anyway yesterday I was excited to take my first ride of the year. And it was a wonderful day for a ride. Walked out and fired my bike up just fine no issues, purred like a kitten. Loaded up and headed out with a huge smile on my face, she was running great in fact I made the comment to my wife that in the 2 years I have owned this bike, this is the best it has ever ran. That first 86 miles were some of the best miles I have had on my bike. My wife told me that we need to stop at the next station so she can fuel up her bike for the next leg of the trip and stretch her legs a minute. Well that is where my riding day ended; the next 86 miles sitting in the tow truck with my bike on the back were nowhere near as nice as the first… hahahahaha

When we stopped, I pulled into a parking spot and shut the bike down with the key, I never use the run/stop switch. After stretching and fueling, got on bike and turned the key on and there was nothing. No digital dash, Headlight, radio, starter, fuel pump, Nothing. I carry an Ohm meter and checked my battery, 12.85V. If I jump the starter solenoid the starter will turn over. 30 Amp fuse down with the solenoid is fine, I have voltage there. I have 12.79V at the red wire of the voltage regulator both in and out and that is where it ends it seems.With the key in the ON position I have no power to the fuse block under my false tank under my little tool box there, no power to the fan motor fuse under the seat, or any of the other random fuses under the fairing pockets. So I am wondering if there is a “master Fuse” somewhere that I can not find that might have blown or if I have a larger problem. Has anybody ever had their ignition switch fail? Or could it be the “main brain” ECU/CDI ? I have not done a continuity test on the regulator yet, When I got it home yesterday afternoon I contemplating just setting out front with a for sale sign. I will test it today.
Anybody have any ideas or paths I can run down to figure out what happened? Thanks Guys

Curtis
Floridawing
Everyday is a holiday and every meal is a feast
Curtis

[Image: VisitedStatesMap-copy.jpg]
#1 04-06-2009, 07:26 AM,
Is it ASpencade or SE?

You can test the IGN switch.

The first thing I would check, it caught me out at one time, is the battery.

Charge it, then have it load tested.

It can show voltage and still not have sufficient energy to turn the engine over. Did you use the same battery to jump the starter?

It happened to me, one minute it turned over the next it was dead. I had the same readings, pulled the IGN switch, tested it (you dont need to pull the switch to test it) it was fine.
The battery had died, installed new battery it was fine.

If you are certain the battery is OK and you say your dogbone fuse (main fuse) at the solenoid is good, (change or replace fuse with auto fuse if not)
Test the switch, they have been known to go.

Trace the wires from the IGN switch, I think it is under the rubber cover on the right side of the steering well.

Attached Files
.jpg   ignswitch.jpg (Size: 121.48 KB / Downloads: 221)
The only stupid questions are the one's that are not asked.

#2 04-06-2009, 08:10 AM,
Tricky, Sorry, I should have said that it is a 84 Aspencade. I will try the battery, I could not even push start the bike, and yes I did test the starter with current battery, I tested all of that while still in the parking lot before I called the tow truck.. The dog bone fuse has been upgraded to an automotive style. I will test the IGN switch and see what that tells me as well.
Thanks
Curtis
Floridawing

P.S. I bought this battery new less than a month ago, That does not mean that it can't be defective. I just wanted to add that in.
Thanks
Curtis

#3 04-06-2009, 09:21 AM,
Most likely it's the Ign switch... I believe the 84's had a recall on em (if my memory serves)... Seems the contacts on the lower part of them become corroded (or something like that)... I believe it is possible to disassemble the switch to get at the contacts for cleaning/lubing...
Ed Zogg
#4 04-06-2009, 10:43 AM,
Thanks guys for all your help. The problem is/was at the connection between the switch and the wiring harness, it looks like the positive (red) wire had gotten hot at some point and scorched the wire and plug, not sure when it happened. All continuity tests on the switch checked OK. Again thanks for the help.

Floridawing
Curtis

#5 04-07-2009, 07:50 AM,
Are you talking the plug at the solenoid, where the 30 amp dogbone fuse is if so

You can find a remedy in thetech center

[Image: 30amp001.jpg]
[Image: solenoidwiringmod.jpg]

#6 04-07-2009, 08:34 AM,
Tricky, the connection I am taking about is under the rubber flap/protector on the right side fairing wall, it is the connection where the IGN switch connects to the wire harness.

I have upgraded the old dog bone to the 30 amp when I first got my bike and joined the site. Replaced that old system and soldered the 3 yellow wires eliminating the old plug. Thanks for the help

Floridawing
Curtis

#7 04-07-2009, 10:01 AM,
OK, I was assuming and not reading Smile
The wire doesnt get hot Now does it? (when you turn on the ign)

#8 04-07-2009, 11:02 AM,
It has not got hot yet (with me playing around with all the wires) I have ran the bike with the tank cover and everything else off the bike and nothing gets hot. Not sure when it got hot enough to melt a small spot on the connector. Bike ran great the first leg of our planned trip and has always fired up quick when starting.

Floridawing
Curtis

#9 04-07-2009, 11:46 AM,