Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Which 1200 am I looking for?
my 85 aspey has all the bells a whistles. including air conditioning, and heated floor boards. :lol:
[Image: Roadawggoldwings-1-1.jpg]
#16 03-24-2009, 02:07 PM,
Well, I've gone and done it. Bought an '87 Aspy from a guy in Minnesota (600 miles). Will be going down in a few weeks to pick it up, if the blasted snow ever melts! It looks like a nice bike and MikeF from over on the NAGF (can it put that on here?) drove 200 miles one way to go and check it out for me. Gotta luv Goldwing riders. This thing has all the bells and whistles that I'd care for, except for a cb, which I saw a non-OEM solution for someplace. I'll bring this thing home ride it on a trip or two and then decide whether to sell the Interstate or not.

And Wng Dng, I know you'll love that whitewall on the front but I've already ordered E3's to replace it. :lol:

Those front running lights must have been an option, right? I'm guessing from the LTDs?

And those gauges (altimeter, ambient temp, and voltmeter) will give me something to do when I drive across the Canadian prairies for the umpteenth time. MikeM said the voltmeter was out .5 volts from his tester when he checked the stator. Comforting thought.

Attached Files
.jpg   Front view.jpg (Size: 7.56 KB / Downloads: 303)
.jpg   LS view.jpg (Size: 8.41 KB / Downloads: 306)
.jpg   Opt Gauge package.jpg (Size: 352.38 KB / Downloads: 175)
Lawrence

'97 GL1500SE
'98 Valkyrie Std
#17 03-30-2009, 10:15 AM,
Nice looking bike wpgfire, Goldwing riders do help each other out, the people on this Forum are famous for it.
Ride safe have fun and enjoy. Lane
1985 Aspencade
2002 Vulcan
#18 03-30-2009, 10:28 AM,
Just a note on the front "running lights" you mentioned... They aren't running lights at all... They are an option to the 87 Aspy (from the SEI model)... They are in fact cornering lights... They come on (if wired OEM style) only when the blinkers are used... Which ever directional you have turned on is the one that lights up... You might want to check with the PO as to if he has the filler blanks if you want to remove the lights...
Ed Zogg
#19 03-31-2009, 06:37 AM,
Looks like a nice find Lawrence! Enjoy the ride home when you pick it up!
#20 04-03-2009, 05:22 PM,
I have an '84 Aspy. I can't imagine needing more power and I love the handling. I suppose the later ones. (85 up) are improved over mine but I really enjoy mine and although I may move up at some point, I'm not in any hurry.
#21 05-11-2009, 11:03 AM,
I think you made not just a good call but the best call in purchasing a 1987 Aspencade. The LTD and SEI are very nice, but I think the 1987 Aspencade represents the best balance of not too many options and complexity, but not too little either - just right. The 1987 Aspencade is also the best sorted of the GL1200s.

I love the digital dash on the Aspencade. It is one of the major reasons I went with a GL1200. I was considering a Suzuki Cavalcade at the time, and could have bought a nice one for a good price, but I was concerned that it was somewhat of an orphan motorcycle. The GL1200 digital dash is very reliable and mostly trouble free. They don't bring any money in used condition on eBay - nobody seems to need to replace theirs.
#22 05-12-2009, 09:43 PM,
I think I'll like it, too. I just haven't been able to ride it since I test drove it when I picked it up. Started out innocently enough. Change the timing belts, rad hoses, rear shocks. Install a hitch. Seemed simple enough. But now I have a leak coming from the slave cylinder that's really getting me depressed. I wanted to be riding it this weekend (a long weekend in Canada) but it now looks like I'll be doing my riding on the '86. On the bright side, I still have a Wing to ride. Just can't get the Boss to see it that way. Apparently I'll be riding money she had earmarked for landscaping/redecorating. Seems we have a serious case of screwed up priorities. I won't comment on whose :lol: .
Lawrence

'97 GL1500SE
'98 Valkyrie Std
#23 05-13-2009, 11:07 AM,