Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
Honda Flasher Upgrade to Standard Auto Electronic Flashers
Honda Flasher Upgrade to Standard Auto Flashers

There are several reasons to make this change from the standard HONDA flasher on the earlier Goldwings. 84-87, may or may not be applicable to other years,check your wiring diagrams

1) Cost of replacement $4 to $20 versus $35 to $50+ for Honda per flasher unit opps just checked $52.44 (ouch) 38301-MG9-9681
in 1984 they used a different flasher but has now been superseded to the above part #
2) Availability when flasher fails
3) Use of correct flasher instead of Honda when using LED lights
4) Do not have to wire in resistors when using LED lights with standard
Honda flasher

Equipment Needed or supplies
1)Wirecutters
2) Soldering iron and solder if needed
3) Wirestrippers and crimp tool
4) crimp terminals 18 ga (red butt connectors insulated or non-
insulated)
5) heatshrink if needed
6) heatgun to shrink tubing

Parts Needed For Flashers with stock bulbs
Two (2) NAPA LS6235 headlight connectors or equivalent (Advance # 84790 is better option,2 in pack)
Two(2) NAPA EP34 flashers or equivalent

Parts Needed for Flashers Using LED Bulbs

if you want standard flash rate on turn signals and faster on hazard use
one (1) TMI Technoligies <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.usaled.com">http://www.usaled.com</a><!-- m --> EL-98N flasher
one (1) NAPA EP34 flasher or equivalent

if you want standard flash rate on both hazard and turn signal
two (2) ) TMI Technoligies <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.usaled.com">http://www.usaled.com</a><!-- m --> EL-98N flasher

Note: these instructions are applicable to the 1987 Aspencade
and appears applicable to the to the earlier years, on the 85 and 86, the schematic calls both flashers hazard so you will have to distinguish
which is which by using wire wire color identification or the hearing test

Remove seat and locate the flasher units(normally located to rear of fuel
tank sending unit next to frame crossmember left and right side)

[Image: Hazard-TurnFlashers-1.jpg]

Remove hazard flasher and put aside for resale online (Ebay)
Cut connector off and strip wires back enough to connect to the new headlight connector... connect wires as follows for

Hazard Flasher

New Connector ------ Honda Wire Color-------------Advance Connector Colors
Ground Wire --------- Green/Black---------------------Adv Conn Color BLACK
Lo Beam -------------- Pink/white stripe---------------Adv Conn Color GREEN
High Beam ----------- Green----------------------------Adv Conn Color RED

Turn Signal Flasher

New Connector ...... Honda Wire Color-------------------Advance Connector Colors
Ground Wire ...... ....White/Green stripe------------------Adv Conn Color BLACK
Lo Beam ...... ..........Grey --------------------------------Adv Conn Color GREEN
High Beam ...... .......Blue/Black----------------------------Adv Conn Color RED

Note: on an 86 SEI conversion had to add a wire to the high beam wire to ground to get turn signals to work correctly ( may be just a one bike fluke though)

[Image: HazFlasher-1.jpg]

[Image: TurnFlasher-1.jpg]

NOW IF YOU HAVE A FAILURE ON THE ROAD U WILL NOT BE STRANDED BY MOTHER HONDA

ANY any auto parts store ,truckshop, gas station,repair shop.Advance,Fisher,O’Reilly,Wal-Mart , Sears, K-Mart, Home Depot, Lowes ,Tractor Supply, and others will HAVE A THREE PRONG STANDARD AUTO FLASHER may not flash correctly but it will
get u right back on road with no delays. AND not cost u the $50 +
that your Honda dealer will want AFTER they special order it in.

OH BY THE WAY RECOUP YOUR CONVERSION COST BY SELLING THEM ON EBAY

SOMEBODY WHO WANTS A COSTLY FAILURE NEEDS THEM !!!!

HID HEADLIGHT conversion coming soon
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#1 03-07-2009, 11:02 PM,
Great article, thank you.
Ed (Vic) Belanger - 1954-2015
Founder of gl1200goldwings.com

#2 03-08-2009, 03:49 PM,
#3 06-10-2009, 06:34 PM,
using two napa flashers will probably find that at least on the turn signals they will flash faster than normal

and depending on your supplier u will probably find that your pocket will be thinner

and at the time i was a napa emplyee when i bought the flashers
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#4 09-01-2009, 03:39 AM,
I'd just like to add that on my 86I both flasher units are located beside the CDI box, hazard to the left of the box and flasher to the right. The flasher is down below some other relays and kind of hard to get to.
Turtle
86 Interstate, ex  police bike
85 LTD, parting out

[Image: VisitedStatesMap.jpg]
#5 09-01-2009, 06:35 AM,
Three (maybe dumb) questions:

1. Can you use the electronic flasher with standard lights?

2. Are the flashers connectorized? (Note: pictures don't load at work, and I can't re-fresh my memory with the original post.)

3. If I upgrade to standard NAPA flashers and subsequently switch to LED lighting, is it an easy flasher swap, or do I need to go through the whole solder routine again?

I'm starting to notice the first symptoms of PMS...Parked Motorcycle Syndrome.
#6 01-19-2010, 05:42 AM,
pstetler,
1)i would think that you could because after tearing apart the stock honda flasher it would appear to already be electronic
2)flashers are simple plugin,what you have done is convert to standard auto flasher connector
3)any comparable 3 prong auto flasher will plug in once the connector is switched ,easy plug-in

all the napa flashers i used and tried had a quicker flash rate than the normal honda flasher which is why i used the aftermarket flasher in the turn signal circuit and the napa in the hazard

since I was limited to what the store had in stock for testing,there were two i couldn't test but may work but the cost was way more than what i used,the flasher i used in the turn signal circuit was actually cheaper than the napa flasher and at the time i worked there :d

if anybody needs some standard honda flashers,let me know have several for sale
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#7 01-19-2010, 09:21 AM,
i really dont know since mine didn't work before i changed them

i would think that the flashers are separate from the circuit which controls that function, i think mine still do work but not all the time its like they have a mind of their own
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#8 03-23-2010, 07:59 PM,
actually the reason i went with the electronic flasher was to get the flash rate back to a stock level once i had upgraded to auto style flashers and leds

and the upgrade came about when my stock flasher blew out and i found it wiped out four separate fuses when it went plus it was $56 from honda and a week minimum to get it,auto parts store had parts in stock for upgrade that day and was a simple fix once i figured out the wiring circuit and it all cost me less than the cost of a honda flasher

now it seems that the honda flashers are everywhere on ebay but at the time
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#9 07-30-2010, 08:42 PM,
thats a good " how to " artical there and i'm going to get some parts to do it when the time comes but if i remember right michigan doesn't require turn signals on a motorcycle, go figure
'75cb750 ,'79cb750superK,
'93gl1500se, '79cb 750f,
'85cb450sc, '05sunL70
'06 ST 1300....william
#10 08-02-2010, 10:58 AM,
maybe they figure that most people who ride have two arms :lol: :lol:

saw a biker yesterday leaving a biker bar using crutches and he stored the crutches on the right side and had
what looked like a "suicide" lever hooked on the right side which must have been for brakes,come to find out the guy only had one leg,now if that isn't i diehard biker
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#11 08-02-2010, 02:31 PM,
Very helpful. For those who purchased their connector at AutoZone or elsewhere with all black wires, the following picture of the Advance pigtail showing their color scheme may be helpful:

[Image: 5760056_rnb_84790_pri_larg.jpg]

Also, I had trouble getting it to work and found out I had blown the fuse in doing testing the wiring. It was confusing as the lights all seemed to come on when the key was on, but the flasher would not work.

BTW, I was working on my SIL's '84 Wing helping him with this connector. Mine is an '81 CB900C.

Love these forums!
#12 10-08-2011, 03:54 PM,
I do believe that I found this post just in time.

On my '86 Aspy the emergency flashers work, (I don't want to use them as the button does not turn off very easily. tried some WD40 but it didn't help much) but the turn signals don't. The fuse is good.

When I bought the bike the PO said the turn signals worked but probably didn't because it was cold. 35 deg. They didn't work today when it was 65 so I have a problem.

1. Are the turn signals in the fairing on all the time as running lights? If so, then they are working as designed. When I pull the turn signal switch for a left turn, the left fairing light turns off, right one stays on and rear turn signal doesn't turn on. Same thing happens if turning right, right light goes off nothing in the back. Indicators in the dash don't come on either.

2. Are what you call the flashers, the same as the service manual calls relays? In the schematic, I couldn't find any "flashers". In another post I believe Seabee tapped his "flasher" and it started working again. Do you know if on the '86 they are under the seat? The service manual is very vague on the location of the "relays".

Your upgrade sure looks like it might fix my problem, and an easy one. what do you think?

Thanks for your help.

Rich
#13 03-11-2012, 09:47 PM,
yes sounds like a relay has gone bad,u could swap out the hazard flasher to the opposite side and if it works ok its a defective "flasher",if not sounds like you have bulb problem
1987 Aspencade 129K
1986 SEI 93K
2014 Tri-Glide HD 17K

Hancock,MD
#14 03-11-2012, 10:01 PM,
Thanks for all the info, $42.00 later,I now have blinkers and flashers that work. 2/3rds the price of one Honda flasher.

Garyft was right, on the '86 Aspy, the flasher units are up front under the false tank, to the right and below the CDI box. The only way I found them was by the ticking of the hazzard flasher, then I had to feel around until I felt the box ticking. They are hard to get at and if you have big hands, good luck trying to rewire the new sockets. Honda didn't leave very much wire wip to work with.

It turns out the original blinker wires and connector going into the flasher were loose or corrodid. If I moved them around the turn signals work. so I just replaced both with the Advanced Auto sockets and flashers.

One other thing, on my '86, the green/black hazzard wire was white/black stripe. all the other wire colors were as you stated above.

Thanks again for the info. ^Smile^

Rich
#15 04-23-2012, 10:40 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Honda Flasher Upgrade to Standard Auto Flashers - ??? 6 3,227 05-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Last Post: Guest
  Finished flasher upgrade- Cool 2 1,490 04-17-2009, 04:53 PM
Last Post: neoracer
  Brake Flashers DaFueler 3 2,251 05-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Last Post: DaFueler