Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Find or recommend a GL1200 shop in your area here!
I use a local independent shop for my car (Acura NSX) and would like to find the local GL1200 expert for my area. (My Acura mechanic is excellent and I wouldn't take my car anywhere else.) Accordingly, I propose a new Forum, titled "Find or recommend a GL1200 Shop in your area", in order that we can locate or recommend expert shops or mechanics who are willing to work on and demonstrate a particular knowledge of or affinity for GL1200s. If your recommendation is a dealership, that is okay if you have had a good experience with them. But since I read that a lot of dealerships don't want to work on our vintage Hondas, or lack the expertise to do so, I would also hope to see independent shops recommended, as the best place to take your bike (or car) isn't necessarily the dealership, it is to the person or business that demonstrates a sufficient level of knowledge, expertise, and passion for the GL1200. Feel free to use this thread (hopefully to become a forum) to inquire about or recommend a shop in your area, wherever that may be. If we share information we can collaboratively build a sound GL1200 network of recommended mechanics, helping ourselves and their businesses in the process (win-win). I will go first...

I am looking for a local GL1200 shop in Northern Virginia. I hear of an independent cycle shop near the Warrenton (HWY) airport, but there is very little information available on the internet for this shop. I also understand that there is a good independent cycle shop in Funkstown, Maryland. I am considering both of these for heavier work such as tire changes, stator replacement, etc. Any observations or recommendations?
#1 03-01-2009, 09:27 AM,
There was someone compiling a list of such meachanics (nation wide)... I just can't remember whom that was nor what site it was on... It seems to me it was on the GWRRA site, but I was not able to find it on my search...
In the situation you are currently in, I belive if you find a good bike mechanic that is willing to read the manual, then most of them can work on these ole 1200's... Another route maybe to find current Honda mechanics that have been around for several years (back when these bikes were more commonly found at the dealers)... Possibly one of them would be willing to do your repairs on the side (after hours or at their home)...

Just a couple thoughts...
Ed Zogg
#2 03-01-2009, 10:02 AM,
I have read about such a list, I just have never seen one. I would like for this to become a national list, plus Canada and any other place that GL1200s are located. So I thought we could have a GL1200 one here, which isn't to say that they wouldn't work on other bikes. Probably the ideal candidate for this list is an independent motorcycle shop that welcomes GL1200s, but can handle just about any vintage japanese motorcycle that shows up. (I agree that finding a mechanic that is a little bit older could be helpful.) It isn't too tough to find the nearest Honda motorcycle dealership, but identifying those excellent but not well known independent shops is a little more tricky. Still, if you have a local Honda (or Yamaha, for that matter) dealership that you swear by, give them a shout-out here.

I am appointing myself Regional Shop Finder for Northern Virginia and Maryland. I may expand into Eastern West Virginia and South Central Pennsylvania at a later time. See my first review in the next post.
#3 03-01-2009, 10:27 AM,
Here is a perfect example of just the kind of place to look for...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mcofmd.com/">http://www.mcofmd.com/</a><!-- m -->

Motorcycle Classics of Maryland is located in Myersville, Maryland and specializes in classic japanese motorcycles. In their words, "if you have had trouble finding someone to work on your older motorcycle, you've come to the right place." On their service page, they give a generalized list of costs* for various common services, and it is encouraging to note that on the service page there is a Gold Wing behind the mechanic (and apparently owner) in the picture. Service by appointment only - it is a small shop. Someone should try them out and post their experience on this forum.

*They say right up front that they charge a premium for Wingnuts, but this isn't unreasonable, as on the 'Wing some projects take longer as there is more stuff to take off to, say, change a rear tire.

Post a review of your local shop here!
#4 03-01-2009, 10:39 AM,
there is american wings and freds trike shop in my area
'75cb750 ,'79cb750superK,
'93gl1500se, '79cb 750f,
'85cb450sc, '05sunL70
'06 ST 1300....william
#5 03-02-2009, 06:52 AM,
If you had a good experience and want to recommend a local dealership, that is fine too.

How about a little more information on American Wings and Fred's Trike Shop? Website? What city/town are they in? Phone number? Any general information you would like to add?
#6 03-02-2009, 02:33 PM,
I have a guy here who is a pretty fair wrench. What he doesn't know about the gl1200's, he's able to find in forums. I use him pretty much exclusively for all the work on my bike. He's does good work, but sometimes it's a real chore to get him going.
#7 03-02-2009, 06:34 PM,
What's he charge? 8) 8) 8)
#8 03-02-2009, 08:47 PM,
Lance Wrote:What's he charge? 8) 8) 8)

Whatever I decide to pay him. Maybe that's why it's so hard to get him motivated! :roll:
#9 03-02-2009, 08:53 PM,
glhonda Wrote:

Whatever I decide to pay him. Maybe that's why it's so hard to get him motivated! :roll:

If yer name's Marty, this mechanic that gl know's is REALLY cheap!!! :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:
1985 Limited Edition
#10 03-02-2009, 11:01 PM,
Jettdirect Wrote:If you had a good experience and want to recommend a local dealership, that is fine too.

How about a little more information on American Wings and Fred's Trike Shop? Website? What city/town are they in? Phone number? Any general information you would like to add?
freds has a web site <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.fredsbikesandtrikes.com">http://www.fredsbikesandtrikes.com</a><!-- m --> unfortunantly american wings does not but you can contact them at 1=734-727-4903 or visit the store located at 31805 michigan ave. wayne mi. 48184
'75cb750 ,'79cb750superK,
'93gl1500se, '79cb 750f,
'85cb450sc, '05sunL70
'06 ST 1300....william
#11 03-03-2009, 03:34 PM,
roscoepc Wrote:
glhonda Wrote:

If yer name's Marty, this mechanic that gl know's is REALLY cheap!!! :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

Cool it ROS, or I'll have Marty adjust your post count!
#12 03-03-2009, 04:11 PM,
In the Tacoma Wa area, I had a 1200 friend, highly recommend Crazy Larry's motorcycle shop. it is located in the back of the parking lot behind B&I store, about 82nd and South Tacoma Way
I found them to be nice people that don't look down at a 1200, 1100 or 1000, or any other bike.
The main mechanic used to work for Tacoma Honda, I've been told.
I bought my rectifier/regulator from them, they had to special order it in and I had it in my hand in 4 days, it has worked perfectly for 1 1/2 years
They also sell Neon lights for motorcycles, on the web. -- do a google search-- for Crazy Larry's you will find a listing for neon lights

Also the new South Bound Honda, has been helpful, but I have not asked for service on my bike only parts info. but they said they would order anything that is available.
The other honda shop in Tacoma turned me down flat, when I asked for some parts info, saying they don't bother with bikes over 10 years.
Dave R
Patriot Guard Rider
Previous bikes[/size]
CT 90--- 1960 125 Benly (Honda)--- Insane minibike with 125 Honda motor--- 1982 CB 650
current bikes
1987 CN 250 Helix--- 1985 GL1200 LTD
#13 03-03-2009, 06:35 PM,
Hey Dave~ South Bound Honda in Tacoma is the only Honda dealer I'd do business with. Dale and Vicki are first class people with tons of experience and expertise. Dale is the mechanic/owner I've mentioned in a few of my posts. He's always helpful and straight forward with advise, no matter how much it costs him. He's loaned me special tools (even GAVE me a couple). Of course, Dale and I go back some twenty plus years, but regardless, you can always expect these people to be straight shooters. BTW. I've seen a couple posts for Elite III
tires advertised for 95.00 and change. These are their normal everyday prices. I don't even bother shopping around any more. I prefer to do my own work, but if needed, I have a reputable place to go when I get in over my head. Highly recommended.
#14 03-03-2009, 07:59 PM,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I find an original Honda Shop Manual? DannoDeManno 10 4,526 11-29-2011, 12:24 PM
Last Post: Granpah